Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4899 Discussions

Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V connection drop for a few seconds

LP31
Novice

Hello,

Im on Windows 11 64, up to date, with all applications/drivers/firmware up to date.

I have an Asus ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO with onboard Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V but my card loose connection very often (like 8-10 times per hour). Its horrible, can't play games etc ...

There is a warning (id 27) in the event manager:

"Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link is disconnected."

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="e2fnexpress" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="32772">27</EventID> 
  <Version>0</Version> 
  <Level>3</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-01-15T10:30:14.4341348Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>6810</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="164" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Computer>PB31</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data /> 
  <Data>Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V</Data> 
  <Binary>0000000002002800000000001B000480000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

then 5-6 seconds later there is a information with id 32 in the event manager:

"Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I226-V
Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex."

Tested with:

- last version 2.1.2.3 => problem

- version 2.1.1.7 => problem

- version 1.1.3.28 => problem

There is no version working!

The cable, the modem etc don't have problem, i have tested with others computers => no problem.

So it seem that the Intel(R) Ethernet Contoller I226-V got a problem.

I dont have found a new firmware? normal?

Seems the same error as https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-R-Ethernet-Contoller-I226-V-connection-drop/m-p/1439558/thread-id/31538

Please help! @Mike_Intel 

52 Replies
TrevrSmth
Novice
0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello LP31,

We don't have the detailed instructions because it would require you to reach out to OEM. 

However, Could you please share with us ASUS ticket number and we could try checking with the Engineering for more details.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Scoopz
Novice

@Irwan_Intel - here you go ASUS Service No=E23070045988-0003. 

What needs to happen now:

1. Intel contact ASUS and explain the situation.

2. Intel revert back on this forum to confirm they have contacted ASUS. Please ask ASUS to respond to this thread.

3. ASUS contact affected customers with simple, easy to follow guidance on where to find the necessary drivers and how to install them.

AY1
Employee

Hello.

1. Done

2. Intel has informed ASUS about your ticket. However, we cannot force ASUS to respond to this thread unless they choose to do so. This is a public forum, and anyone can speak if they wish. Intel has been making every effort to connect you with ASUS. If you are not satisfied with the support provided by ASUS, please escalate the matter to the support manager of ASUS in your region.

3. ASUS decides on the best approach to support their customers. Intel has been making every effort to connect you with ASUS. If you are not satisfied with the support provided by ASUS, please escalate the matter to the support manager of ASUS in your region.

Thank you.

Aiman

Gonzalo23
Beginner

Windows 11, ASUS TUF GAMING Z790 WIFI PLUS

2.1.3.3 driver i226-v

VIMIN Switch 2.5 / 10G not managed to an ASUS 7800 router which is connected to a O2 bridged router.

Experiencing the same annoying problem as you all.

Configured in advanced options of the ehetrnet card (Windows key + X -> devices->netowrk controllers->226i-v, right button, properties) almost all in disabled in the advanced options: 

pattern

magick packet

sleep shutdown

flow control (yes, this one included)

All offloadings (ARP, NS, UDP, TCP, etc)

EEE

Jumbo (disabled by default)

Magic packet S5

And configured the 2.5 forced.

Now, in the bottom right corner of windows, in the network icon, mouse right button->network configurationadvance network configuration->ethernet->more options: edit

Disabled: multiplex, LLDP, QoS, IPv6,topology,E/S controller.

So far, so good, working at 2.5Gb without any outtage.

0 Kudos
Gonzalo23
Beginner

Nope, that last changes didn't work...

Now I'm testing the last driver (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=i226) which does not work with 2.5 but it's lasting without issues with 1Gb for hours now.

0 Kudos
Beto
Beginner

I usually install drivers directly from Intel, not from mb manufacturers because they are usually more updated and work too, the chip is the same.
I even have the Intel sw updater installed to check directly with them, and Windows Update also has new drivers "soon". So don't wait for Asus to update the drivers.

0 Kudos
Gonzalo23
Beginner

@intel 

I keep having problems, it negotiates to 100Mb, even though it's forced to 1Gb (not 2.5Gb which should be the one to use in my configuration, but it seems I paid a fortune for a notherboard with sheer **bleep** intel eth).

I've read dozens of web pages, forums, solutions and none of them works. It keeps failing, nor the 2.1.3.3 (ASUS), nor the 2.1.3.15 (intel), no matter if I configure the EEE off, offloading, patterns, whatever (the best is that I can not configure the buffers, even the most f**** stupi**** cards have that option).

This has been going around for more than 1.5 years, and you have not provided a working solution, for premium motherboards.

I'm returning my botherboard Z790 and the i9 processor and changing to AMD.

Go f*** youselves.

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We recommend reaching out directly to Asus for further assistance, as our engineers have diligently communicated your concerns to them. If you find the support from Asus unsatisfactory, we encourage you to escalate the matter to the support manager of ASUS in your region.

This thread will be marked as closed, and it will no longer be monitored. For any new concerns, please open a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Scoopz
Novice

Thanks for your help Intel, it's a pity ASUS haven't been has helpful as you guys. Have a good christmas.

0 Kudos
Simkin
Beginner

New drivers out for i225-V and i226-V

Drivers - I225/I226 - Windows 11 : 2.1.4.2 WHQL [03/10/2023]
Drivers - I225/I226 - Windows 10 : 1.1.4.42 WHQL [29/06/2023]

One user has mentioned that the disconnect issue is gone, atleast on the 2.1.4.2 Windows 11 driver.

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/downloads-for-motherboards/drivers-intel-ethernet-wifi-bluetooth/m-p/878985

0 Kudos