Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4875 Discussions

Intel Ethernet controller I255-V - Device Cannot start (Gigabyte Z590i)

Gil80
Beginner

For some reason, after changing some BIOS settings for under-volting the CPU but reverting back to default settings, the ethernet controller refuses to enable.

Gil80_0-1621258015188.png

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, but nothing works!

I use Gigabyte Z590i Aorus Ultra motherboard.

I added the report from ssu.exe to this post.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to set your expectations that we have a limited support for Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) system. It would be best if you can also get in touch with Gigabyte for further assistance on your request. 

Please be informed that the software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel highly recommends that you also check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer.

Although the issue is different from link below, can you please confirm if you already tried these steps as it may also help with the problem?

Network Issues with Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

We noticed that you are currently using 1.0.2.8 from Intel. With this, we highly suggest using driver provided by your manufacturer. For the specifics on how to update NVM and obtain LAN driver, please contact Gigabyte support. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590I-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Gil80
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

For the record, Gigabyte support is pure garbage. I'm sorry to say this, but I don't know how they hired non-technical people for a technical role.

I've tried their support on other instances and they never resolved an issue or replied back. I can't use them and that's why Intel support is my last resort.

I've tried this link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html but I have no idea where to obtain the files mentioned there.

The Gigabyte website doesn't list the same files. See here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590I-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan

Gigabyte driver doesn't provide any tool to update firmware. You provided the same link as I did above. Please download and unzip it and see for yourself it doesn't contain anything meaningful.

I can't update firmware and I don't know if I'm running the latest driver version provided by Intel.

0 Kudos
DouglasPC
Beginner

Try these settings on the drivers properties, under the advanced tab, mine started working with setting manually set speed and duplex instead of auto negotiation, with drivers version 1.0.2.8 & NVM Version: 1.87(1.57), on a z590 Ultra 1

Helpful Technical Support from Eric

DouglasPC.com

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Thank you for the prompt response.

We are sorry to hear that you already tried Gigabyte support but didn't get any help from them. No worries as we will still try our best effort support to assist you on this one.

Based on the logs provided, you are already using latest driver from Intel. Unfortunately, you can only obtain the NVM update utility from Gigabyte support. I also tried looking at the site that I've shared but didn't see any NVM file.

Please see below details and check if it can help in resolving the issue.

1. Have you tried disabling/enabling the adapter?

2. Have you tried updating all the other driver and BIOS from your manufacturer?

3.Was the I225 known to be working fine before? If yes, please share for how long was the device worked properly

You may also try to perform the following steps and check if the issue would still occur. 

1.) Uninstall the Device and restart the computer. The error Code 10 you're seeing could have been caused by a temporary problem in Device Manager or with the hardware. 

2.) Remove any hardware you may added to the computer prior to the error message. There could be a device causing a hardware conflict or compatibility issues. Did you install a device or make a change in Device Manager just before the Code 10 error appeared? If so, it's possible that the change you made caused the Code 10 error. Undo the change if you can, restart your PC, and then check again for the Code 10 error.

3.) Perform a clean installation of drivers. Uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers for the device is a likely solution to a Code 10 error. Notice that Properly reinstalling a driver is not the same as simply updating a driver. A full driver reinstall involves completely removing the currently installed driver.. Refer to instructions below on how to perform clean driver installation.

Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html

4.) Since you already tried the latest version from Intel, you may consider using older version of the driver for the device or driver that can be downloaded from your manufacturer. We also highly suggest using the driver form Gigabyte site. 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590I-AORUS-ULTRA-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-lan

As a last resource, if you're positive that a hardware problem isn't causing the Code 10 error, you could try a repair install of Windows. If that doesn't work, try a clean install of Windows. But this might take a lot of effort so we highly recommend checking this issue first with Gigabyte support.

