Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Jumbo frames not working after update to igb driver version 5.3.5.18.

PChav3
Beginner

Earlier we were using igb driver version 5.1.2 in our product. With this version jumbo frames (more than 1500 MTU) was working at many installations. Recently igb driver updated to 5.3.5.18 and these installations with jumbo frames stopped working. Lowering MTU to 1500 works very well but this is adding delay in communication.

In update kernel.org kernel 4.18.18 is used.

Please provide some pointers to debug or resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello PChav3,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Please provide the following details for us to check on your query:

1.) What is the model of your network card?

2.) You mentioned that jumbo frames not working, Kindly clarify if you are referring if there is packet loss or no network connection?

3.) Please share if you have tried latest igb driver version 5.3.5.36 at 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/13663/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-82575-6-82580-I350-and-I210-211-Based-Gigabit-Network-Connections-for-Linux-

4.) Please provide the System Support Utility log of your system. This will allow us to check your Adapter details and configuration. This would also help us identify if you are using an OEM or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter. Kindly refer to the steps below.

a- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91600/Intel-System-Support-Utility

b- Open SSU.exe

c- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

d- When finished scanning, click "Next".

e- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Looking forward to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
PChav3
Beginner

Network card model

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)

is packet loss or no network connection?

It is no network connection.

Below are the observations taken on test setup where source and destination hosts are connected directly using ethernet cable.

Ping test (ping 192.168.3.12 -Mdo -s 2000 -I eth1) from this machine is also not working. It gets 100% packet loss. tcpdump captured on source host showed ICMP echo request packets sent from the eth1 to the destination host and captures at destination host showed packets reached to destination host and it sent the reply. But reply does not read by source. Source and destination hosts are connected directly using ethernet cable.

In production environment ssh access does not gets completed as box sends the packet with frame length 1562 for initialising key exchange.

have tried latest igb driver version 5.3.5.36

No

System Support Utility log

Executed ssu.sh on the box. Pasting the information which can be shared in context of this issue below. Please bear with me on this and let me know if you need any more specific information and I will share that.

Networking -

- "Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)" Supports auto-negotiation:"Yes" Advertised auto-negotiation:"Yes" Auto-negotiation:"on" Availability:"eth1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 9000" Capabilities:"[40] Power Management version 3" Capabilities:"[50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable+ 64bit+" Capabilities:"[70] MSI-X: Enable+ Count=10 Masked-" Capabilities:"[a0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00" Capabilities:"[100] Advanced Error Reporting" Capabilities:"[140] Device Serial Number 0c-c4-7a-ff-ff-55-e4-fc" Capabilities:"[150] Alternative Routing-ID Interpretation (ARI)" Capabilities:"[160] Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV)" Capabilities:"[1a0] Transaction Processing Hints" Capabilities:"[1d0] Access Control Services" Caption:"Not Available" Default IP Gateway:"Not Available" DHCP Enabled:"Yes" DHCP Lease Expires:"Not Available" DHCP Lease Obtained:"Not Available" DHCP Server:"Not Available" Driver:"igb" Driver Path:"" Driver Provider:"" Driver Version:"" Duplex:"Full" Firmware Version:"1.61, 0x8000090e" Interface:"eth1" I/O Ports:"Not Available" IP Address:"192.168.3.13" IP Subnet:"255.255.255.0" MAC Address:"0c:c4:7a:55:e4:fd" Location:"02:00.1" Manufacturer:"Intel Corporation" Net Connection ID:"Not Available" Port:"Twisted Pair" Power Management:"Supports Wake-on: d" Power Management:"Wake-on: d" Speed:"1000Mb/s" Supported link modes:"10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full, 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full, 1000baseT/Full" Advertised link modes:"10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full, 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full, 1000baseT/Full" Partner advertised link modes:"Not Available"

Operating System -

Boot Device:"/dev/sda6" Last Reset:"up 1:18" Locale:""C"" OS Manufacturer:"CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core) " OS Name:"CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core) " Page File:"/dev/sda2" Page File Space (Available):"31999996" Page File Space (Used):"0" Physical Memory (Available):"79953 MB" Physical Memory (Installed):"96749 MB" Physical Memory (Total):"127999 MB" Version:"4.18.18 GNU/Linux" Virtual Memory (Available):"31999996" Virtual Memory (Total):"99071148"

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello PChav3,

Thank you for providing the requested information.

While we are checking on this, is it possible to share the exact model of the Network Card by checking the markings on the white sticker of the adapter? 

You may refer to the link below on how Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using Serial Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward ti your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello PChav3,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Kindly check the following details for us to further assist you.

1.) Please share if you have tried increasing the application's socket buffer

size that is mentioned on the link below? Please check this link and scroll down to Performance Degradation with Jumbo Frames.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/13663/eng/readme.txt

2.) Kindly share the model of the switch you are using. We want to double check if the issue you encountered is not affected on a known issue for Jumbo Frames on Foundry BigIron 8000 switch. 

3.) Please let us know if you have tried enabling flow control on the NIC and check if there is any difference.

4.) You may try our latest driver and check if this would be of help on the issue.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/13663/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-82575-6-82580-I350-and-I210-211-Based-Gigabit-Network-Connections-for-Linux-

5.) We would also like to follow up the exact model of the Network Card by checking the markings on the white sticker of the adapter. 

You may refer to the link below on how Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using Serial Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello PChav3,

We'd like to check if you were able to check our recommendations from above post. Kindly give us an update on this matter.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
PChav3
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Sorry for late reply on this thread.

With the igb driver version 5.3.5.36 ping test with jumbo frames are successful in the lab environment. I am going to do tryouts on production environment tomorrow.

I did not get the exact model of the Network Card by checking the markings on the white sticker of the adapter as it will involve opening of the device which I am not authorised to do. I have requested the information from the IT team and awaiting their response.

I will update the results of test in production and network card details in couple of days.

Thank You,

Prasad

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello PChav3,

Thank you for the update.

We will wait for your next update after trying tryouts on production environment and also the markings of the NIC.

If you have questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Prasad,

We'd like to check if you were able to try the latest igb driver on your production environment. Kindly share the results after trying it out.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Prasad,

Please be informed that we will now close this inquiry since we haven't receive any response on our previous follow up. If you have any other concern or further assistance needed, kindly post a new question.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos