Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Hello, We have updated the PXE Boot Agent using BootUtil (on Linux x86_64) from 1.2.32 to 1.5.85 (latest) and impossible to get the "Ctrl-S" prompt at startup.

moocan
Beginner

Hello,

We have updated the PXE Boot Agent using BootUtil (on Linux x86_64) from 1.2.32 to 1.5.85 (latest) and impossible to get the "Ctrl-S" prompt at startup.

The "Ctrl-S" prompt is not shown so impossible to enter the Configuration Setup Menu.

Ethernet Adapter with 1.2.32 is displaying the Ctrl-S while none with 1.5.85 display it (same hardware).

There is no "-setupenable" switch with BootUtil.

the -bootenable does change nothing or

"Repeatedly press Ctrl+Simmediately after POST until the Configuration Setup Menu appears." as suggested in the troubleshooting guide does not work.

Thanks for your help

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, We have confirmed with our engineers that this feature was removed years ago to free up space as we are limited to 64KB for option ROMs. All configuration is now done with bootutil. Please let us know if you have any question. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, Thank you for posting in Intel® Ethernet Community. Please provide the model of the Ethernet adapter or the Ethernet controller used so we can check the issue. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, Please provide the details that we require for us to check the issue. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
moocan
Beginner

Hello CriselleC_Intel,

Sorry for the delay,.

Many thanks for your answer.

I don't know the exact model of the Ethernet card.

There is:

• Quard-Port PCI-X 133MHz Ethernet with Intel® 82546GB Dual MAC/PHY chipset.
  • Dual-Port PCI-X 133MHz Ethernet with Intel® 82546EB Dual MAC/PHY chipset.
  • Dual-Port PCIe D33682

There is other model too not listed here.

You will say me that they are quite old Ethernet Card :) I understand this but they are working well.

So I don't understand why PXE prompt <Ctrl-S> is displayed with 1.2.32 and not with 1.5.X

Servers which are hosting these eth cards are DELL or HP.

BootUtil identify them as card that can be updated.

A simple ./bootutil64e list them.

Update as been made under Linux x86_64 using the following command:

./bootutil64e -NIC=X -UPDATE=PXE -FILE=../BootIMG.FLB

Original ROM has been backup during update.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, the MESSAGEENABLE or -MSE was no longer available on the latest package of Intel® Ethernet Connections Boot Utility, Preboot Images, and EFI Drivers. You might want to check which configuration options are still available on this version, please visit this link and scroll down to "PXE BOOT CONFIGURATION OPTIONS": https://downloadmirror.intel.com/19186/eng/bootutil.txt The latest package that MESSAGEENABLE or -MSE was available is 20.2. You can download this package through this link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25248/Ethernet-Intel-Ethernet-Connections-Boot-Utility-Preboot-Images-and-EFI-Drivers And you might want to check the readme(txt) to confirm that MESSAGEENABLE or -MSE is still available on this version. Please scroll down to "PXE BOOT CONFIGURATION OPTIONS" https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25248/eng/bootutil.txt Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
moocan
Beginner

Hello CrisselleC_Intel,

Thank you for your answer.

Does it means that due to the no longer availability of MESSAGEENABLE or -MSE it is why there is no more <Ctrl-S> and no access to configuration menu at startup ?

It is for all Network Adapters or for only old one as mine ?

I will try to reflash adapters using version 20.2.

Do you think that I can use only bootutil from 20.2 with -MSE and use the BootIMG.FLB from last version ?

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, Thank you for the response. We will further check your inquiry and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. Hoping for your patience. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
moocan
Beginner

Hello CrisselleC

No problem.

Thank you for your support.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, We have confirmed with our engineers that this feature was removed years ago to free up space as we are limited to 64KB for option ROMs. All configuration is now done with bootutil. Please let us know if you have any question. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
moocan
Beginner

Hello CrisselleC_Intel

So all is normal. I understand the purpose.

So many thanks for your assistance.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello Moocan, Thank you for the response. If you have additional questions in the future, please do not hesitate to ask and we will be glad to help. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos