Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel Network I225-V Nework issue persist even after FW upgrade

KT_Customs
Novice

Hello,

I have a question about Intel network I225-V. My ASUS Maximus XII Extreme suffer with this issue - https://wccftech.com/intel-foxville-i225-v-2-5gbe-networking-issues-persist-z490-motherboards-affected/ like there mentioned.

But when Intel planning to Supply the manufactures of the newest revision B3 of I225-V NIC on Z490 boards? Because mine is B2 revision and I have this issue when I turn on the PC or restart the PC. And it is very annoying when you playing games and streaming that the network connection will drop. This issue is happening intermittently also when playing games. And this is not all, my network speed drops to half when the connection is dropped and the renewed.

So on my side I have tested all things to get this work without issues. 

So I have tested the Firmware update on ASUS page for I225-V.

Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Everything was success, the FW is actual, but...

And the issue still persist. I have tested the oldest and newest drivers of I225-V and nothing. So, when we can expect the B3 revision on Z490 Boards with I225-V? 

Thank you for your support.

136 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Apologies for the delay on this matter.

Please see below information from our engineering team. 

The official communication on the issue is located here: https://cdrdv2.intel.com/v1/dl/getContent/621661

Please update NVM and driver based on the process below.

1. Boot to Windows.

2. Update NVM to 1.45 again.

3. Shut down system.

4. Turn off Power supply (AC)

5. Wait for 30 seconds.

6. Turn On power supply and boot to Windows

7. Go to device manager, find I225 controller, uninstall all existing drivers, then install LAN driver 1.0.1.4.

8. Verify if you can reproduce the issue again with NVM 1.45 + LAN driver 1.0.1.4.

Note: Both Asus and Gigabyte confirmed that NVM 1.45 + LAN driver 1.0.1.4 do not have performance issue. Engineering at Intel also confirms this.

Let us know of the results once done.

Looking forward to hear an update from you. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you were able to check and try out the steps provided on our previous message. If you do, please share the results with us.

We look forward to your reply.

We will reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello All,

How are you doing?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups.If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored

May you have an amazing day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Stacks
Beginner

Hey guys, I also had the same problem with my ethernet being disconnected every time the computer boots. Both from "cold" start and from sleep.

After fighting with it for a few days, I found that if I disable "power management" for the network card, everything works perfectly.

Motherboard: Z490-F Gaming

Driver: 1.0.1.4

Windows 10 Pro

1. Control panel

2. Network and internet

3. Network connections

4. Right click your ethernet connection

5. Properties

6. Configure

7. Power management

8. Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

9. Save and reboot

https://i.imgur.com/GPr5auU.png

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Overssight
Beginner

Boy oh boy I really thought this would work, felt like that nifty little trick you forget after days of endless nightmare, of knowing all the versions of ethernet off by heart, 1.0.1.3 1.0.1.4 1.0.1.8 intels i225 24.5 and so on and on.

This **bleep**ty z490 Gigabyte Vision G has nothing but problems. I bought it cause it's a golden build for the hackingtosh and man oh man was I in for a surprise. The freaking ethernet driver keeps on popping disconnecting and such. If you do a test run it just tells you that there's a problem with your cable @ 115m away, as if!

Imma RMA this piece of sh*t! Can't stand it anymore!

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

I am absolutely glad that I found this post and absolutely pissed that it exists.  I've been at this issue for over 4 weeks with no resolution.  I've ripped apart my entire network more than I can count, replaced cables, new switches, change ports, uninstalled applications, re-installed the OS, uninstalled antivirus, took down device after device on my network to no available resolution and to find this thread that it's the NIC card on the motherboard!  Venting over........

I found this page first, then this thread post:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057261/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html 

I have the following motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming):
https://rog.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix/ROG-STRIX-Z490-E-GAMING-Model/

I went to the Support Driver page for the motherboard to download the firmware update they provided:
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/
"Version 1.0.1.4 - 2020/05/22 6.98 MBytes

Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide."

and installed the firmware update.  Did exactly what the instructions stated besides installing the driver.  Windows wants to keep me on the 1.0.2.6 version.

I also updated the BIOS too for my motherboard:
" Version 0901 - 2020/11/18 6.36 MBytes

ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING BIOS 0901
1. Update Intel Microcode
2. Improve system performance
3. Update AURA Firmware

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (SZ490E.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

I found an article that says the I225-V 3 has resolved the issue.....
Apparently fixed in V3, November 2020:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/products-and-solutions/networking-and-io/ethernet-controller-i225/technical-library.html?grouping=EMT_Content%20Type&sort=title:asc

>Intel® Ethernet Controller I225 Public External Specification Update
> **621661** dated 11/02/2020

Will this be a software update (crosses fingers) to current I225-V motherboards or will it require a replacement motherboard from the maker of the board?

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

I'd like to add that I HAD downgrade to driver 1.0.1.4 from ASUS dated 4/2/2020 to get a stable internet connection.  There are still some small packets dropping but much better than before.  At least I can maintain constant connection.  I'd advise anyone just reading this message to scroll up to the message above and read through the steps I took to get to this point. 

