Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4898 Discussions

Intel X710-DA2 Finisar Base-T SFP modules compatibility?

JStef3
Beginner

Hello,

According to Intel® Ethernet Controller X710/

XXV710/XL710 Feature Support

Matrix (Revision 3.4 November 2019 332191-024,

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/xl710-ethernet-controller-feature-matrix.pdf ):

"Table 2. Supported Media Types for X710/XL710

SFP 1GBASE-T Transceiver (single speed) (9,10)

9. Support limited to: Finisar FCLF-8521-3, Kinnex A XSFP-T-RJ12-0101-DLL, Avago ABCU-5710RZ.

10.Finisar FCLF8521P2BTL is described to be functionally equivalent to Finisar FCLF-8521-3."

So, I take it as FCLF8521P2BTL is supported on X710.

But when plugging such module into X710-DA2 (fw ver. 7.1), I am getting "Rx/Tx is disabled on this device because an unsupported SFP module type was detected."

Tested with Ubuntu 18.04, driver 2.1.14k and 2.10.19.30, also with ESXi 6.7 U3

So, what about FCLF8521P2BTL support, keeping in mind that FCLF-8521-3 is, as far as I know, out of production?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello JStef3,

Upon further checking the provided picture, we found several inconsistencies such as no YottaMark sticker and mismatched manufacture date on the labels. Because of this, I am sorry to inform you that we're not able to confirm if the adapter is from Intel. This could be the reason that it recognizes the unsupported module.

Here are some of the links that can also help you check the cards.

YottaMark sticker:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Product label description:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007060/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

If you have questions, please let us know. If there is no update form you, I will make another follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello JStef3,

I just want to make a follow up on the information that we requested.

Please send the pictures as soon as you have them for us to check.

If you have questions, please let us know. If there is no update form you, I will make another follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
JStef3
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry for delay, had to arrange an unplanned maintenance window for server with working X710DA4.

Requested pictures are in the attached .zip archive

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JStef3,

Thank you for the update. I will forward these pictures for us to further check he issue.

Please give us 3 to 4 working days to update you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JStef3,

Upon further checking the provided picture, we found several inconsistencies such as no YottaMark sticker and mismatched manufacture date on the labels. Because of this, I am sorry to inform you that we're not able to confirm if the adapter is from Intel. This could be the reason that it recognizes the unsupported module.

Here are some of the links that can also help you check the cards.

YottaMark sticker:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007074/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Product label description:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007060/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
JStef3
Beginner

Wow. What a turn. Hm-m-m... I have noticed that there are no Yottamark label, but I don't think it is mandatory.

Could it be some OEM card, manufactured by Intel for some other brand? Is it possible to figure out to which one?

Or this is kind of counterfeit card, manufactured by hell knows who and hell knows where?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JStef3,

That is hard to tell. however since the markings that we need for us to check if the card is an Intel retail card is not present on the card. The best way to track it right now is to check with your reseller.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
JStef3
Beginner

Well, it looks like counterfeit business of NICs is flourishing, i.e:

https://www.servethehome.com/identifying-risky-counterfeit-intel-gigabit-ct-network-adapters/

And yes, I found that these DA4 cards were ordered from Amazon. So, I bet that our DA4 are counterfeit. :/

Anyway, thank you very much for your help in discovering this unpleasant fact.

I think, we have to implement some verification procedures for equipment we intend to purchase.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello JStef3,

Thank you for those suggestions, we will take these suggestions and think of ways to improve verification process. For now, please take note of the links that we provided to check if your NIC's are authentic or you may ask us again.

Do you still have questions, clarifications or suggestions? Please let us know. I will make another follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
JStef3
Beginner

No, I have no more questions, root cause is found and problem is solved. Thanks again for your help. :)

0 Kudos