Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

Intel i225V Onboard Z490 Slow download speeds?

kiz2694
Novice

Hi everyone, 

I just recently built a new PC using an ASUS Z490 Gaming F as my motherboard. The onboard NIC is a Intel i225V 2.5GB. I am experiencing strange throttling in Steam and general Internet speed tests. I have a 500mbps fibre connection and before on my much older pc I would get around 480mbps on pretty much every speed test available, now it's hovering around 150-250mbps. Steam would also download around 48MBps, now it's sticking around 24MBps. 

I have updated the firmware and drivers to newest available. 

As a test, I also installed a cheap TP-Link Nic and all my issues have been resolved using this. So it appears to be an issue with the Intel Nic IMO. Has anyone come across this issue or at least similar? I would rather not have a cheap TP link NIC if my onboard NIC is meant to operate better than this. 

Thanks in advance. Please ask any questions that may help to lead to an answer.  

Kind regards

71 Replies
PhillipW
Beginner

I'm also using a ROG Strix z490g with wi-fi.  I just bought this motherboard a few days ago. With my Asus Maximus VI Impact I get consistent 900-950 up and down with my gigabit fiber.  With the z490g I'm hitting 200 down and 300 up. 

I've tried every combo suggested in this forum and nothing has worked.  I gave up and put in a gigabit card.  All is good now.

I'm a bit let down over this particular chip because I've had such good luck in the past.  $250 motherboard with a crippled network chip fixed with a $20 NIC and the loss of a valuable PCI slot. 

Anyhow...I'll keep my eyes peeled on whether this bug is fixed or not. 

Phil

0 Kudos
xz_LeStat_zx
Beginner

I had the same issues and these setting resolved it for me:

Energy efficient ethernet Off
Interrupt Moderation Rate Low
Receive buffers 1024
Transmit Buffers 1024

0 Kudos
ZachTheGamer
Beginner

@kiz2694 

I Have Fixed the issue on my brother in laws new PC. in my brothers case it was not the board at all. its a setting. Step one go to Device manager, Step two go to network adapters. (Find The one with ethernet in the name) Step 3 Right click and click on Properties. Step four select advanced and find Energy Efficient Ethernet and turn that option off. Step 5 find Speed and Duplex and change it from auto negotiation to 1.0 Gbps Full duplex. and voila. Restart your pc after clicking ok. Good luck hope this works for anyone trying to find the fix!!

This worked for my brother in laws pc 

His specs

Asus Prime Z490 Prime-A    

Intel core I9 10850k 

RTX 3070 

32 GBs of ddr4 3400mhz Corsair pro RGB ram\

And windows 10 Home on a 1tb samsung m.2 ssd

Drew1
Beginner

Hello,

If you haven't already, try disabling "GameFirst" if it is installed on your system. 

0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice
0 Kudos
6kbyte
Novice

daily push for visibility

0 Kudos
FranzJeger
New Contributor I
I’m in shock that Intel still keeps selling faulty tech like this utter trash network adapter. New z690 board and same garbage problem persist, Intel has zero QA!
0 Kudos
Sturmx
Beginner

I have a MSI Z690 Edge Wifi DDR4 with this NIC in it and have had a TON of latency problems. Nearly identical problems to my old Z370 that had a 1219V... Luckily in that old one it had dual NICs and the 1211.. This one does not. Set my network settings to what woodrobotics mentioned, hopefully that fixes it. Have you found any fix for yours?

0 Kudos
Keysy666
Beginner

Hi,

I have a MSI z690 Carbon motherboard. 350mb connection, connects via ethernet at 92mb.

Uninstalling then re installing drivers gets it to connect at full speed, only for it to drop off to 90mb again. WiFi is working at full speed.

Any actual fix for this before I send the motherboard back?

0 Kudos