Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM Slow Download Speed

DComm
Beginner

Dear people of the Intel Community

I own an HP ProDesk 600 GI TWR wich i actually only use for playing video games. This PC only has an wired internet adapter build on the motherboard.

I also own an Xbox One, and when i play on either one of them i plug in an U-UTP cable for the best performance.

My average download speed is around 35mb/s and i do get this speed on my Xbox.

But i noticed on my PC that the download speed doesnt get past 4mb/s.

The strange thing is that i use the same cable and im using the same network, both of my xbox as my pc are standing at the same location only a couple of meters away from the router.

I updated the driver to the latest version but still it wont get the same speeds as my Xbox.

According to the specs of the network adapter it can handle speeds up to 1GB.

Is there an solution to this problem? Or are there external wired ethernet adapters? Because i prefer a cable over wifi.

I hope someone can help me with this problem!

Thank you in advance

Dean

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi ThaDcc,

Thank you for writing in Wired Communities. Can you share more information below?

1) What is the operating system?

2) Did you download the driver from Intel website? What is the driver version?

3) When you said the speed runs at 4 Mbs/s, are you connecting to the router from your ISP? Have you check with the ISP for the speed?

(I understand you were getting 35 Mb/s on the Xbox)

4) Is the router port speed configured as gigabit speed?

Further as this is an onboard NIC on HP* system, have you contact HP* for the support?

Please feel free to update me.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
DComm
Beginner

Hi Sharon

First of all.. Wow.. Thank you very much for the fast response..

1. Im currently running on Windows 10 Pro

2. No i didnt.. I let the PC search for itself after finding the adapter in the device manager.. Now that you mention, i could try to download it from the Intel site to see what happens. I did ran the hardware check from the Intel website (wich is very convenient btw) and it said the driver version is: 12.15.25.6712.

3. Yes i am.. My supplier is called Tele2 and i plugged a cable straight from the router into my xbox or pc.

4. I actually dont know.. I didnt see an option to change that.. I only saw it could handle 1gb speed

Mmh no i have not.. I could also ask HP but i thought because it is an Intel adapter on an Intel motherboard i first try the Intel forums.. I will try anything at this moment so that is also a very good idea..

Greets,

Dean

P.S. im sorry if i cant reply as fast as you, it is currently 4 oclock in the morning here in the Netherlands so i really have to get some sleep xD.. I hope it isnt gonna be a problem if i respond a bit later.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ThaDcc,

Thank you for the information. No worries, you can reply at your convenient time, there is no time constraint. The driver version seems good, it is Windows* 10 driver version for I217-LM.

Please check with your router support if there is any speed setting.

I understand the cable has no issue when connect to XBOX, in case you have a spare cable, please try as well.

You may also try configure the advance setting in network adapter property by tweaking some option that could help improve the performance but this depends on the setup and environment, there is no specific configuration which one to adjust:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005593/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

The reason I refer to you to contact HP* is though this is an Intel Ethernet Controller but it is embedded on the third party system, as this component is part of the system, it is recommended for the board vendor to further support. Here is the reference website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006628/network-and-i-o/ethernet-

products.html?wapkw=oem+network

Hope the above information help.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ThaDcc,

Please feel free to update me if you have tried the suggestion and further contact HP* as they are in better to assist you with the onboard NIC which is part of their system. Hope to hear good news from you.

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ThaDcc,

As an additional suggestion. YOu may also try the following configurations to see if these could be of any help:

Windows Auto-tuninig configuration

1) Go to command prompt with administrator privilege, type the following command "netsh interface tcp show global"

2) Check if "Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level" is set to "normal" ,

3) You may disable it by using the command netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Large send offload

Go to advanced properties of I217 in device manager and disable the large send offload

Please feel free to update me. Thanks.

Regards,

Sharon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ThaDcc,

Please feel free to update me if you have tried the suggestion and if further assistance required?

Thanks,

Sharon

0 Kudos