Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

I don't get IP in my wired interface

MBuil
Beginner

Hi,

I have the Intel NUC5i5RYH with Ubuntu 14.04 and kernel 3.19.061. The WLAN interface works correctly but the wired interface (in my case eth0) does not work properly. It is up and everything looks fine but I almost never get an IP from the router. Even if I force the NUC to send DHCP requests to the router, it does not get any answer. I write "almost never" because 1 out of 10 times I boot the NUC, it gets an IP from the router. If I try the same with my laptop, either with Ubuntu or WIndows, it works, so it must be something of the NUC.

I downloaded the following driver : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15817 Download Intel® Network Adapter Driver for PCI-E* Gigabit Network Connections under Linux* but it still does not work. Now when I do modinfo e1000e, I get 3.3.4 so I guess my driver is the latest one. Have you noticed anything similar? Any potential solution?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KMesl
Valued Contributor I

I checked the release notes for the Lan drivers and found this:

the linux driver from your link says:

e1000e.x.x.x.tar.gz is designed to work with the Intel® 82563/82566/82567 Gigabit Ethernet PHY, Intel® 82571/82572/82573/82574/82577/82578/82579/82583 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, and I217/I218 controllers under Linux*.

But your model NUC is equipped with a I219 family controller.

Anyway I don't get it, I have a NUC6 with a I219 controller which has always worked with Linux (tried many distro's) out of the box with the drivers supplied by the distro. Same goes for wlan and bluetooth.

I'd say you're using the wrong driver.

0 Kudos
MBuil
Beginner

I don't really know... I also tried to configure the IP which it normally gets but I cannot ping the router

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, All:

hegenious, thank you for your help.

mosquetero, Have you tried posting this here http://askubuntu.com/ Ask Ubuntu? This community might be able to help you in regard to your question, try posting there and let me know how it goes. Please bear in mind that Intel does not test and validate Intel® NUC on Linux; however we know that a lot of NUC owners are using it successfully on many different Linux distros. Intel suggests you check your Linux distro's website.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, peers:

Just wanted to double check if you were able to get in touch with the Ubuntu forums for this inquiry?

Please let us know.

Regards,

Esteban C
0 Kudos