Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

[Intel XL710 ]Change MAC address of SR-IOV Virtual Function inside VM [spoofchk off,trust on]

kfern3
Beginner

I have RHEL 7.4 with Intel i40e drivers with SRIOV enabled Intel XL710  NIC on host and Centos 7.5 as guest with i40evf driver.

When i try to change MAC address of VF from the VM i get Operation not Permitted Error.

ip l set dev ens5 address 00:00:5E:00:01:0E

RTNETLINK answers: Operation not permitted

From PF:

vf 26 MAC 02:0d:6d:f4:ae:ac, vlan 27, spoof checking off, link-state auto, trust on

Driver Version

VM

ethtool -i ens5

driver: i40evf

version: 3.0.1-k

Host

driver: i40e

version: 1.6.27-k

firmware-version: 6.00 0x80003546 18.3.6

My VM is running a multicast application and it needs to change its MAC to VRRP MAC.Is there a way to allow VM to change its MAC

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Caguicla_Intel
Hello kfern3, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. We will check on you query and we will update you as soon as possible. Is it possible if you can provide the markings from the product label, so we can confirm if this is an Intel Retail version of the adapter. If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello kfern3, Thank you for waiting on our update. May we know if you tried the command listed on page 15 through this link? https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technology-briefs/xl710-sr-iov-config-guide-gbe-linux-brief.pdf If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello kfern3, Please let us know if you tried to change the VF MAC address using the link that we provided. If you have other questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello kfern3, Please let us know if you were able to change the VF MAC address. If you need other assistance, please let us know. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos