Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4852 Discussions

EMAC driver

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

We are looking for an EMAC driver to use in a baremetal project on a Cyclone SOC device 

Hint or tips are welcome.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Can anyone point me in a direction, is there a Cyclone V EMAC Ethernet driver / TCP driver BAREMETAL available to buy or freeware? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think we can help. 

We have a free standalone driver package offered under a BSD-2 license (way more permissive than GNU GPL). 

And it contains a web server demo based on lwIP (TCP/IP). 

You can request our driver package at: 

www.code-time.com 

Regards
0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

Is the CodeTime TCP/IP and EMAC driver still available? I can't seem to find it on http://www.code-time.com

0 Kudos
WKhad1
Beginner

Hello,

Have you found any EMAC driver to use in a baremetal project on a Cyclone SOC device?

Thanks

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

No, and there never will be. Intel has apparently abandoned the Cyclone V and lower end markets (eg you will notice there is no Quartus Prime Standard or Lite 19.1 release to go with the 19.1 Pro release).

Xilinx makes this very easy. If you have a choice, you would be smart to switch. Although Vivado FPGA tools are garbage compared to Quartus (they at least maintain them), the Xilinx SoC tools are well done and easy to use. There is a vast amount of support on the Xilinx forums and elsewhere and a Zedboard is a cheap and easy way to learn the Xilinx SoC using the free version of Vivado. The FreeRTOS with lwip example projects show how to use the EMAC driver if you really want to do baremetal (which I'd advise against).

0 Kudos
corestar
New Contributor I

And now Quartus Pro is up to Rev 19.2 while Standard and Lite are at 18.1 (going on two years behind). Apparently the people saying Intel has abandoned everything except high end data center chips were correct.

0 Kudos