Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4813 Discussions

Intel E810 series hardware timestamping

Italo
Beginner

Dear all,

I'm in the same situation of:

community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-E810-series-hardware-timestamping/m-p/1302849#M25984

I'm currently using a Lenovo network boar based on a Intel x710  chip. It works fine in order to receive my data at 10b/s from a camera with custom protocol we are developing but now I have to timestamp every received packet to check the actual  timing of this custom protocol. In a data-sheet  of Intel E810 (Intel Ethernet 800 Series Product Guide_17.pdf) I read that E810 "can report the reception time for every packet." Does it mean that it can actually acquire the HW timestamp of each packet and store it memory with the packet?

Is it possible to get the document mentioned in the discussion above? It was:

Intel® Ethernet Controller E810 Datasheet 

Last Updated: 07/08/2021

File: PDF (30.57 MB)

Content ID: 644119

Version: 2.2

Ethernet Products (NPG) - This document describes the external architecture (including device operation, pin descriptions, register definitions, and so on) for the Intel® Ethernet Controller E810 (E810), a dual-port 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Network Interface device.

Thank you for your attention and bet regards

Italo

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello Italo,

Thank you for the quick reply. The Intel® Ethernet Controller E810 Datasheet is located in our Intel Resource and Design Center. That datasheet is also considered the Programmers guide and It also contains Timestamp information. However, this requires an access so we will transfer this case to proper support group to guide you acquiring the access.

You will be contacted via email within 24 to 48 business hours.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Italo,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Before we proceed, let me ask if you are designing a board/system with embedded Intel x710 chip?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Italo
Beginner

Hello Michael,

no, we do not design such kind of embedded system. We are the "customer" of the cameras we asked to be modified by the manufacturer to fit our protocol. The camera firmware will be modified on the onboard FPGA. On our side we need to test the received packet for both timing and correctness/completeness of the data. The current acquisition system based on a x710 NIC is well suited for data tests but not for timing ones. For this reasons I need to understand whether the E810  chip is able to HW timestamp  packet. If so then I have to find a NIC, based on it, that allows me to exploit this functionality.

Regards

Italo

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Italo,

Thank you for the quick reply. The Intel® Ethernet Controller E810 Datasheet is located in our Intel Resource and Design Center. That datasheet is also considered the Programmers guide and It also contains Timestamp information. However, this requires an access so we will transfer this case to proper support group to guide you acquiring the access.

You will be contacted via email within 24 to 48 business hours.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos