Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4809 Discussions

(Help!) Intel I219-V TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) Issue

MJens8
Beginner

System : Asus z170 pro gaming with the Intel I219-V Ethernet chip. Windows 10 home 64bit.

Issue : IPv6 fails to connect with games / g-mail / various websites when TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) is enabled in the advanced adapter properties.

I've had this issue for more than a year and have tried many driver versions from both Asus and Intel (currently using the latest Intel 24.2 - Asus hasn't updated the driver for my MB since 2016).

Weird thing is if I set TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) to [Disable] or [Tx Enabled] everything works 100%. If I set it to [Rx Enabled] or [Rx & Tx Enabled] it will fail to connect.

Any idea why any option with [Rx] in it for TCP offloading would be causing this?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MJens8,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration.

a- Download the utility from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

This is the file as requested.

I turned TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) to [Rx & Tx Enabled] before running the scan.

I had to set it back to [Disabled] after the scan - it wouldn't let me connect back to this site with it enabled.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello MJens8,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Please allow us to check on this matter. We will be getting back to you to provide an update within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Thank you - I'm really hoping we can figure out what this issue is!

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Just stopping by to see if there's any updates to this issue.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello MJens8,

Thank you for being patient waiting for our update.

Upon further checking, In some situations where a customer's machine is connected via some specific optical network terminals (ONTs), and data is appended after the packet checksum, the network adapter can drop packets when the TCP-IPv6 Checksum offload is enabled.

For reference, please open this link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27263/Disabling-TCP-IPv6-Checksum-Offload-Capability-with-Intel-1-10-GbE-Controllers

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Thank you for getting back to me. So if I understand this correctly, It's my ONT that's the issue here? (I do have Telus gigabit purefiber internet)

My ONT is pretty old - I can check with my ISP if I can get the latest ONT they have available and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, is the only solution to disable IPv6 offload?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

You are welcome.

We will wait for your update once you've checked with your ISP if you can get the latest ONT to see if it will help in fixing the issue.

We will also try to further check on our end for any possible solution that might help on this issue. Rest assured that we will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

Good day!

Please be advised that we are still checking on this. We will provide an update as soon as possible but not later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Thank you for keeping in touch!

I'm still waiting to hear back from my ISP about the ONT upgrade.

Will post back here myself when I know more.

Mark

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Ok I finally heard back from my ISP. The new ONT is only available in select areas right now.

So unfortunately I'm stuck with the Alcatel-lucent ONT for the foreseeable future.

Edit : I have also updated the drivers to 24.3.0.6 and still having the same problem.

Mark

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the update and we're sorry to hear that the new ONT is only available in selected areas.

We have also checked this with our engineers. Unfortunately, they have confirmed that disabling IPv6 offload in I219-V is the only solution related to the ONT issue. 

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

We look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Thank you for taking the time to look into the issue - much appreciated.

One last question:

Last week you mentioned "Upon further checking, In some situations where a customer's machine is connected via some specific optical network terminals (ONTs), and data is appended after the packet checksum, the network adapter can drop packets when the TCP-IPv6 Checksum offload is enabled.".

Did you have a list of which ONTs were affected?

It would help me quite a bit to know which ones to avoid when options start opening up for me to upgrade.

Mark

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

You are welcome, glad to be of help.

Please give us time to check on this. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the patience.

Please be informed that we already checked the requested information with our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as we have heard back from them but not later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

Good day!

After checking with our engineers, they have informed that we don't have list of ONTs that were affected.

Let us know if you have additional questions on this matter.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MJens8
Beginner

Ok thank you for taking the time to look into this for me.

I will do my best to get my ISP to upgrade my ONT and hope that fixes the problem.

I have no further questions about this so please feel free to close this issue.

Thanks again!

Mark

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Mark,

You are welcome. We do hope that new ONT can help in fixing the issue.

As requested, we will now proceed with closure. Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, feel free to post a new question and we will be glad to be of help.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos