Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5097 Discussions

I350 MAC to MAC and PCIE x1 to 4 SGMII ports

mihailo
Beginner

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding the Intel I350 Ethernet controller:

1. Can I establish a MAC to MAC link via SGMII without an Ethernet PHY?

2. I read in the datasheet that I can connect the I350 module to a PCIe x1 slot. I intend to use the I350 as a bridge in the following configuration: PCIe x1 on one side and 4 SGMII channels on the other. Is this feasible?

Additionally, I'm unclear about the PCIe function. I couldn't find specific information about its function.

Could you please refer me to an application note or any other resource where I can find useful information?

Best regards,
Mihailo Grahovac

0 Kudos
7 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Mihailo,

Good day!

We see that you are trying to use the MAC to MAC link via SGMII and are trying to use the Intel I350 Ethernet controller on as a bridge between the PCIe 1x on one side and the 4 SGMII channels on the other side.

And you are also trying to find the specs of the PCIe for the same.

Before we proceed with this request, please specify the server on which you are using the Intel I350 Ethernet controller, and the reason behind trying this configuration?

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hi Mihailo,

Good day!

This is a second follow up in regards to the issue reported.

We see that you are trying to use the MAC to MAC link via SGMII and are trying to use the Intel I350 Ethernet controller on as a bridge between the PCIe 1x on one side and the 4 SGMII channels on the other side.

And you are also trying to find the specs of the PCIe for the same.

Before we proceed with this request, please specify the server on which you are using the Intel I350 Ethernet controller, and the reason behind trying this configuration?

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
mihailo
Beginner

Hello,

I don't want to establish a server. I want to use the I350 as a bridge that can provide SGMII signals. I need SGMII signals because my design requires LVDS hardware. 

I have a lot PCIe buses at my board, so I want to use them to provide SGMII signals to communicate with other modules. Can I do this in this way?

Thank you for fast response!

Best regards,
Mihailo Grahovac

0 Kudos
MACM
Employee

Hi mihailo,

Greetings from Intel.

Thank you for the response.

Could you also please let us know the which server board you are using.

So that we can proceed further accordingly.

Thanks,

Mohammed Ali

0 Kudos
mihailo
Beginner

Hi MACM,

It will be SOM board which has multiple PCIe buses. I don't understand why this matters for you, when my first question is very precisely.

If you want to recommend me some system on module or single board computer please feel free to contact me via email: mihailo.grahovac@pupin.rs.

Every PCIe has same characteristics so it is not issue. On the other hand I will have some FPGAs which will provide MACs and SGMII protocol.

So, I would like to go back to my original questions:

1. Can I establish a MAC to MAC link via SGMII without an Ethernet PHY?

2. I read in the datasheet that I can connect the I350 module to a PCIe x1 slot. I intend to use the I350 as a bridge in the following configuration: PCIe x1 on one side and 4 SGMII channels on the other. Is this feasible?

Also I attached the diagrams what I want to do.

In the first image, I350 is bridge PCIe x1 to four SGMII channels. This is what I am interested in. Can I do this? 

In the second image, I350 is bridge PCIe x4 to four SGMII channels. I suppose this configuration is valid and works very well, if I understand datasheet. 

Thanks for fast response!

Best regards,

Mihailo Grahovac

0 Kudos
MACM
Employee

Hi mihailo,

Greetings.

Thank you for the response.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Please allow us sometime so that we can look into this internally and get back to you shortly.

Regards,

Mohammed Ali

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi Mihailo,

Good day! Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Since your issue is related to SOM board and SGMII, we have a separate forum where you can get further assistance.

Kindly use the below link and submit your request.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Embedded-Connectivity/bd-p/embedded-networking-connectivity

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos