Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel Network I225-V Nework issue persist even after FW upgrade

KT_Customs
Novice

Hello,

I have a question about Intel network I225-V. My ASUS Maximus XII Extreme suffer with this issue - https://wccftech.com/intel-foxville-i225-v-2-5gbe-networking-issues-persist-z490-motherboards-affected/ like there mentioned.

But when Intel planning to Supply the manufactures of the newest revision B3 of I225-V NIC on Z490 boards? Because mine is B2 revision and I have this issue when I turn on the PC or restart the PC. And it is very annoying when you playing games and streaming that the network connection will drop. This issue is happening intermittently also when playing games. And this is not all, my network speed drops to half when the connection is dropped and the renewed.

So on my side I have tested all things to get this work without issues. 

So I have tested the Firmware update on ASUS page for I225-V.

Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.1.4 for Windows 10 64-bit.
Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally. For more information, please refer to the firmware update guide.

Everything was success, the FW is actual, but...

And the issue still persist. I have tested the oldest and newest drivers of I225-V and nothing. So, when we can expect the B3 revision on Z490 Boards with I225-V? 

Thank you for your support.

136 Replies
Engine
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

i have never experienced such an incompetent company and employees. why are you so silent, why you dont answer your customers, why we dont get an update of the "high priority case" @Caguicla_Intel was talking from in another thread? what should v1-v2 nic users have to do now? this is so sad what is happening here!!!

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

daily push for visibility

0 Kudos
Rottmeister
Novice

daily push for visibility

0 Kudos
n1kobg
Novice

Thanks for the info. z490 Gigabye Elite has Realtek NIC with the same problem, even worse. Its not just Intel.

0 Kudos
halono
Novice
0 Kudos
Engine
New Contributor I

i returned my board after talking to the vendor, who couldn't verify that i'll get a new one with b3 stepping, since they didn't get any information by asus or intel themselfes and are pissed af (big german pc part trader).
intel is dead to me as of now. cpu is amd, new nic is from realtek. i can't listen to this inflated pseudo native speaking mods anymore. this whole situation is something intel, their support team and their board partners should ne ashamed of.

i just recommend you to do the same, it was quite freeing to ship the old board back to the vendor.
i'm out of here. gl getting any real information until you run out of warranty or the lifecycle of the motherboard.....

gl, all, cheers Peter.

p.s.: just keep deleting my posts intel. the people here know what you're up too. this isnt flooding btw. you copy pasted your answer to every thread as well. mine does at least contain a solution -> return your intel products

ClarenceDonath
Beginner

I have achieved a stable I225-V hardware v2 connection using driver version 1.0.2.6

I got a clue when I found my Windows 10 power plan kept getting reset back to Balanced at some point after I set it to High performance -- likely when I go away and am inactive.

It would be helpful if others can reproduce my use case.

I'm considering the Asus AI Suite 3 as the cause.  Specifically, the EPU Away Mode.
In the "Dual Intelligent Processors 5" program chose EPU and disable all settings for Away Mode.
There are two "Enable Away Mode" check boxes, one each in the Performance and Power Saving tabs.  Clear both of these.
Go back to Windows Power plans and reset defaults to your chosen power plan.
I would then go into Windows Device Manager and "Uninstall device" for the I225-V and reboot to allow Windows to install the latest version of the driver -- or install it manually, however you want.  I'm not too concerned about the driver version -- deleting the driver should restore any power saving settings to default.  I suspect it is the Asus AI suite that is changing the device settings through Away mode, in some unknown way, causing the device to misbehave.

0 Kudos
halono
Novice

I had this problem but I got it solved.

I got it working stable on 1gbit when I went to Device Manager (right click Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V -> Properties -> Advanced and turned Off Energy Efficient Ethernet .

0 Kudos
Glynnlo
Beginner

I'll give this a shot an report back.  I've got exactly the same problem with a brand new Mobo / Chip / fresh Win10 Pro install.  It manifests as an Ethernet connection drop for 2-10 seconds during Google Meet or MS Teams calls (happens intermittently around once every minute or two).  The Windows Network Icon changes from "Connected" (Ethernet) to the "No Internet Access" Icon for the duration of the issue (a few seconds) and then returns to the "Connected" state when the connection is restored.

All HW Received on March 2, 2021 (so this is still a very active issue)

- ASUS PRIME Z490-A LGA 1200

- Intel Core i9-10850K Comet Lake 10-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1200

- Windows 10 Pro Fresh Install

- From Device Manager: "Intel(R) Ethernet Controller (2) I225-V

- Driver Version: 1/0/2/6

Energy Efficient Ethernet is now "Off" - will report back if this helps.

0 Kudos
aceridgey
Novice
Don't use 1.0.2.6. Try 1.0.1.3 first
Glynnlo
Beginner

One  more item I forgot to include in my initial response:

All Ethernet devices in my home get 800-900 Mbps download and upload.  With this new MoBo, I get 200 download and 900 upload.  There seems to be a number of people with this issue as well (Reddit), specifically referencing the I225-V.

0 Kudos
Glynnlo
Beginner

Update:

At least got my Download speed fixed.  100% a result of following the LAN guidance on the ASUS Drivers Page (for ASUS Prime Z490-A: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-Z490-A/helpdesk_Download/)

Note: My Driver was 1.0.2.6 Prior to this change

Instructions (a little confusing at first b/c I didn't realize that the FW Update tool is actually IN the Driver Download): 
"Before installing Intel I225-V driver v.1.0.1.4, please ensure that Intel I225-V firmware should be updated to v.1.45 via firmware update tool. After finishing necessary firmware update, please shut down and unplug the power cord then reboot the system normally."

The DOWNLOAD Link for "LAN" contains (2) folders - one of them is "I225V_End_User_FW_UPDATED.zip" - this is the Firmware update.  I did this first per the instructions.  For this STEP, there is a PDF with instructions on updating the FW (basically press ENTER twice).  I did get a bunch of RED text at the end of the update - but the PDF shows that as well, so it seems to have worked.

Next - unplugged AC Cord for a minute or two.  Plugged back in.  Booted up.

Then I Unzipped the other folder (DRV_LAN_Intel_I225_UWD_TP_W10....) into a local folder and Ran the .EXE).  

My Driver now shows 1.0.1.4.

Speed Test immediately showed my speed back to 900Mbps (vs 200).  

Now we just need to see if this fixes the Connection dropping issue...

0 Kudos
Rottmeister
Novice

So where is the update for this issue? It does not resolve by itself, Intel!!!

0 Kudos
POWERMAN
Novice

Hi Intel Support,

My Ethernet controller failed today as well.

I am running a Gigabyte Aorus Pro AX with the Intel Ethernet Controller (2) I225 - V.

Could you please let me know how to go about resolving this?

I only get wifi connectivity now and its not the best in terms of speed.
I've even tried updating to your latest driver but it hasnt helped at all : (

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Could you please let me know how to go about resolving this?

0 Kudos
Rottmeister
Novice

Why is Intel ignoring the issue?

0 Kudos
halono
Novice

I would like to withdraw my post at https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-Network-I225-V-Nework-issue-persist-even-after-FW-upgrade/m-p/1264234#M24427

I've also tested the new 1.0.2.13 driver and it didnt help. I got hold of a USB ethernet dongle and it gives me much better speed and stability.

The issue still persist. I am returning my mainboard.

0 Kudos
KT_Customs
Novice

It is good that my thread here helped a lot people find an answer I have a continuing of this..

My friend bought Gigabyte Z490 Vision G with i225-V controller. Faulty.. random packetloss, disconnecting.. B2 revision and after week the NIC died.. So congrats Intel..

Second - bought Asus Maximus XII Extreme Z490 to finally build hi-end and it ended up like return the mainboard because random dropouts.. so very very great job and lot of angy customers. I hope that mainboards with i225-V with B1 and B2 will be properly fixed.. or all of them repaired or scrapped.. because these mainboards are worldwide milions. This issue must not again appear INTEL ! So, If you release something new.. test it properly when you put this onto a new product ! Because now I'm on side of angry customers.. But I will monitor this situation and I hope it will be solved. And I hope.. that the newest Z590 mainboards will be equipped with B3 or 1000000% reliable NIC controller.

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

Chiming in here  - I too am seeing the same relentless disconnects from my i225-V in my ASUS Proart z490 Creator motherboard. 

To be clear - I am very aware of the procedure to upgrade the NVM firmware to 1.45 AND only use driver 1.0.1.4 with this board - and I am running with both of these changes - but this card still is posting a relentless set of "Error 27 disconnect" events to Event viewer.

The strangest part of this issue is the unexplained randomness of it all. Last night - I recorded at least 50 disconnect/reconnect messages in the event log within a period of maybe 45 minutes - then nothing for about an hour and then a few more scattered event entries.

What exactly is this interface doing one minute and then not the next to suddenly start dropping it's connection?

Not sure what else I can do outside of adding a PCIe NIC to this box and shut this I225-V off permanently.

My board was purchased in March 2021 and I believe the only recourse at this late stage would be an RMA but I am not looking forward to that experience especially with ASUS support.

Appreciate any other support or tips from the field on getting this LOB working correctly (and consistently).

Cheers

Sonic

0 Kudos
criskoe
Novice

@SonicMojo 

This thread is dead dude. You wont get any help here. And hate to say it your probably SOL with that NIC on the board. If your board has a secondary NIC on it I suggest you use it instead. Lucky my z490 Maximus XII Extreme has a secondary 10gb Aquantia NIC on the board cause the intel one is garbage. Sorry man. Im sure not the news you wanted to hear. 

Also dont waste your time with RMA. I tried 3 XII Extremes and they all had issues with the I225-V. Its garbage and flawed at the hardware level and intel cant and wont do anything about it... But I mean you can try RMA if you want but Im pretty certain you will still have this issue. 

Good luck

0 Kudos
SonicMojo
Beginner

@criskoe wrote:

@SonicMojo 

This thread is dead dude. You wont get any help here. And hate to say it your probably SOL with that NIC on the board. If your board has a secondary NIC on it I suggest you use it instead. Lucky my z490 Maximus XII Extreme has a secondary 10gb Aquantia NIC on the board cause the intel one is garbage. Sorry man. Im sure not the news you wanted to hear. 

Also dont waste your time with RMA. I tried 3 XII Extremes and they all had issues with the I225-V. Its garbage and flawed at the hardware level and intel cant and wont do anything about it... But I mean you can try RMA if you want but Im pretty certain you will still have this issue. 

Good luck

Criskoe,

Thanks for the input. And yes - looks like I might need to either RMA this board (ugh) OR supplement with a PCI card (which is much easier). I need to be assured that the board (minus the NIC interface) is still sound.

If it's going to be ugly as this thing ages - it might be better to just get rid of it and move onto something else.

Gonna have to think this through. Might need to contact ASUS as well (as much as I am not looking for that).

SOnic.

0 Kudos