We hope that the information above will help in resolving the issue.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions and clarifications

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Gil80
Beginner

1. Have you tried disabling/enabling the adapter?

2. Have you tried updating all the other driver and BIOS from your manufacturer?

3.Was the I225 known to be working fine before? If yes, please share for how long was the device worked properly

Answers:

1. Yes. didn't help

2. Yes, didn't help. Also I'm using latest BIOS.

3. Yes, but this issue appears everytime I have a BSOD. I'm doing undervolt tests because my CPU runs too hot. During my tests, I sometimes get BSOD, this is when the network adapter decides to stop working.

I've already done in-place upgrade to my Windows installation. Doesn't help.

Does this adapter run the latest firmware?

Is it possible to modify the Asus NVM to run on Gigabyte?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Appreciate your reply.

Please allow me to consult your query with our engineers. However, as we mentioned on our initial post, we have a limited support on this one and may need to request you to contact Gigabyte support again as you are using an OEM controller. We will still try our best to further assist you on this issue. Rest assured that we will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please see below information for the update from our next level support. 

1. Since you already covered almost all troubleshooting steps to resolve the Code 10 issue, what we can only recommend is to remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes in order to set the BIOS to its default settings and drain the remaining power from the motherboard.

2. If it still not working, you can try reinstalling the whole Operating System (OS) then install the drivers following the correct sequence. Chipset Driver, LAN driver, Video and audio drivers.

You might put a lot of effort reinstalling the OS but please be informed that is our last resort to confirm that this is only software related. If issue reoccurs after the OS reinstallation, you might need to contact Gigabyte again for RMA. Your onboard LAN is possibly not working already.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you received our previous message. If yes, are you able to try it out and share the result with us? We would also appreciate if you can share the feedback from your manufacturer once you've heard from them.

Should you have additional questions and clarification, feel free to ask.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Gil80
Beginner

Not much I can try anymore.

Gigabyte won't help because this is an Intel chip. RMA is not something I can do because I won this PC in a competition. I didn't buy it.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Thank you for the reply and we are sorry to hear that issue is still not resolved after the recommendations provided.

We will still try to re-escalate this to our higher level and ask for their insight. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-4 business days.

Hoping for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Gil80,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please see below information for the feedback from our higher level support. 

We understand that your Ethernet onboard controller is an Intel chip but this is already an embedded and managed by the motherboard. Modifications may have been done on the controller to tailor their motherboard specification.

As a best effort support, we have tried to revive your embedded ethernet controller but it seems the issue is already hardware related. What we can further recommend is for you to contact the contest coordinator who provided the prize if they can provide you an invoice.

Please be informed that we will close this request as we already provided our best effort support however it is found out that RMA is the best option. 

Your time and cooperation throughout the process is highly appreciated. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Crisselle Franz

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
GRAFSPEE
Beginner

Hello

Same motherboard (i.e Gigabyte Z590 ULTRA ITX) same issue

Are you using Bitlocker?

My C: drive was encrypted by Bitlocker.

As soon as i have deactivated same no more issue (for now)

I will update if it comes back

0 Kudos
GRAFSPEE
Beginner

Issue is back

It's a unacceptable Intel dares to sell such faulty product

0 Kudos
Set-bc
Beginner

Hello, sorry for digging up old post.

I have the exact same issue with this controller on Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra mb. After fiddling with bios settings, usually after short power cycle ethernet controller stops working. It happens not every time, but it happens pretty often. 

What works for me is turn off the pc completely, I mean turn off the pc and unplug the power cord from the wall socket. Wait 30 secs, plug in the power cord back and turn pc on, now it is working and the error is gone.

It seems that it is a common problem with this controller and/or Gigabyte motherboards. I found several topics where people complain about this issue.

fortizvi
Beginner

Oysters, amazing I do not believe it! I have a Z590 Aorus Ultra and it just happened to me, well I've been with it for 1 year and what they say has happened to me about three times, just by touching the bios settings... I think I changed the TPM and activated it in the bios. Well, at least I know that it's something "normal"... something strange for that reason and annoying... And I was able to fix it "miracle" doing the same thing that you mentioned, turning off the current... and everything has been fine. .. Intel any suggestions on this issue??

0 Kudos