Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Intel (R) I211 Gigabit Network unstable connection

Vladeno
Beginner

Hello, I have Intel (R) I211 network controller, and sometimes it just "lags" or chokes. I have the latest updates and all. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please see below information for the feedback from our higher level and let us know if it helped fixing the issue.

Based on SSU logs provided, the Receive Buffers is 256 while Transmit Buffers is 512. Can you try changing both buffers to 1024 or 2048 in adapter settings and check if it will improve the connection?

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issue with your I211 controller. For us to proceed checking your query, please share the following information.

1. Exact issue description. Do you see any error on Intel (R) I211 network controller? Can you please elaborate when you mentioned "lags" or chokes?

2. How often does the issue occurs? 

3. Any specific program running when the issue occurs?

4. When was the issue first encountered? Is it on first integration? If no, for how long does your Intel (R) I211 network controller worked fine?

5. Is there any software or hardware changes prior to the issue?

6. Any troubleshooting steps done to help in fixing the issue?

7. Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. Kindly refer to the steps below.

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/ethernet-products.html

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

1. So, from time to time the driver crashes and disconnects me from the internet (The globe icon comes up). Thes after like 3-4 sec comes back up and works normally. After diagnostics there is one error, the DNS is not responding but the device is configured correctly. The lags and chokes are when gaming or on VOIP. I play a game and suddenly everything stops and starts after 4 to 5 sec.

2. It happens like every hour maybe, it's more stable now that I disabled Secure Boot and enabled CMS.

3. No, it happens when I watch yt or game or call on discord.

4. I just got this computer so.. I cant tell

5. No I didn't change anything, just updated the drivers to 26.3  from the Intel website.

6. As I mentioned I disabled Secure Boot and UEFI. I saw it on one post. And I also disabled any offloading on the card.

I'll attach an SSU scan.

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

Its crashing like 3 times an hour

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for the effort in sending the requested information. 

Please allow us to further check on this issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Please see below details for the update regarding your request.

1. Based on the SSU logs, you are currently using driver version 12.18.12.1 from Intel. With this, can you confirm if you already tried driver from your manufacturer, Asus and do you still encounter the same problem?

Please be informed that the software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. However, Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel highly recommends that you also check with your OEM and use the software provided via your system manufacturer.

2. Have you tried using a different cable to further isolate the issue? 

3. Have you tried testing the connection using wireless and check if you will still encounter the disconnection issue?

4. Did you test the connection on different switch or another port from the switch. 

5. Please ensure that Speed & Duplex settings on Advanced tab property of the Ethernet Controller is set to Auto Negotiation. Forcing link can result in a speed-duplex mismatch. This is common when one device is set to forced and its link partner is set as Auto-Negotiate.

6. Disable 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' on advanced properties of the Ethernet Controller

7. Ensure that BIOS is updated to its latest version. For the specifics on BIOS update, contact the Original Equipment Manufacturers

8. Check if issue would still occur while the antivirus firewall is turned off. If it fixes the issue, this could be antivirus software related which is having an issue with the latest drivers. It is highly recommended to contact the antivirus software manufacturer for further assistance.

Awaiting to hear from you.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

Thanks for the response.

I installed the drivers from the official Asus site. Let's see if it's stable now.

I tried a different cable and port, but everything is normal on my other computer and on wifi.

Speed & Duplex is set to Auto-Negotiation, I had it like that ever since.

'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power was disabled as well.

And my BIOS is up to date, v8002.

The last thing is the firewall, I'll reply back with the results. I'll attach an SSU scan just in case.

Thanks for the help much love

0 Kudos
SabreTheMoment
Beginner

I was experiencing a very similar situation with the same Adapter. I too have gone through all the steps and the solution for the buffer did also mildly help. Here you mentioned turning off the antivirus Firewall. What I found to be the problem was a software firewall I had installed a year ago called Zone Alarm. It may help if you open task manager and check to see if any programs constantly pop back up to the top(This could be a software firewall). Or if you know you have a software firewall, try uninstalling it and restarting your PC. Hope this helps someone.

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

No, I can already tell that the issue still remains, even after all the steps you listed.

What should I do next?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for trying out the provided recommendations.

We are sorry to hear that you are still encountering the same issue. Please allow us to further check this request. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-4 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

We appreciate your patience on this matter.

Kindly check the following details and we hope you won't mind providing the additional information requested below.

1. You mentioned 'everything is normal on my other computer and on wifi', can you please clarify that you have a different system and it is not having the same issue? If yes, can you please share the motherboard and Ethernet model? Is it connected on the same router where the system having an issue was connected as well?

2. Can you try to perform clean driver installation and and use the inbox driver only? Meaning, you won't have to install driver from Intel. 

