Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V connection drop for a few seconds

LP31
Novice

Hello,

Im on Windows 11 64, up to date, with all applications/drivers/firmware up to date.

I have an Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO with onboard Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V but my card loose connection very often (like 8-10 times per hour). Its horrible, can't play games etc ...

There is a warning (id 27) in the event manager:

"Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link is disconnected."

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="e2fnexpress" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="32772">27</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-01-15T10:30:14.4341348Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>6810</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="164" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>PB31</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data /> 
  <Data>Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V</Data> 
  <Binary>0000000002002800000000001B000480000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

then 5-6 seconds later there is a information with id 32 in the event manager:

Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex."

Tested with:

- last version 2.1.2.3 => problem

- version 2.1.1.7 => problem

- version 1.1.3.28 => problem

There is no version working!

The cable, the modem etc don't have problem, i have tested with others computers => no problem.

So it seem that the Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V got a problem.

I dont have found a new firmware? normal?

Seems the same error as https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-R-Ethernet-Contoller-I226-V-connection-drop/m-p/1439558/thread-id/31538

Please help! @Mike_Intel 

52 Replies
Nolenthar
Beginner

I have a very similar issue, though it's not exactly the same symptom.

On my side, the cable appears connected, but the Internet link is lost. The same warning can be found in the Event Viewer

The description for Event ID 27 from source e2fexpress cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

I can usually fix the problem by going into device manager, uninstall the device (I do not tick "remove the driver") then I wait a couple of seconds and click "Scan for Hardware Change". 

The connection will then come back with Ethernet.

I also do use an Asus Motherboard, but the Prime z-790-A Wifi. Luckily the Wifi connection is stable, but I'd much rather use my 2Gbps fiber line than be stuck at around 700Mbps with Wifi. 

No drivers work either. 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LP31,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please share the following information that would help in checking your request. 

1. When was the issue first encountered?

2. Do you lose connection even when doing nothing on your PC or by just browsing the internet?

3. Please share the link where you downloaded the drivers that you have tested. 

4. Have you tried using the driver provided by your manufacturer? For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) on-board Ethernet controller, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support and it would be best if you can also get in touch with Asus for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller.

We look forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice
0 Kudos
Nolenthar
Beginner

Hey there

Thank you for the prompt response.

It occurred quite soon right after the brand new install of Windows 11 Pro. This is a brand new PC. Two different installs have done the same, nothing has fixed it permanently. 

2. Do you lose connection even when doing nothing on your PC or by just browsing the internet?

It usually either works at start up (after boot) or doesn't. I can't remember of any session where it "worked" then "stopped working" ; though I can't confirm it will never do it. I usually notice quickly after a boot and if I see only a Wi-Fi connection, it know it encountered the issue. I uninstall the device, refresh hardware and the ethernet connection is quickly established. That being said, as I have a fairly good wifi connection, it's possible it takes over from time to time. 

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/M6668/Intel_LAN_Driver_V1.1.3.28_Windows_11_64-bit_I226.zip?model=PRIME%20Z790-A%20WIFI

4. Have you tried using the driver provided by your manufacturer?

I haven't used any other. I was under the impression this was directly an Intel Driver, distributed by Asus, rather than a driver produced by Asus, but I might be wrong. 

0 Kudos
Nolenthar
Beginner

I can now confirm the problem may also randomly occur when resuming from low power.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Nolenthar, 

Appreciate your reply. 

You may want to try and visit the link below for the troubleshooting steps for Error 27 issue. Although the troubleshooting below is for Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V, this is also applicable for the I226-V controllers. 

Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V Suddenly Stops Working with Error: "Event ID 27"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000087266/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-adapters-up-to-2-5gbe.html

If issue still occurs, we would suggest contacting your manufacturers for further assistance on this matter. You may check this link for the list of System Manufacturers

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html?tab=system-manufacturers

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
JonathonO
Beginner

Same problem as Nolenthar and LP31. In fact I have the same motherboard as LP31 and can confirm it's the Power Management options that are main cause for me (doesn't matter what Speed/Duplex setting I choose). I have no reason or evidence to believe there is a Power related issue with my PC build either.

Worth noting that although the above works and switching to wireless with the onboard: Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX211 works, I am seeing issues with wireless as well but mainly in the Event Viewer. I'm not experiencing the same loss of connectivity, but it does appear to have similar symptoms:

The description for Event ID 6062 from source Netwtw12 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP1
Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice

Hello @Crisselle_Intel ,

To reply to your questions:

=> I just bought the Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO motherboard. The problem is therefore from its first use

=> Yes I lose the connection even when doing nothing on the PC, but it's very present when I play online games

=> drivers have been download from https://www.asus.com/fr/supportonly/rog%20maximus%20z790%20hero/helpdesk_download/
=> direct link https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/04LAN/DRV_LAN_Intel_I226_Cx_TP_W11_64_V2123_20221219R.zip?mode...
=> I have also tested drivers provided by Intel® Driver & Support Assistant

4. Have you tried using the driver provided by your manufacturer?
=> yes

It seems that the problem is related with Auto-Negotiate speed. I have setted it to 1Gbps and Power Management option on my 226-V and on my router and seems ok (to be confirmed).

A new firmware/driver must be proposed by intel to fix this, it must work as expected.

Regards

Caguicla_Intel

Hello LP31,

Thank you for the reply.

We will be waiting for your update to confirm if the issue will be completely resolved after setting the Auto-Negotiate speed to 1Gbps and Power Management option.

Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
LP31
Novice

Hello @Caguicla_Intel ,

This workaround seems fix the drop of connection on Intel-R-Ethernet-Contoller-I226-V.

We need more information/clarification of why this is happening.

Then, what is the plan for intel to fix the issue? Driver update? Firmware update?

Regards,

Cam__Intel
Employee

Hello LP31,

I'm working directly with our engineering team to help debug this issue.  If you are willing we could use your help.

Can you please share with us the following:

1. Memory dump after the issue reproduced (see instruction below)
  2. Collect event viewer log (see instruction below)
  3. What is the link partner (switch/mode,/router) being used (company and model), it might be that the issue related to interoperability with specific devices.

After the above information is collected, our next step will be to collect a driver log during the failure. Instructions on how to do this will be forthcoming.

Memory dump:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/generate-a-kernel-or-complete-crash-dump

1. Follow the manually generate memory dump file 
  2. After restart MEMORY.DMP will be found in C:\Windows\memory.dmp

Event viewer: In event viewer choose Windows Logs > System > Save All Event As and save the file

Thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Cameron

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello LP31,

Thank you for the update.

Please allow us to consult this with our engineers. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
RuedigerP
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

unfortunately there is no reply for more than 3 work days. Is there any update on this issue? It looks like a general problem, since you can find many similar reports for this controller. Is there any solution to expect?

Thanks in advance!

Ruediger

0 Kudos
heusmich
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same problem with my new mainboard, Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 APEX.

I also get disconnected every few seconds when I choose 2,5 Gbit full duplex. Even with 1 Gbit full Duplex I frequently get disconnected.

At the moment I changed it to 100 Mbit full duplex, there I don´t have the problems.

Is there already any solution for this problem?

Best regards

heusmich

Grom77
Beginner

I also have a constantly torn connection on the motherboard MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI are you going to solve the problem at all? how long has it been possible, we pay such a lot of money for not cheap motherboards and it doesn't work properly, it's just a shame

broadcastguy
Beginner

I just setup my Z790 Carbon WiFi and so far I'm only seeing a couple of errors in the event log at the time of startup. I'm using driver version 1.1.3.28 on a Windows 10 Pro install. I do agree, however, that if this is a hardware issue, I shouldn't be expected to purchase a PCIe NIC to solve the problem--I am currently using the only accessible PCIe slot (RTX 4090 is massive and covers the other slot) for a capture card.

This motherboard wasn't cheap and I expect it to work flawlessly!

0 Kudos
RuedigerP
Beginner

Hello,

same problem here. Same MB as the OP.

Currently it is only usable when I plug in a separate Lan adapter via USB-C. The system is unusable via onboard controller. Disconnects every few minutes. Neither backup, nor any bigger updates possible, since transfer gets disconnects. This is very annoying.

Finest Regards 

Ruediger

Update: added system configuration

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 HERO
• RAM 64 GB G.Skill
• BIOS: 0813 (latest available)
• CPU: Intel I9-13900KS
• Cable Modem: Infrastructure
• Network Switch: Cicso WS-C2960L-16PS-LL (FW 15.2(7)E2)
• I226 LAN driver version: 1.1.3.28
• Issue Reproduction Steps: nothing to. The NIC loses connection every few minutes
• OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit fully updated as of (03.02.2023)

0 Kudos
Beto
Beginner

Hi all

I've the same problem with an Asus Prime z790-A WIFI.

If I connect directly to the router, no problems, only through the unmanaged switch. Its a good one from Ovislink 1 GBPS that haven't given any problems in the past.

Its interesting that it only happens when there is at least one hop in the network architecture, or maybe because the chip does not work properly with some switches for a reason.

We hope you are able to find a solution somehow

0 Kudos
Cam__Intel
Employee

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your information about this issue, we welcome your input. 

We have posted a communication on this topic at this LINK Future updates from Intel about this issue will be posted on this thread.  The issue has been reproduced, and we are working diligently on a root cause and fix.

Important Note:  For any of our customers experiencing this problem, a mitigation option to explore is to disable the “Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE)” mode in the Advanced Windows/ Linux driver setting.  We believe this should help.

Also, for customers that are experiencing this issue and willing to share some information, please see below what would be of most help to us.

Information to share with Intel:

Did you experience Random connection drops at random times? If yes, can you please provide more information about your hardware setup like BIOS version, CPU, RAM, Cable Modem, and Switch?

• Motherboard:
  • BIOS:
  • CPU:
  • Cable Modem:
  • Network Switch:
  • I226 LAN driver version:
  • Issue Reproduction Steps

Best Regards,

Intel

0 Kudos
Scoopz
Novice

I'm experiencing this exact issue with network disconnect several times an hour

• Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z790 Hero
  • BIOS: 0816
  • CPU: Intel i9-13900k
  • Cable Modem: You mean router? Draytek Vigor 3910
  • Network Switch: Draytek P2540x and Unifi Flex
  • I226 LAN driver version: 2.1.3.3
  • Issue Reproduction Steps: Being used as a Workstation (not gaming) and get the notification several times throughout the day. Always with the following in event viewer

Network link is disconnected."

I have updated to the latest driver NIC driver from ASUS website and still get the same issue. I have disabled EEE on the adapter and will monitor and see if that resolves it. If you need more info from me feel free to DM (@scoopz) or email me. 

0 Kudos