Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Dell X710-DA2 will not PXE boot

EBodo1
Beginner

Hi Sharon,

I just run into an issue with the Intel recommended AFBR-709DMZ-IN2 module which is not working in Dell C6420 servers provided with X710-DA2 for OCP card.

Card will not PXE boot and when I load the Linux latest i40e driver 2.4.10 I'm getting the following message:

[ 205.628138] i40e 0000:18:00.1: Rx/Tx is disabled on this device because the module does not meet thermal requirements.

[ 205.628858] i40e 0000:18:00.1: Refer to the Intel(R) Ethernet Adapters and Devices User Guide for a list of supported modules.

X710 card has DELL OEM firmware version 18.5.17.

I downgraded the firmware to version 18.6.3 but still the same issue.

This card is working well with module Cisco SFBR-5716PZ with both firmware.

Thanks,

Endre Bodoni

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Thank you for posting in Intel Wired Ethernet Communities. The AFBR-709DMZ-IN2 is listed as a https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000007045/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Compatible SFP Module for Intel X710 adapters. Since this is an OEM Dell X710 adapter the supported modules may be different. Have you checked with Dell if this is a supported SFP module for the OEM version? If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
EBodo1
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for you quick reply. We are checking now with DELL as they delivered as a working solution which definitely is not. At the moment they will send us a different transceivers which hopefully will work.

I was just curious if Intel had any other complains regarding this type of cards and SFP+.

Thanks,

Endre

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Thank you for the reply. Intel retail adapters with the compatible SFP modules generally work. Usually issues occur when an unsupported module is used by mistake. Dell would be able to best provide you the module to use with this adapter, and if AFBR-709DMZ-IN2 is compatible. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Checking if you were able to get the compatible module from Dell. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D
0 Kudos
EBodo1
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

Dell still hasn't solved this issue yet. They promised a 7 days delivery for replacement but nothing happened so far. We are stuck at the moment with the cluster delivery. I'll let you know when sorted out.

Regards,

Endre

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Thank you for the reply. Please let us know if the replacement solves the issue. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
EBodo1
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

I've just got announced that DELL EMC will replace the modules with SR 10GbE Part No. (407-BBZM). Will let you know if that one will work or not as I couldn't find anywhere if those are high temperature modules or not.

Regards,

Endre

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Thank you for the reply. Glad Dell was able to help you out with this. We will check back when you get the module to see if this solves the issue. Did they give you a delivery date? Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Just checking back to see if you received the module from Dell. If so, has the issue been solved? Let us know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos
EBodo1
Beginner

Hi Daniel,

I've just finished the cluster installation. Yes, indeed we received the modules from DELL on Friday night and working well.

These are the transceivers we've got:

Vendor name : DELLVendor OUI : 00:90:65Vendor PN : N8TDRVendor rev : A0Vendor SN : MY01360288S00SV

Regards,

Endre

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tuxpenguin,

Thank you for the reply. Glad to see the modules are working well. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Best regards,

Daniel D

Intel Customer Support
0 Kudos