Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4874 Discussions

I211/I217-V Windows 10 LACP teaming fails

FKurt
Novice

Hello,

after the update to Windows 10 (x64, Build 10240) the creation of a teaming group (static or IEEE802.3ad) with a I211+I217-V NIC fails.

Drivers have been upgraded to the latest version available and multiple reinstallations with reboots din't help either. Whenever the group creation wizzard is used and a groupname (several tried), the adapters and LACP have been selected, a Windows pop-up appears to tell me group creation has failed.

However the Windows Device Manager shows a newly created "Intel Advanced Network Services Virtual Adapter", so some kind of configuration seems to get done.

Using Windows 7 SP1 x64 the exact same setup worked flawlessly for months, so Win10/the driver are the likely culprit.

Is anyone experiencing similar problems and/or is this a known bug? Feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Famaku

1 Solution
CARL_W_Intel
Employee

OK, lets clear a few things up. Lets start with Windows Release Basics.

Windows 10 Version 1507 (build 10.0.10240), codenamed "Threshold 1"

Windows 10 Version 1511 (build 10.0.10586), codenamed "Threshold 2"

Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393), codenamed "Redstone 1"

Windows 10 Creators Update[202] or Windows 10 Version 1703, codenamed "Redstone 2"

1) MS Windows 10 Redstone 1 is where the fix was rolled out by Microsoft was for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, or Windows 10 Version 1607 (build 10.0.14393). Versions prior to 1607 do not have the hot-fix available. Versions after 1511 are "Redstone 2" which is in Beta has not been released yet.

2) Beta releases of operating systems are not tested and validated on posted drivers on the web. If you install the v22.0.1 driver package on releases after Windows 10, version 1607 you will need to escalate any bugs directly to Microsoft.

3) All the issues I see above on these threads are related to a Beta version of Windows 10. propergol , deecol

4) Famaku , you are on Windows 10 version 10240 ("Threshold 1"). MS did not port the Hot Fix for that OS to TH1. Please upgrade to RS1

5) I don't know about this one MassimoS.. You might want to make sure that your system has all available updates from MS. If that doesn't fix the issue, then the Intel support team will need to look into it.

That's the best I can do. My recommendation is to move the request to a new thread for those systems that are RS1 that have all the correct patches installed (please verify they were successful). That way, it can be addressed as a new issue (which it will be) vs. the OS limitation that this string is about.

View solution in original post

567 Replies
JAase
New Contributor I

Updated to 1709 now.

Had to reinstall the driver (22.9) after update, but worked perfectly fine after that.
0 Kudos
mchri131
Beginner

OK, different issue than most here lately, but you guys are probably closely related to what I am experiencing so might have some input.

On my previous laptop (older versions of everything) I had an 802.1Q trunk with several VLANs on it. I was able to create the VLANs in the driver config and it would create the additional interfaces in windows (all good). I could then startup Wireshark and select each "~sub" interface as expected. I also could select the "~base" interface of just the Ethernet and I would be able to capture all the traffic going to and from the hardware NIC on all VLANS. No IPs configured on any interface. This was great because I would startup different VMs and assign each to a VLAN and run tools and I could see all traffic in one place and keep a CYA pcap of what I had done.

New laptop, latest driver, latest OS, latest Wireshark.

Configure the VLANs in the driver config, windows creates the interfaces, they work. However, Wireshark doesn't see the interfaces (even if I refresh the interfaces), any not sub or base. Now after I create the reg to monitor mode =1 key and reboot, I can see the sub interfaces (but can't send of course) but not the base. I put the reg setting to 0 and reboot, still can't see the base in Wireshark, I remove the VLANs and get an IP on the base and now I can see it. Also, adding VLANs doesn't show up until a reboot.

So long story short if someone else sees this, is some sort of combination of setting the reg key on and off, having the NIC in non 802.1Q mode, and rebooting after adding VLANs will get you to what I was looking for.

Others, any idea on what is going on?

Has anyone experienced this?

Intel, just want you to know of this use scenario to make sure it doesn't get killed later and if you could figure out what went wonky currently, that would be great.

0 Kudos
MSava3
Beginner

I've changed the adapter, using latest version of the 22.x drivers and I still get BSODs when I disable the teaming.

I've the issue as after the pc goes to sleep every other time (probably after the second sleep/wakeup) the network is limited and the team has a 169. address.

I've checked on the switch and the team appear "not active" in that situation.

When I disable the team to try to recoved the IP I get the BSOD.

Usually a bad_pool_caller... very very bad

M

0 Kudos
MK17
Beginner

Finally figured out a way to get this to work after several failures with 1709. I am NOT using teaming, only VLANs. Here's the steps I took:

My goal was to get the system back to a 'more default' state -- i.e., the Intel NIC using Microsoft-provided drivers, then upgrade to 1709 again.

1. Reverted to 1703
  2. Removed all VLAN virtual adapters
  3. Reset the NIC to be a "normal" interface (no ANS usage).
  4. Ran through the steps https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005781/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html Intel provides here to rip out ANS/ProSet manually.
  5. Renamed C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking to something else (just in case).
  6. Reboot
  7. In Device Manager, uninstalled the Intel NIC - selecting the "delete drivers" checkbox.
  8. Reboot. Verify Microsoft driver present on NIC when system comes back up, and verify no issues with networking.
  9. Update to 1709.
  10. Verify system OK, everything functioning.
  11. Went to install 22.10 drivers -- it thinks they're still installed, selected "Remove".
  12. Reboot
  13. Install 22.10 drivers. Reboot (even though it doesn't ask / isn't required).
  14. Verify system OK, everything functioning, Intel NIC driver present.
  15. Configured VLAN virtual adapters as normal. Test operation.

