Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5032 Discussions

Inquiry on Configuring GARP Settings for Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM on Windows 11

Shinobu_S
Novice

Hello,

I am reaching out for assistance regarding an issue I've encountered with my Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM on a Windows 11 PC. I have discovered, through packet capture, that during the shutdown process, a Gratuitous ARP (GARP) is being broadcasted with the source MAC address set to all zeros.

Could you please advise if there is a way to either change this source MAC address from all zeros to another value or to prevent the broadcasting of GARP during shutdown?

Any configuration guidance or solutions you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and support.

Best regards,

Shinobu.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Shinobu_S
Novice

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your advice regarding the issue.

For the time being, we were able to control vPRO using NetworkAdmin.exe. Additionally,

we confirmed through the packet capture results that the source MAC address is not all zeros,

and that the correct behavior is observed with GARP broadcasting our own MAC address.

We consider this matter resolved and closed.

Thank you to everyone involved for your assistance.

Best regards, Sasaki

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MACM
Employee

Hi Shinobu_S,

Greetings from Intel.

Hope you are doing well.

We are looking into this internally and will keep you posted.

Meanwhile please could you share us more on the issue, so that we can assist you better.

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos
Shinobu_S
Novice

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am writing to provide further information related to the issue with vPRO not booting up.

We have encountered a problem where, after shutting down the OS on a PC with vPro, it becomes impossible to start vPro again.

The results of our packet capture analysis have revealed that the following Gratuitous ARP (GARP) is broadcast when the OS shuts down. This GARP leads to the entry of '00:00:00:00:00:00' in the switch's ARP table, which makes it impossible to control vPRO during the aging time. 

- Source MAC Address: '00:00:00:00:00:00'

- Source IP Address: The IP address of the device sending the GARP

- Destination MAC Address: 'ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff'

- Destination IP Address: The IP address of the device sending the GARP 

We kindly request guidance on settings or methods that would prevent the source MAC address '00:00:00:00:00:00' from being sent out or any other ways to circumvent the issue described above.

We appreciate your assistance and look forward to your prompt response.

Warm regards, Sasaki

0 Kudos
MACM
Employee

Hi Shinobu_S,

Greetings.

Thank you for the information.

We are currently looking into this, please allow us some time.

We will keep you updated.

Regards,

Ali

0 Kudos
Shinobu_S
Novice

Hello,

I hope this email finds you well.

We are continuing our investigation on the matter at hand.

In the process of implementing power control using vPRO, we would like to know if there are any specific settings or considerations we should be aware of when the connected switch is from Cisco.

We appreciate your response.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
MACM
Employee

Hi Shinobu_S,

Greetings from Intel.

Hope you are doing well.

Thank you for the response.

Sure, please allow us some time to check the information internally and get back to you shortly.

Thank you,

Mohammed Ali

0 Kudos
Shinobu_S
Novice

Hello,

I hope this message finds you well.

I am currently experiencing an issue where vPRO is unable to boot, and I suspect the following may be the cause. I would greatly appreciate it if you could confirm whether my understanding is correct.

1. Conditions Under Which the Issue Occurs: a. The IP address for OS settings and AMT settings are the same and I prefer not to separate them with a fixed IP address.

2. Proposed Solution: To synchronize the IP addresses for the OS and AMT settings, I plan to perform the following operations: a. Run "NetworkAdmin.exe -gsync -host localhost -user ADMIN -pass PW". If a green "Success…" message appears, press Ctrl+C to interrupt the process. b. Run "NetworkAdmin.exe -ssync -host localhost -user ADMIN -pass PW". c. Run "NetworkAdmin.exe -gsync -host localhost -user ADMIN -pass PW" again.

Your expertise and advice on this matter would be invaluable. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Best regards,

Shinobu_S

0 Kudos
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hi Shinobu_S,

Greetings from Intel.

Hope you are doing well. Thank you for sharing this information. Kindly allow us some time as we are still checking with our team.

Best Regards

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel

Hello, 仁 佐々木,

My name is Miguel, I am from the vPro-EMA support team.

Your question is below:

I am writing to provide further information related to the issue with vPRO not booting up.

We have encountered a problem where, after shutting down the OS on a PC with vPro, it becomes impossible to start vPro again.

Please give me more details of your vPro configuration.  

1. Did you set it up using Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (EMA) or any other tool?
  2. Did you provision the endpoint in Client or Admin Control mode?
  3. We can review the endpoint status with the Intel® EMA Configuration Tool (ECT)

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19805/30485/intel-endpoint-management-assistant-configuration-tool-intel-ema-configuration-tool.html

Installation:

Download and unzip the tool.

Double-click the .msi file and follow the prompts.

Run:

a-Open a command prompt as administrator (alternatively, you can run the tool from Windows PowerShell*).

b-Navigate to the installation folder (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\EMAConfigTool).

c-Run the command: EMAConfigTool.exe --verbose 

The behavior described is expected when the endpoints are provisioned in Client control mode.  The OS needs to be running in the systems, and the user allows (user-consent) remote access. Turning on the system is not possible.

I will gladly provide further assistance if necessary.

0 Kudos
Shinobu_S
Novice

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your advice regarding the issue.

For the time being, we were able to control vPRO using NetworkAdmin.exe. Additionally,

we confirmed through the packet capture results that the source MAC address is not all zeros,

and that the correct behavior is observed with GARP broadcasting our own MAC address.

We consider this matter resolved and closed.

Thank you to everyone involved for your assistance.

Best regards, Sasaki

0 Kudos
vij1
Employee

Hello Shinobu,

Greetings!

I am following up on the case. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Regards,

Vijay N.

0 Kudos
vij1
Employee

Hello Shinobu,

Greetings!

Thank you for the confirmation. We are closing the case.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

Best regards,  

Vijay N.

0 Kudos