Intel, when will this be fixed for everyone that has this device?

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

The ASUS Z490-E support page for LAN drivers updated but they are still giving out the 1.0.1.4 driver version.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z490-e-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Copy + Paste from their page below:

LAN
Version 1.0.1.4
2020/11/24 6.98 MBytes

Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

To add, Windows Update is trying to patch everyone machines to a new version that will break the NIC card again!  Be mindful and please fix, Intel.

Here's a screenshot from Windows Update with version number:

VipeNess_0-1606344186881.png

NotImpressed
New Contributor I

Dont even think for a moment that you are allowed to close this issue.

Why have you not gone public and informed the community that all Z490 boards using either the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (1) I225-V or the Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V are faulty at a hardware level.

The only fix for this is a mass recall of all affected boards and a sincere apology for keeping silent on the issue.

We are now in November, and customers with these faulty boards are still unaware.

Here is proof from Intel technicians themselves and a live demonstration of the issue from a user on Youtube.

https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/design/products-and-solutions/networking-and-io/ethernet-controller-i225/technical-library.html?grouping=EMT_Content%20Type&sort=title:asc

and

proof that the issue persists even with V2

https://youtu.be/j1Vf4Im6gY0

0 Kudos
daboss
Beginner

I am having the same issue, I have recently bought the ASUS ATX ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING. My internet connection randomly drops and have to a full restart to get it working again!

If this is a fault on a hardware level then it is a pretty serious issue but still hope it can be fixed with a 'simple' driver update.

My Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V is on driver version1.0.2.6 and still drops randomly.

0 Kudos
NotImpressed
New Contributor I

Driver updates only managed to make the problem far worse for me, the fix they posted on the ROG subreddit actually advises not to use the newer driver, sounds like we are stuck using the old driver included with the motherboard if you happen to have one of the botched I225-V components in your board.

0 Kudos
NotImpressed
New Contributor I

and by "fix" it's not a fix you still get packet loss, just not as much.

0 Kudos
sis3970
Beginner

I have the same issues.

• Connection drops
  • Packet loss
  • low speed
  • Not able to boot from LAN signal unless 
0 Kudos
NotImpressed
New Contributor I

Intel do you have an update on this? Asus wants to replace my Z490 E board with the same model but will it be faulty as well?

Amazon did the first replacement for me initially but their replacement gave me packet loss too.

Should I go forward with my replacement from Asus or is there something we need to know?

Please hurry, I've been over issues for over a month now and the issue is still unresolved.

0 Kudos
VipeNess
New Contributor I

Yes, we need a resolution to this issue.  I can't stay on 1.0.1.4 for the entire lifetime of the product especially with loss packets.

Even if we RMA the board or return it for another one at the vendor's expense... it will be the "exact same issue" because it is the same exact hardware "the network card".

It's time to stop this issue once and for all.  It spans multiple boards and manufactures.  Please share with us how this is going to be fixed!  Enough is enough!

0 Kudos
NotImpressed
New Contributor I

Yes, that is currently my problem with Asus right now, they want to replace my board but they have told me the replacement may be using the faulty I225-V as well.

So for now they have told me to wait until they can verify.

0 Kudos
Baetis
Novice

Same story as most everyone else here: Asus Rog Strix Z490-F Gaming motherboard.

ArmoryCrate installed latest drivers, and ethernet keeps dropping every 30 sec or so booting me from games and interrupting twitch streams, etc.

Found a solution on techpowerup forums:  after manually uninstalling your driver (windows key + x, select networking right click uninstall) then visit this page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=184686 and install that driver for whatever version of winblows you have (32/64). (make sure your ethernet crap is listed in the supported devices list on that page)

It's the exact same driver as I had before, but somehow this worked for me, no more ethernet problems.

0 Kudos
Baetis
Novice

Hmm, no edit button here so I replied to my own msg instead - Windows key + x, select device manager, select network adapter, right click your Intel Ethernet Controller (l225 V for me) then uninstall before installing the driver package linked above

0 Kudos
Znuas
Beginner

@Caguicla_Intel 

This issue persist. 

After my last run at the drivers my card no longer disconnects, but now my Ethernet card says "Speed: 10.0 Mbps". 

Switching the cable to my laptop or other desktop results in "Speed: 100.0 Mbps".

If I engage in any kind of download my speeds are reduced directly to an avarage of 1 Mbps  

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

I have exactly the same problems. Internet drops me while gaming or my speeds get as low as 10%. Download is fine but Uploading causes bufferbloat & packet loss. Capping the upload speeds patches the problem but not fixing it. 
I had the same problems (but worse) with new Realtek 2.5gb NIC. I RMA the board but now I have the same problems with Intel NIC.

I thought the issue could be some of other Windows drivers, Microsoft likes to link them these days.

My board is ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING.

Its borderline UNUSABLE. 
And i was so excited for the new Intel NICs...
Here is my System Support Utility saved file for the admin. I had no issues today but I havent used to much today anyway..... Please fix this.

0 Kudos