Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Customer Requirement: To implement VF RSS using ixgbevf driver. Customer wants to know how to turn on RSS support on ixgbevf. Customer Observation: Using 3.3.2 ixgbevf in guest and 5.0.4 ixgbe on host. I noticed that even though there are two RX queue

Muthurajan_J_Intel

Customer Requirement:

To implement VF RSS using ixgbevf driver. Customer wants to know how to turn on RSS support on ixgbevf.

Customer Observation:

Using 3.3.2 ixgbevf in guest and 5.0.4 ixgbe on host. I noticed that even though there are two RX queues for each VF, but pretty much all the packets go to the first RX queue. The RSS related features are also not supported. How to turn on the RSS support on ixgbevf? If it does not support RSS, what's the point having multiple queues in ixgbevf?

To help customer, can I please request

So kindly requesting as

1. 1) Clearly step by step showing as how they can turn on RSS support on ixgbevf?
  2. 2) In case kindly you can show a sample code where may be a function is really turning on RSS support on ixgbevf – that will be highly helpful.
  3. 3) May be a sample application is already doing it.
  4. 4) And last, what the limitation in RED means – even though RSS is workable in ixgbevf – what the limitation in red mean please? – so that they correctly set their expectation and use it correctly please

The limitation for VF RSS on Intel® 82599 10 Gigabit Ethernet Controller is: The hash and key are shared among PF and all VF, the RETA table with 128 entries is also shared among PF and all VF; So it could not to provide a method to query the hash and reta content per VF on guest, while, if possible, please query them on host(PF) for the shared RETA information.

0 Kudos
0 Replies