Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5081 Discussions

LR LINK Intel XL710 QDA2 ethernet adapter becomes inaccessible after nvmupdate64e

Reha
Novice

Hello,

I have a XL710 QDA2 from LR Link , at first i have tried to disable the Bootagent functionality of the nic with bootutil64e but unfortunately bootutil can't access the nic. The main reason doing that is when i plug this NIC in a desktop computer it prevents normal boot of the Linux Desktop so i thought to disable the bootagent.

After having unsuccessful bootutil attempt i decided to make firmware update.  But this time nvmupdate aborted and the the NIC becomes inaccessible.

The NIC is from LR Link

SN is : LRL710L2506344

How can i make it work again ?

Thanks 

Best Regards

Reha  

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Reha
Novice

I have just noticed that the nvmupdate version that i used was  1.33.15.1 . Its not the latest one.

I have recently tried the 1.39.5.5 version of nvmupdate  but the result is the same . The status of the NIC is "Access Error"

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice
Am I in a hopeless situation? Is there anyone who can comment on this situation? I'm sure Intel engineers can comment on this

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request. 

1. Are you installing the Intel XL710 QDA2 for the first time or this card has been working fine on a different setup?

2. Please share where the NVM update package was downloaded. 

3. For Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM)version of Ethernet adapters, we'd like to set your expectation that we have a limited support it would be best if you can also get in touch with manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. The software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM card, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software they provide so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter.

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

Thank you for responding my case,

I purchased the NIC Intel XL710 QDA2 on may this year. We have used it in a desktop computer with different Linux drivers without any problem until recently.  Lately we have changed to motherboard of this desktop but unfortunately XL710 blocked the boot process of this desktop. When we plug it out desktop can normally boot, but when plug, the desktop hangs on boot time.  So considering that the Bootagent software of XL710 prevents the boot process i thought to cancel it by using bootutil64e , but bootutil64e couldn't access the NIC. After that i decided to make firmaware update by using nvmupdate utility a week before .  And now the NIC is unseen by the Linux OS. Only lspci command shows that there is XL710 NIC  in a PCIe bus , not more. 

Honestly i dont remember very well from where i downloaded the 700Series_NVMUpdatePackage_v7_00_Linux.tar.gz package. But i am sure it was an Intel site . This Zip file 50.1 MB .

Thanks Again

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

You're welcome. 

1. Have you confirmed that the XL710 is validated/compatible with your newly changed motherboard?

2. Have you tried installing the card back on the original motherboard where it worked? Is it still working fine?

3. We tried looking for LR link support site but it looks like their site isn't working. Do you have contact with their support wherein you can raise this issue? As much as we want to assist you, since you are using an OEM unit, we have a limited support and would be best if you can get in touch with manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers, firmware and software to enable or alter features on your card. The software drivers linked from our page are generic versions, and can be used for general purposes. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM card, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software they provide so you don’t lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

I see your point . I need to give some more details about our issue.

Once we have changed the motherboard of the Desktop computer and see that XL710 is not working on this , we have decided to give up trying XL710 and we have installed an old NIC from Mellanox . Because we needed to continue the production environment. Mellanox Connectx-3 worked normally in the same PCIe slot but it has 2x10Gbit/sec ports and not of course  comparable with XL710.

Mean time  we have installed XL710 on an old Dell Poweredge Server.  Thinking to disable the Bootagent feature by using the Dell Server.  XL710 was working fine on this Dell server before nvmupdate process.

We couldnt reach LRlink support as well.   China sites are too slow or inaccessible most of the times unfortunately.

Thanks Again

Regards

Reha

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha, 

Just to confirm, does this mean that the XL710 was tested on 2 different motherboards?

It is working fine on a Dell Poweredge Server prior to NVM update and is now unusable due to nvmupdate that was aborted and has a status of Access Error?

Can you also share where did you purchased the card?

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Dear Crisselle,

Yes , XL710 was working fine on Asus Z690 motherboard ( on pcie 4.0 slot ) and also on Dell Server prior to NVM update.

