cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OAlha1
Beginner

Flow director not spreading the flows on processors

Hello,

I am trying to evaluate Intel's flow director technology on a system with a Xeon E5-2643 and 4x10G XL710 Adapter.

The traffic is generated with nuttcp from client1 to server1 and from client2 to server2 (See attached document).

I was expecting Flow Director to pin each flow (different 5 tuples) on a dedicated processor ... but it does not seems to be the case. The flow are always be handle by the same processor.

Am i missing something ? shouldn't the second flow be on a different queue (processor) ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi oalhassane,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

Yes, the Intel® Ethernet Flow Director will assign the packets to the correct processor core. Can you provide more information on your test environment?

Sincerely,

Sandy

OAlha1
Beginner

Hi Sandy,

Here are some additional info on the setup:

DUT:

Processor: Dual Xeon E5-2643

Memory: 16G

NIC: 4 x 10G SFP+ XL710

Driver: i40e-1.2.38 (downloaded from the Intel website)

Kernel: linux 3.14

Client1/Client2/Server1/Server2:

Processor: i7-2600

Memory: 8G

NIC: 2 x 10G X540

Driver: in tree driver

Kernel: linux 3.2

The DUT is essentially acting as a switch; with a custom kernel module forwarding traffic between client1/server1(blue flow) and client2/server2 (green flow).

Client1/Server1 are in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24

Client2/Server2 are in the subnet 192.168.2.0/24

I've used the set_irq_affinity script (from the i40e package) to setup interrupt affinity on the NICs.

Traffic is generated with nuttcp from Client1/Client2 toward Server1/Server2 respectively.

I was hoping to achieve two simultaneous 10G flows (blue and green in the diagram).... and expecting flow director to assign each flow on a dedicated processor.

However, It seems that all traffic are handled on the same processor.

Thanks

SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi oalhassane,

Thanks for providing the additional details. I'll check on this and will update you on our findings.

Sincerely,

Sandy

SYeo3
Valued Contributor I

Hi oalhassane,

I'm sorry for the delay.

I would like to refer you to this online document. It has the switches and filter that you can configure to work with the Flow Director.

https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ixgbe.txt https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/ixgbe.txt

Please let us know if you have any questions on this.

Sincerely,

Sandy