The strangest thing I encountered in all of this is that among the problems I encountered when upgrading to 1709 with the ANS in place is that the 'Network Setup Service' gets stuck in a "Starting" state. This made it extremely difficult to troubleshoot when upgrading to build 1709 with existing ANS as it prevents NIC properties from loading in both ncpa.cpl and device manager. Did not see any mention of that issue in various searches.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

AStev7
Beginner

I updated from 1607 to 1709... big mistake, totally screwed up networking, reverted back, uninstalled and removed everything networking, AV and virtualbox for good measure.

Upgraded again to 1709, and now trying to get Intel I219-LM to do my VLANs again, but it won't, it creates them but they're disabled and won't enable them, it's that old chestnut again. Tried the latest driver download, 22.10 it doesn't help.

"Help me Carl_Wilson, you're my only hope!"

Update: Ok, so I updated the driver, but didn't install/reinstall/update? the Intel Software after the OS update, did that and it takes slightly longer to create a vlan (an indication it's actually doing something now), and I have enabled VLAN virtual nics, strangely the original adaptor one is enabled, I thought that used to be disable, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Either way, glad it's back up and working again... 2-3 days lost productivity though.

0 Kudos
jgari
Beginner

I was running a nearly 2 year old build of windows 10 to retain my vlan support. Just yesterday I followed the same procedure Matt laid out and it's working perfect for me on 1709 with a I218-V nic. Thanks for the tips.

I'll be sure to check this thread in the future before upgrading to make sure its safe

0 Kudos
mchri131
Beginner

Yeah, I just had an issue when I updated to 1709 on my I217. I tried the latest Prowinx64.exe and still doesn't work.

I did already have vlans in there when I tried to update, maybe that is the problem?

I can create vlans, they just don't work or show up in wireshark or vmware workstation.

I reverted back.

If I ever get up for it again I will try your method.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Here we go again.

Anyone tested Build 1803 ?
0 Kudos
MM69
Beginner

Hello,

my x550-T2 does not work with Windows 10 x64 1803. I have to wait for an new driver from Intel.

0 Kudos
VDifi
Beginner

1803 broke the teaming again. I guess is too much to ask to have a driver ready before a new OS or version of OS is released.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

I've bumped my last support mail case with intel. They where actually very helpful with providing me with ETA on driver last time, so I'm hopefull they'll come around this time as well.

0 Kudos
v_tw
Beginner

Same problem for me with 1803. Can create Team, but it remains disabled no matter what you try.

0 Kudos
MZ7
Beginner

According to this topic/thread/124967 https://communities.intel.com/thread/124967 we will wait "couple of weeks" for me is a joke.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Answer from intel:

SW Release 23.2 will include support for Windows 10 Redstone 4 (RS4).

The release is not yet available. Should be available in two to four weeks.

0 Kudos
PG9
Beginner

I guess that confirms it, Intel and M$ are not on speaking terms anymore. Guess they don't want us using their hardware with Windows.

Shockingly bad support, all of us running more complex systems are effectively excluded from running insider builds and also forced to defer OS updates while we wait for intel to 'allow' their software to run on the CURRENT Windows build.

My current main rig came with a shiny new 10G card (not Intel) and I think it's time to rip out the Intel card and try something new.

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

I think you guys are reading waaaay too much drama into this <sigh> You seriously sound like a gossiping, whining girl.

This is basically enterprise functionality.

Enterprise does seldom update to the latest build the very first day it arrives. It's way more common that enterprises are 6 months (a build) behind, or more.

That's probably why they don't stress with the driver updates when it comes to this functionality.

I agree that it should be possible to have it finished for when the build is released, but they don't need to.

This update is actually not that far behind, compared to the first one.
CLuce
Novice

jonkristian, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

First, ANS offers *Workstation* functionality, which is found at least equally outside of Enterprise as in. Personally I'm not part of an Enterprise structure and rely heavily on VLAN functionality.

Second, waiting six months for a driver release just doesn't fit into today's release cycles. This may have been a good excuse three years ago when Windows 10 was launched and the idea of OS as a service still had many questions surrounding it; the idea has been well demonstrated and established since then. Microsoft has claimed a six-month release cycle for Windows 10 Enterprise- your statement of a six-month lag for drivers is preposterous- Intel would always be one full release behind.

Third, this has been an on-going problem. This issue is not new to Intel. Intel really should be in front of this issue by now- it's been an issue on every major release, including the initial Windows 10 release.

Fourth- Intel advertises this functionality with all of their cards. ANS is a key differentiatior between Intel and most (if not all) of their competitors, and Intel charges a premium for their cards. The value simply isn't there without the functionality.

In review, Intel is tone-deaf to the current reality of OS release cycles. Intel has access to early release candidates just like everyone else. Their inattention to this detail is causing breaks in business applications and processes- exactly what Intel says they are best for. Six-month lag on driver releases was a bad practice in the late 90s and is even more out of touch with modern release cycles.

CKlut
Novice

Good morning,

Just updated to Windows 10 RS5 (1809) Final and guess what - Teaming is again broken!

@Intel: When can we expect a new driver release?

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
Zak84
Beginner

Same problem!

0 Kudos
VDifi
Beginner

Same issue after the October upgrade. I am guessing the Version check of the driver is failing. Teaming will not enable.

Thank you

0 Kudos
JAase
New Contributor I

Intel_Ethernet intel_corp

When can we expect a functioning driver? 4-8 weeks as usual?

0 Kudos