Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

Disabling anti-spoofing protection on a VF (NIC 82576)

SPasq1
Beginner

Hello,

I have a 82576 NIC for which I enabled SR-IOV support. All seems to work fine except I want to disable the anti-spoofing proctection (as described here [1]) and the command fails:

# ip link set dev eth0 vf 0 spoofchk off

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

Anybody having a clue for this?

Distribution: Ubuntu 12.10

Kernel: 3.5.0-27-generic

igb:

igbvf driver: 2.0.1-k

[1] /message/151022# 151022 http://communities.intel.com/message/151022# 151022

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Hi Simon,

Thanx for visiting our forum.

The antispoof configuration is part of the latest release of the iproute2 tool, driver and kernel (they all work together). If you update each of these to the latest I think you will get the results you are looking for. What you currently have is not the latest iproute2 nor driver for sure.

Good luck!

- Patrick

SPasq1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply! I'll try your suggestions and report back the result.

0 Kudos
SPasq1
Beginner

Back with some news. I've upgraded kernel, igbvf and iproute2 to pretty decent versions (see below) and I have still no luck with the spoofchk flag.

iproute2: iproute2-ss130430

kernel: 3.8.8

igb: 4.1.2-k (module from kernel)

igbvf: 2.0.2-k (module from kernel)

I couldn't recompile the out-of-tree igbvf driver, I hit the same problem as described http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30198721 here and I'm not sure that it ever got fixed...

Could you tell me the exact minimal versions of kernel, igbvf and iproute2 required for it to work?

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Per my expert, the following are the minimum version requiremensts for spoofchk capability:

• iproute2: version 3.3.0 and newer
  • kernel: 3.0.0 and newer
  • igb: 4.1.2-k (module from kernel)
  • igbvf: 2.0.4 (from Source forge site).

Hope this helps.

- Patrick

SPasq1
Beginner

I tested again with the latest igbvf module which compiles fine on my Ubuntu system but I'm still hitting the same issue.

igb: 4.1.2-k

igbvf: 2.3.2

kernel: 3.8.0-26

iproute2: iproute2-ss130716

$ ip link set p5p2 vf 1 spoofchk off

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

Any hint?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Patrick_K_Intel1
Employee

Hi Simon,

Thanks for posting to our site. We took your reproduction information (a big thanx for that!) and were able to reproduce your issue. There seems to definately be a bug somewhere - we are actively investigating it.

While I don't have an ETA on a fix, or even know if it is a problem in the kernel, the tool or the Intel driver, I will keep you aprised as I get updates.

thanx,

Patrick

0 Kudos
SPasq1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply! Ping me if you want me to test something.

0 Kudos
PK3
Beginner

Hi Patrick,

do you have any update if there is bug in kernel, driver or tool and if it was fixed already?

Thanks Pavol

0 Kudos