Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5097 Discussions

Intel X710 SFP+ DA cables connection blocked

HardyM
Beginner

Hi.

We have Dell R740xd server running ESXi 7.0 Update 3 Build-19193900 (A02)

Installed is an Intel X710 dual port SFP+ adapter, connected to Alcatel Lucent OS6860-P48 switches with 2 x SFP+ Direct Attach cables.

The X710 card (according to the Dell iDrac) is reporting that there are unsupported SFPs installed.

Firmware for this card is 20.0.17

According to the Intel doc "332191_X710-XXV710-XL710 Feature Summary_rev5_1", from what I can read, the DA cables should be supported.

Can anyone shed some light on this please ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello HardyM,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We would like to confirm first if the Intel X710 that you are using is a discreet network adapter or an embedded network controller from your server board? 

If you are using a discreet network adapter please provide us a picture of the markings both front and back.

Also can we ask if you are having any network connection issues or is it just giving you report that there are unsupported SFP's installed?

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
HardyM
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid.

Sorry - I can't get photos at short notice - the server is in my office in another country.  Here's what I do have.

It was ordered from Dell, in a Dell server supplied June 2021.

Dell's option was 540-BBHP "Intel X710 Dual Port 10GbE Direct Attach SFP+ Adapter, PCIe Full Height"

HardyM_0-1661831472319.png

And this from Dell's config page

HardyM_1-1661831637173.png

If you still need photos then I'll have to organise local support to come in.

No problems with the other card - primary X550 daughterboard LAN card, but the 10G on these are 10GBase-T and I don't have matching SFPs or Ports on the switch.

I suspect that the SFP DA cables are active types, but can't confirm this. 

I should also add this.

The server iDrac reports this from the inventory

Transceiver Inventory

Vendor Name FOXCONN

Part Number   2GSPWWX-NVG-EF

Serial Number C1610170434

Revision          A

Device Identifier          SFP/SFP+/SFP28

Regards

HardyM

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello HardyM,

Thank you for advising however we are not yet able to completely determine if you are using a discreet network adapter or an embedded controller for your set up, can we ask for you to provide us your SSU log file instead so that we can have a look at your system?

Please follow the steps below to generate your SSU:

1. Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

*Windows 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600

*Linux

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html?

2. Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Note: Please put a tick on "Everything" when scanning the log 

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
HardyM
Beginner

Dear Zigfreid

Sorry - can't run these tools, we have ESXi on this host.  And to boot another OS means downtime +++, not to mention that I have no local IT staff there.

There are 2 LAN cards ordered on the original PO to Dell.

2 port X710 (dual SFP+ ports)  and 4 port X550 (2 x 10GBase-T and 2 x 1GBase-T)

On the purchase order its like this

HardyM_0-1661922641586.png

In iDrac its like this

HardyM_1-1661922681627.png

HardyM_2-1661922753459.pngHardyM_3-1661922794190.png

HardyM_5-1661922942027.png

HardyM_4-1661922911108.png

On the rear of the server

HardyM_6-1661923124706.png

All 6 slots are visible in ESX also but I dont think it adds much.

To me, I dont know how there is any doubt that the 2 port X710 is the add-in card.

But surely you can track the MAC addr and check this against Intel manufacturing records too ?

HardyM_7-1661923346704.png

HardyM_8-1661923358025.png

I hope that's sufficient.

Regards

Hardy

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello HardyM,

Thank you for responding and advising, we will try to check on the information that you have provided us and see if we can already provide some recommendations. Please provide us some time to have this check. Is it okay of we can provide you an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise us instead. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello HardyM,

After further validation, we have confirmed that you are using a DELL OEM Network Interface X710 adapter. As per checking also on the firmware that you have been using, we do not use any firmware version 20.0.17 on our Intel Ethernet Network Adapter X710, this is a customized firmware solely for Dell ethernet adapters.

Dell OEM adapters may have features that are different from Intel retail adapters and as much as we want to further assist you our support is limited because this is not an Intel Ethernet Adapter. We would highly recommend to get in touch with Dell for further support since they have customized firmware's and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you would not lose features or customizations of the Ethernet controller. 

You can also refer on Dell's support site on the links below:

Intel NIC Family Version 20.0.0 Firmware for X710, XXV710, and XL710 adapters

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=dk4g2

Contact Technical Support | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/incidents-online/en-us/contactus/product/poweredge-r740xd

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further. If none, please advise us if we can close the thread.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello HardyM,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. We are just checking and hoping that you are now talking to OEM Dell for further assistance.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello HardyM,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. I am just checking and hoping that you are now talking to OEM Dell for further assistance since they are the best team who can help you with the issue. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
HardyM
Beginner

Yes sorry, been busy

Dell will visit the office today and exchange the card as the first step in their diagnostics.

Thanks for your help, ok to close.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello HardyM,

Thank you for the update and we are glad that you are now talking to Dell with the issue. Since they are now replacing the unit, we need to close this case.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos