Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Intel I225-V connection issues

sapient254
Beginner

For the life of me, I can't figure out what to do about my Ethernet adapter. Every day I get a random disconnect that requires me to completely restart my computer in order to get it to work again.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING

BIOS: 2423

Version (Build): 2009 (10.0.220000)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor

Memory: 32GB

Ethernet: Intel® Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V

When I first installed my motherboard, I made sure to use the latest BIOS version.

sapient254_12-1634057239674.png

Firstly, I have no idea what firmware version I should be using. ASUS website shows 1.0.1.4 when I search for LAN Drivers in the ASUS B550-I download page.

sapient254_13-1634057445342.png

When I downloaded their recommended Armory Crate App, it says "latest version: 1.0.2.8" and wants me to use that one.

sapient254_14-1634057521740.png

Intel's website shows 1.0.2.13 and after using that, the Driver Support Assistant says that my drivers are all up-to-date.

sapient254_15-1634057737630.png

I assume I should be using the latest version. Regardless, none of them (1.0.1.4, 1.0.2.8, & 1.0.2.13) have resolved my problems of getting random disconnects.

When I open The Intel Proset Adapter Configuration Utility, and run the 3 tests, I get the following results:

Cable Tests

sapient254_8-1634056829678.png

I'm not sure why these failed. I have tried 3 different cat5e ethernet cables, they all seem fine and I get high download speeds (when the adapter is working that is).

Connection Tests

sapient254_9-1634056888805.png

Hardware Tests

sapient254_10-1634056944740.png

These 2 fail every time. The NVM Integrity Status is what made me think I need to update my firmware on my NVM, but I am not certain on how to do that. I'm not even sure what NVM is or does to be honest.

Here's what the configuration Utility tells me about my Adapter:

sapient254_17-1634058817725.png

After some googling to figure out how to update the NVM firmware, I came across this guide, but I am already stuck on step 3. The ASUS website doesn't have an NVM update tool. I found one on a different motherboard here, but I don't know if that's the correct one. It says it also has an I225-V, so that's what I have been attempting to use.

At any rate, I tried to run "install.bat" as Administrator in the Firmware update folder per the instructions.

sapient254_6-1634056083843.png

but I get this error that says "flash update failed":

sapient254_7-1634056202305.png

So now I'm just stuck. I have tried multiple drivers, none of which seem to work. I have tried to update this NVM firmware, and I keep getting errors.

I really don't want to have to go through the process of trying to return my motherboard only to have the same issues with a new one. Hopefully I am just missing a simple step!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Achilles_Intel

Hello sapient254,

Hope you are having a good day so far.

In addition to trying to turn off Encryption and Compression on your Synology NAS, can you also try changing the Transmit Buffers and Receive Buffers to 2048 in Adapter Settings and check if it will improve the with Synology NAS? You can do this by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Select Properties on your Intel I225-V adapter > Select Configure > Go to Advanced tab.

Let us know if you have further questions. If we do not hear from you, we will create a follow-up after 3 business days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Achilles_Intel

Hello sapient254,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

We are sorry to hear about the issue you encountered with your Intel® Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V. For us to further check this issue, please provide us these following details.

1. Are you using an onboard I225-V?
  2. When did you first encounter the issue?
  3. Any hardware or software changes before the issue occurred?
  4. Which driver is currently installed in your system? Is it the latest driver from Asus or from Intel?
  5. Please provide the SSU logs of your system so we can further check its configuration.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/ethernet-products.html

Let us know if you have further questions. If we do not hear from you, we will create a follow-up after 3 business days. Thank you.

0 Kudos
sapient254
Beginner

1. yes

2. when I built my pc a month or 2 ago

3. no hardware changes, only software change was to Windows 11. The issue was happening before on Windows 10 as well.

4. I am currently trying 1.0.2.8. It still isn't working. It didn't work on 1.0.1.4 or 1.0.2.13. I am happy to reinstall a different/new driver though if I didn't do it in the correct order or something if that'll fix it.

5. Maybe adding the log is why my post keeps getting deleted? I will try again.

Note: I was able to pinpoint that this issue happens every day at the same time when my Synology NAS pushes a request to backup my PC via Active Backup for Business. As soon as it does, it drops my connection. Device manager tells me that no drivers are installed (despite it showing the driver version number), and when I try to disable, re-enable, or uninstall the ethernet adapter, it just hangs. I try to restart, and the "restarting" screen hangs every time, and I need to do a hard power off for it to fix itself. Once my machine restarts, though, everything is fine again until the next day when Active Backup for Business runs again.

I read on a different forum some people saying that it would fix it if the encryption option was turned off in my Synology settings. Also here. I will test turning this off to see if it fixes it.

0 Kudos
ARich
Beginner

sapient254, I had to sign in to say I'm so thankful for your post as I never would have narrowed down the cause.

Reading your description of events is a complete mirror of my situation (network connection lost, hangs on uninstall/restart).
I had recently upgraded to Windows 11 and assumed that was it, but it was probably coincidence if I also started Active Backup around that time.
I just unchecked the Active Backup option for encryption to see if that prevents future disconnections.

To avoid pointing fingers back to Synology, it does appear to be specific to this NIC as I have a dozen or more computers with various NICs running backups without network disconnection issues.

Motherboard: Gigabyte B460 Aorus Pro AC

Integrated NIC: Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V (Intel Driver 1.0.2.8)

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello all,

Thank you for all your responses.

We appreciate all the information that you have provided. We are glad to hear that you were able to find a possible root cause for this issue. We would also like to hear a feedback from you if the solution you have found will help you resolve this. We would also further check into this issue and see if there are other steps you can take help you with this issue.

Let us know if you have questions.

Please allow us some time to check into this and get back to you within 2-3 business days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello sapient254,

Hope you are having a good day so far.

In addition to trying to turn off Encryption and Compression on your Synology NAS, can you also try changing the Transmit Buffers and Receive Buffers to 2048 in Adapter Settings and check if it will improve the with Synology NAS? You can do this by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Select Properties on your Intel I225-V adapter > Select Configure > Go to Advanced tab.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

sapient254
Beginner

Thank you for the reply.

I let my backup run this morning with only Enable data transfer encryption deselected:

sapient254_0-1634332757850.png

I can confirm that it finished completely without disconnecting. I'm not sure why that happens. Similar to what ARich mentioned, I have other computers on my network that are backing up to my Synology NAS fine without disconnecting, despite also having the encryption enabled. I will try to test re-enabling the encryption, but increasing the buffers as you mentioned to see if that would be beneficial at all.

Do you have any idea what may be causing this issue exactly?

0 Kudos
killjoypcr
Beginner

I fortunately stumbled upon this thread by accident and it probably saved me from RMA'ing my motherboard. I also have Asus B550 board and only recently started using built-in LAN port for my Internet connectivity. Last night my scheduled backup to Synology NAS had started and the network driver had crashed. I spent this entire morning debugging the issue, trying different drivers etc without realising that the backup would auto-resume in the background and cause the nic to hang. It happens almost instantly before even getting to desktop after logging in. Disabling or changing the driver after it has hung will cause the computer to hang on shutdown.

After finding this thread I switched data transfer encryption off in Synology Backup as suggested and the issue is gone. So thank you for saving me on this one! Of course I'd like to see the root cause for the driver/nic crash to be sorted out and patched, I'm positive there are other edge cases that could cause the same issue.

0 Kudos
sapient254
Beginner

I just had 2 successful backups to my NAS with the encryption turned back on after increasing my buffer size. I will keep an eye on it, but I believe this has fixed my issue so far. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Achilles_Intel

Hello sapient254,

Thank you for the feedback.

We are glad to hear that we were able to help you resolve this issue. Would you like us to keep this thread open just for a few more days just to check if the issue has been totally resolved

Let us know if you have further questions. If we do not hear from you, we will make a follow-up after 3 business days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Achilles M.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello sapient254,

Good day!

We tried to further check this request again with our engineer and unfortunately, we cannot confirm if disabling the NAS Active Backup for Business would permanently fix the disconnection issue between the Synology NAS and i225-V controllers. Reason behind this is we do not have the in-depth information how this feature works such as encryption/compression used by Synology that affects the functionality of the controller. With this, it would still be best to contact Synology for further investigation. It might be a compatibility issue but only the software manufacturer can confirm.

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous message. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
sapient254
Beginner
Thanks, I do want to reiterate that I did test turning the encryption back on with my Synology NAS backup, but increased the buffer size per the recommendation and that appears to have fixed the issue for whatever reason. I have had no disconnects thus far. I appreciate the support!
0 Kudos
GerryLuck
Novice

EDIT: I forgot to add the obvious. The above solution didn't work for me. I tried changing those two settings to 2048, and I'm not using Synology so there was nothing for me to change.

I am having similar problems. After updating to 1.0.2.8 my ethernet doesn't work. Webpages do not load or partially load. I can't ping duckduckgo in command prompt. Videos only load a couple seconds at a time at sub hd then freeze, and webpages mostly hang. I have to turn off ethernet and use Wifi just to use my home network. I have the same motherboard as the OP. My router is a Verizon G3100 connected directly to my computer without any switches using this exact cable https://www.microcenter.com/product/242008/qvs-100-ft-cat-5e-snagless-molded-boots-ethernet-cable-white

The reason I updated my drivers is because I was experiencing constant lag in online games. The lag happens regardless if I'm using Wifi or LAN and someone recommended I update my LAN drivers. I'm on Windows 10 but previously had the same problem on this system on Windows 11.

My bios is up to date and the rest of my drivers are as well except for maybe my GPU as it's been a couple weeks since I checked on them.

Before I updated my LAN drivers and was experiencing lag, I was getting This Event 27 multiple times per day: (note: the following events I am still getting currently everytime I use my computer)

"The description for Event ID 27 from source e2fexpress cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

As well as this Event 32:

"The description for Event ID 32 from source e2fexpress cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table"

I'm also getting Event 55 (47):

Processor 11 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Idle state type: ACPI Idle (C) States (2 state(s))

Performance state type: ACPI Collaborative Processor Performance Control
Nominal Frequency (MHz): 3701
Maximum performance percentage: 125
Minimum performance percentage: 46
Minimum throttle percentage: 15

I get around 10 of these but all of the numbers are a tad different.

Any advice regarding that is appreciated, but mostly for now since this is the ethernet section of the forum I am wondering what the correct solution is to get my ethernet working.

Bios version 2803

Ryzen 5600X

Asus Rog Strix B550-i Gaming

Intel i225 (v)3 Ethernet 

Intel 6 AX200 driver version 22.180.0.4

Currently on Windows 10.0.19048 Build 19045 (I know, not up to date, but like I said the problem was happening on Windows 11 on this machine and that was totally up to date).

I didnt anything specifying whether I need to include some sort of log with this, please let me know if that's necessary and I'll gladly provide one.