As far as i remember we have purchased the  XL710 NIC from :

https://www.hepsiburada.com/intel-xl710-qda2-dual-2-port-40gbe-pci-e-x8-qsfp-ethernet-kart-p-HBCV00000XD9U6?magaza=Maya%20Bilgisayar

I think the delivering turkish company is Maya Bilgisayar  .

On the other hand somehow i could access to Lr Link site and i could send an e-mail to service@lr-link.com hoping a solution from Lr Link. I will see whether they are responsive like you.

Thanks

Regards

Reha

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

I am sorry the link was not correct .

We have purchased the following product.

https://www.hepsiburada.com/lr-link-intel-xl710-qda2-40g-dual-qsfp-ethernet-karti-2-port-pm-HB00000NUFO9

The delivering company is still Maya Bilgisayar.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

Appreciate your swift response. 

Can you confirm the current status of the Ethernet card? Can you still use it on the Asus Z690 motherboard ( on pcie 4.0 slot ) or Dell Server? Is it still working or not working at all? Will you be able to share screenshot of the issue encountered?

Additionally, please share the current driver version of your XL710 QDA2.

We will also wait for your update once you heard from Lr Link support. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

The card is now plugged in the Dell Server and its not working in any computer, neither Dell Server nor Asus Z690. 

You can only see the existence of the card by   lspci  command . You can see it in the PCIe bus 65:00 from the attached pictures. 

There is a builtin mezzanine ethernet adapter containing 2x i350 + 2x X710 in the Dell server beside the XL710 NIC card.

The driver version of i40e is 2.20.12 

I have attached  the pictures taken from Dell server console.

Thanks

Regards

Reha

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Hello Again,

I have taken this last picture while booting. This picture shows clearly the Firmware problem i guess.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

Thank you for the reply. 

Please allow us to try to further check this matter with our engineers. We'd like to set your expectation as well that we have a limited support and end up referring you back to LR link due to OEM unit. But rest assured that we will consult this request to our engineers and check for recommendations. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Please expect an update no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Thank you Chrisselle, 

If i have a response from Lr Link support i will share from here.

Many thanks for your helping efforts.

Best Regards

Reha

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

You're welcome. 

We will wait for your update once you heard from Lr Link support.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. Please see below feedback from our higher level support.

Can you share the exact Operating System and version you used?

Please be informed that we are only giving our best effort support as we do not provide support for third party OEM adapters. Third party manufacturers already have customized firmware and drivers which is tailored for your adapter. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you do not lose features or customizations of the Ethernet adapter. 

LR link support site

https://www.lr-link.com/contactus.html

Awaiting to your reply. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

The OS version is Linux Debian 11.3 ( Bullseye )

Kernel version is 5.10.0.-18

Thanks

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

Thank you for the swift reply. 

Please allow us to re-escalate this request to our engineers. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Reha,

Thank you for your kind patience. 

Please see below feedback from our higher level support.

Unfortunately, we did not see any information whether you updated the driver before running the nvmupdate. The NVM update instructions recommend to update drivers first.

Alternately, you could also try updating the NVM in EFI with the EFI version of the tool, that would take the driver and OS out of the equation.

Also, checking again the troubleshooting isolation steps done on which the adapter does not work anymore on different systems (Dell Poweredge server, Asus motherboard) after the NVM update, this could already be a Firmware corruption issue on which it needs replacement. 

Please be reminded that this is only our best effort recommendations as you really need to contact the LR link support. We do apologize as we do not provide assistance on third party adapters to avoid further issues. Third party manufacturers have different troubleshooting procedure, Firmware and software tailored for their adapters.

Please be advised that we will now close this request and we apologize again as we may not be able to provide full assistance. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for taking the time in reading this message and may you have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Reha
Novice

Hello Crisselle,

I will try the EFI version .

The latest driver was loaded after the NVM update operation. This can be a problem as you have mentioned.  

Unfortunately LR Link is only asked me where i bought the NIC card . No more help from them.

You did your best .

Thanks for helping efforts

Best Regards

Reha

0 Kudos