Clean Driver Installation Guide for Intel® Ethernet Connections

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

If in case clean driver installation didn't help, you may try to reinstall the latest driver from Intel site below.

Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

3. Have you tried disabling Energy Efficient Ethernet, Wake on Magic Packet, IPv6 and power saving in power management?

4. Can you share the type of cable used?

5. You may consider visiting this link and check if this would help on this issue.

Intel i211 gigabyte ethernet disconnections issues

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-i211-gigabyte-ethernet-disconnections-issues/td-p/633079

6. As we mentioned on our previous post, you are using an OEM controller. With this, we also suggest checking with your manufacturer for any known issues, and request for further assistance.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

My older PC has GA-Z68XP-UD4 mobo and Realtek LAN Driver. I clean installed the in-box driver and It was kinda stable but crashed after a while. I need some more time. I always disable the Energy Efficient Ethernet, Wake on Magic Packet, and power-saving in power management, but nothing changed. The cable I use is Cable expert SSTP CAT6A and the second I have is CAT5E FTP. I already visited the link when I first encounterd the problem. When you go to Asus crosshair VI HERO drivers on the Asus official site, the LAN drivers are the old OEM Intel drivers v22.xx. As I am writing this the in-box driver just crashed. I am desperate... If I go and buy a network card, will it solve my problem?

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

In-box drivers from windows are the most stable so far. Maybe disabling digital signing can solve this, but then I cant play games that require battle eye or easy anti cheat

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for the effort in trying out the recommendations. 

Please allow me to escalate this request to our higher level for further investigation. While this is also being escalated, we highly suggest contacting your manufacturer to check this issue as well for further assistance.

We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
intros2010tg
Novice
So, from time to time the driver crashes and disconnects me from the internet (The globe icon comes up). Thes after like 3-4 sec comes back up and works normally. After diagnostics there is one error, the DNS is not responding but the device is configured correctly. The lags and chokes are when gaming or on VOIP.

Almost the same thing, which I've been facing on VOIP connections recently. After the first time I've faced issues with VOIP services, I've started searched for a technical reason, why it was acting like that and figured out that it was all about my telephony service provider. I could find an alternative, a great company, here it is ( url: https://www.everydayvoip.uk/virtualnumbers/ ), and now it works even better, for prices which are much lower.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Please see below information for the feedback from our higher level and let us know if it helped fixing the issue.

Based on SSU logs provided, the Receive Buffers is 256 while Transmit Buffers is 512. Can you try changing both buffers to 1024 or 2048 in adapter settings and check if it will improve the connection?

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

Hello, thanks for the response.

I can tell the connection has improved, but it still crashes every once in a while.  It's not as bad as it used to be.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for the effort in trying out the recommendation. We are glad to hear that it improves your Ethernet connection.

Please allow me to re-escalate this to our higher level support and check for any other troubleshooting you can perform to completely resolve the issue. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for the patience.

We believe we have checked everything (configuration, driver update, cable isolation). It did some improvements however the issue still persist.

It is possible that this could be hardware or software related issue. Possible that a certain software or application is causing the lags and disconnection issues. We would suggest not to purchase any discrete LAN adapter yet until it has been confirmed that this is not software related. You may also try reinstalling a fresh OS (only ]if this is usable workaround for you) then install the chipset, LAN, audio and graphic drivers then test the LAN connection without any other apps installed to further isolate the issue. Firewall and antivirus programs may also interfere the connections as well. Try disabling each setting to see if any of them cause the Internet connection to stabilize. If one of them causing the unstable connection, check with program manufacturer to determine the root cause of the issue. Be advised that these firewall and antivirus programs are necessary to keep your system protected. We are only recommending this to further isolate the issue. 

We still highly recommend to contact your board manufacturer because they are still the best source of support as they might provide other recommendations or settings. Please be reminded that we already provided our best effort support however, problem still persist and other circumstances might also causing the issue hence we recommend to contact your board manufacturer.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Vladeno
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the response.

The connection is suddenly much better, I was downloading games, calling on discord, and playing games and it only crashed once when I closed the game after like 3 or 4 hours. The antivirus or firewall is not doing anything with the stability. But, I think my switch is the problem, just a guess. When I was connecter directly to the radio on the roof it never crashed or I was lucky? Anyway, now it's really stable. Changing the buffers to 2048 helped a lot. When something happens I'll just go and check the switch or configure him and look for other problems.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Vladeno,

Thank you for the update.

We are glad to hear that the connection was much better than before. Since you also suspect that this could be a switch issue, we highly suggest to check this as well with your switch manufacturer to further isolate the issue. 

Please also let us know if there is any other assistance needed so we can further check on it. If none, kindly advise if you're okay to proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos