Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5026 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V connection drop for a few seconds

LP31
Novice

Hello,

Im on Windows 11 64, up to date, with all applications/drivers/firmware up to date.

I have an Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO with onboard Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V but my card loose connection very often (like 8-10 times per hour). Its horrible, can't play games etc ...

There is a warning (id 27) in the event manager:

"Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link is disconnected."

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="e2fnexpress" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="32772">27</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-01-15T10:30:14.4341348Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>6810</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="164" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>PB31</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data /> 
  <Data>Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V</Data> 
  <Binary>0000000002002800000000001B000480000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

then 5-6 seconds later there is a information with id 32 in the event manager:

"Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex."

Tested with:

- last version 2.1.2.3 => problem

- version 2.1.1.7 => problem

- version 1.1.3.28 => problem

There is no version working!

The cable, the modem etc don't have problem, i have tested with others computers => no problem.

So it seem that the Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V got a problem.

I dont have found a new firmware? normal?

Seems the same error as https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-R-Ethernet-Contoller-I226-V-connection-drop/m-p/1439558/thread-id/31538

Please help! @Mike_Intel 

52 Replies
Vlisk
Beginner
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z790 Hero
  • BIOS: 0816
  • CPU: Intel i9-13900k
  • I226 LAN driver version: 2.1.2.3

I reinstalled windows after downloading the I226 LAN driver version: 2.1.3.3 yesterday from the ASUS site.  That did nothing much. I tried to install the 2.1.3.3, again from the ASUS site, however today it is not available. What is going on. Setting up a system on spotty eth or wifi puts me on the struggle bus for reasons I cannot comprehend since the technology has been around for some time. 

This is not my modem. There are two other new systems not using the intel nics and they are fine. Wifi is okay. Just would like to find a better solution then bush fixing brand new hardware. 

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice

Hello,

I'm the originator of this thread and I can confirm that with the new version 2.1.3.3 there is still the issue

• Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO
  • BIOS: 816
  • CPU: Intel i9-13900k
  • Cable Modem: ISP Box (Freebox Delta which is used by thousand of person)
  • Network Switch: NO, directly conencted to the ISP Box
  • I226 LAN driver version: 2.1.3.3

0 Kudos
Scoopz
Novice

Thanks for the update. I noticed a new version 2.1.3.3 had been released by ASUS 3 days ago but haven't had chance to try it yet. Shame you've not had any luck with 2.1.3.3, at least it manages my expecations that it's not going to fix it.

0 Kudos
RuedigerP
Beginner

Hi,

I have tested the latest 1.1.4.38 and the problem still persist. Problem is occurring with this driver also. 

Regards

Ruediger

RuedigerP_0-1679671601058.png

0 Kudos
AY1
Employee

Hello.

I am working directly with our engineering for further investigation into the root cause of this issue.

Could you help to confirm your model of IP Box? Is it the one as stated below?

FreeBOx Delta -  https://www.free.fr/freebox/freebox-delta/?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice

Hello @AY1 

Yes my ISP Box is FreeBox Delta -  https://www.free.fr/freebox/freebox-delta

Regards

0 Kudos
AY1
Employee

Hello.

I am working directly with the engineering team for this issue.

Could you help  to share the brand and model information of your Modem / switch. Also please disable EEE in your existing driver to verify the issue again.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice

For me, it seems that the bug is related to EEE.  (and present in 2.1.3.3)

I have tested with EEE "Activated"  and I got the issue like 8 or 9 times in an hour.

In windows events:

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link is disconnected.

then

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex.

Then set it to disabled and the issue seems to went away. (no more connection drop and no traces in windows event)

I have doubts too on auto negocating speed, im currently testing it.

Hope it help

Regards

0 Kudos
AY1
Employee

Hello.

I am working directly with our engineering team to investigate further on the root cause of this issue. Could you help to confirm if you can still reproduce the issue with EEE disabled driver (2.1.3.3)?

Also please confirm your Cable Modem and Network Switch

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Scoopz
Novice

Hi AY1.

This is meant to be my primary workstation at work but due to the network issue I've had to take it offline and revert back to my old workstation. I will test out of work hours with 2.1.3.3 and EEE disabled and report back later this week.

The links you have included are all correct hardware for my network setup.

The computer is connected directly to the UniFi Flex on the work desk, which in turn is connected to the Draytek P2540x which is the main network switch in the server room and this uplinks to the Draytek Vigor 3910 which is our primary router.

0 Kudos
Carl-Brit
Beginner
As above posts I’ started getting this internet disconnect issue a couple weeks ago (wasn’t always present, or I didn’t notice before) constantly crashing my online games now completely disconnecting my internet but only for a couple minutes at a time.

I have the ASUS ROG Z790 Hero motherboard, tried disabling EEE, forcing 2.5 Gbps full duplex, tried different drivers didn’t help, I even purchased an Amazon basics USB 3.1 Ethernet adapter but that still didn’t help, I’ve noticed now that my internet speeds over LAN AND WI-FI are capped to 100Mbps (my router gets 270Mbps) something is stopping the full speed at the pc, Tested other PC’s no issues they get the full speed and no disconnects, and the Ethernet cable is fine too, it’s the Intel adapter I226-V causing the problems and I can’t find a fix other than using the WI-FI connection for now.
TrevrSmth
Novice

Same issue MSI Z790 Carbon Wifi........

I thought it had to do with me flashing the BIOS, so I reverted back to previous BIOS and it started working fine again, then I decided to update the stupid LAN driver and it started happening AGAIN, frustrating because I didn't care to look at the version prior to updating the LAN driver.. even rolling back the driver does not help. Disabling the EEE does nothing.

21hz
Novice

The same thing is happening to me. I've had my motherboard with I226v for about a month now and it worked great, I thought I would be clear of this issue. Now I'm getting disconnected very frequently, and it gets worse with load. EEE or limiting speed to 1G from 2.5G does not change anything. BEWARE OF of Intel I226-V, especially since after multiple software updates they still cannot fix it and if it is a hardware issue, it won't be going away. I created this account just to say how messed up this is. I have a Asus Z790-Plus Wifi D4 motherboard.

After contacting Asus Chat support on 5/11/2023 I was instructed to download Intel I226-V Driver 1.1.3.34 from 8/11/2022, downgrading from V1.1.4.38. I am not sure if I had V1.1.4.38 the entire time, or if it was a recent update and I was using a older version prior. I was also told to update my bios to the latest version (V1002), which was, at the time, one version below. After bios update and restart, the frequent disconnect issue seems to be subsided for now and internet speeds/latency are the same/what they should be. I will update if problems persist.

0 Kudos
21hz
Novice

It did not fix my issue, it came back a short while later. However, upgrading back to the latest intel driver 1.14~ with a NEW ethernet cable, seems to have reliably fixed the issue after a couple of days.

0 Kudos
alexisdaeron
Beginner

I have the same problem with a MSI Z790 MPG Edge Wifi with the BIOS Update and the Last Driver Intel. It worked for 1 month and you have the result in image. EEE désactivated

Capture d’écran 2023-05-17 115959.png

0 Kudos
DarrenMiller
Beginner

I just took delivery of a ROG Maximus Apex and I have this exact issue.  Seems they still haven't resolved the issue.  

The irony I have a cheap 1GbE TPlink PCIE adaptor, which I keep as a backup,  I put that in the system using all the exact same settings and cables, solid as a rock.  

The fact that nothing has been resolved for this issue is shocking!  I can only deduce that Intel should keep clear of the network market and stick to what they're good at considering their i226-V chip is being out performed by a cheap and cheerful Realtek.  Not impressed at all. 

I've tried all the suggestions in this thread none of them work, in fact disabling EEE made the disconnections even worse!  how is that even possible, the network card was disconnecting at a rate of seconds over minutes.  Upstream is a Cisco unmanaged switch, and the installation is brand new.  i.e. I completely reinstalled the system from scratch after installing the new board and chip.   

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello,

Intel is pleased to inform that we have identified and resolved the issue. To ensure optimal performance, we recommend all affected users work with motherboard vendors to update NVM version to 2.22 and Windows 11 driver to 2.1.3.15 or Windows 10 driver to 1.1.4.42. These updates have undergone extensive testing and have demonstrated stability.

After applying these updates, it is safe to manually enable "Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)" mode in the Windows driver.

If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding these updates, please contact us.

Thank you for choosing Intel.

Best Regards,

Irwan_Intel

Scoopz
Novice

Hi Irwan_Intel,

It's nice to know Intel have finally identified and resolved the issue albeit 12 months after originally reported.

For the benefit of those affected and helping with the troubleshooting, could you give us an explanation to what you identified and why it only affected this particular motherboard? 

I have been using a 3rd party NIC because a fix was too slow but I am happy to attempt to try with teh latest drivers BUT what do you mean by "update NVM version to 2.22" and "Windows 11 driver to 2.1.3.15". Where? For what? Could you please give a more detailed explanation, perhaps with links to download pages because I don't know what NVM is and Windows 11 Driver for what, the onboard NIC itself? Where is this coming from?

ASUS Support pages for my Z790 Hero only show "Intel I225/I226 LAN NDIS driver V1.1.4.38 for Windows 10 64-bit and Windows 11 64-bit."

Scoopz_0-1701700852338.png

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice

Hello @Irwan_Intel 

Thanks for the update.

Can you share the link to download NVM version to 2.22 and Windows 11 driver to 2.1.3.15 please?

Impossible to find it actually ...

Regards,

0 Kudos
21hz
Novice

we recommend all affected users work with motherboard vendors to update NVM version to 2.22 and Windows 11 driver to 2.1.3.15

I think this implies that it is our job to get Asus to update our motherboards and provided drivers. 

0 Kudos
Scoopz
Novice

good luck with that everyone. ASUS have been totally in the dark about this issue, no clue what I'm talking about when I tried to get the name of the person in charge of my ticket, no clue that Intel were involved and working on this and no clue that an issue even exists. 

@Irwan_Intel - could you please explain EXACTLY what it is you need affected users to do, I'm talking step by step with links, screenshots, etc. Or give us some direct contact details and ticket numbers, references, etc for us to contact ASUS. At the moment end users are playing piggy-in-the-middle here between Intel ans ASUS, you've found the issue (great) but no real direction on how end users apply the fix.

0 Kudos