Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4859 Discussions

Latest 1.12.16 ixl driver shows "unknown" for link rate when using 2.5/5Gbps modes (X710-T2L)

Abhi
New Contributor I

The 1.12.16 ixl driver shows "unknown" for link rate when using 2.5/5Gbps modes (X710-T2L on Firmware 8.2 and also tested on 8.3) on FreeBSD 12.2 and a firewall distro based on it called pfSense 2.5 , the modes still work fine however with no affect on functionality. The prior 1.12.13 from Jan 2021, does not have this issue and link rates shows up normally. I'm hoping Intel corrects this bug.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Good day!

Please see below information for the update form our engineering team.

This appears to be an output error that does not impact the function/speed or overall operation of the device. This has been shared with the FreeBSD driver dev team and should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Feel free to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi, 

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your request. Once we have the information below, we will escalate this to our engineers.

1. Where was the driver downloaded from? Please share the link with us. 

2. Just to confirm, issue only occurs using driver version 1.12.16 regardless of Firmware version used.

3. Just to clarify, the link rate shows "unknown" for version 1.12.16 ixl driver and doesn't affect the functionality and performance?

Looking forward to your reply.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I
Hello Chriselle,

1. I downloaded the driver directly from your site clicking through the download section and finally getting to the downloads under X710-T2L heading.

2. Yes that is correct having tried on firmware version 8.30 and the one prior to it. 1.12.13 is fine.

3. Yes that is correct there is no issue with functionality, just a status issue.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi, 

Good day!

This is just a follow up for the information requested so we can proceed checking your query. In case you have questions and clarifications on this matter, feel free to let us know.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi, 

Thank you for the reply.

We hope you won't mind sharing the additional information below that would help in further investigating the issue. 

1. Will you be able to provide screenshot where the issue "unknown" for link rate when using 2.5/5Gbps modes occurs?

2. Please confirm that there are no other software or hardware changes prior to the issue aside from driver update. 

3. PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. We will be sending an email for you to attach the photos of the adapter. Please be reminded not to post the photos on this thread to avoid exposing confidential information.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

I'm currently using a FreeBSD 12.2 based firewall distro pfSense 2.5, I've switched back to 1.12.13 drivers which I am using with the 8.30 firmware. I cannot switch back at the moment as that would entail a loss in internet connectivity which I can not afford at this time. I have attached a current image, in the area where it is showing "2500 Base-T" "Full Duplex", on 1.12.16, it will show "Unknown" "Full Duplex" instead. Essentially the same result if I enter the ifconfig command to display ethernet status on FreeBSD 12.2 or in pfSense. I have also attached front/back images of my card taken a while back.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi, 

Thank you for providing the requested information. 

Please allow us to investigate this issue together with our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as we heard from them but no later than 2-3 business days. Please also be informed that we will be removing the photos of the adapter posted on this thread and be reminded not to share the photos publicly (with PBA and SN) to avoid exposing confidential information.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Our engineering team would like to clarify if the "Unknown" "Full Duplex" link rate issue are both present on Multi-gig operation? We have encircled it in the picture to request for your confirmation.

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

Full Duplex is not an issue that part is correct, just the “Unknown” part for link status. It only occurs on Multigig operation (2.5/5 Gbe Modes) on 1.12.16, with 1 and 10 Gbe operation there is no issue.

On 1.12.13 as shown in the image the link status is working perfectly fine with Multi-gig modes and it actually is showing 2500 Base-T.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi, 

Appreciate your swift response and apologies for the confusion.

What we would like to confirm is 'Does the "Unknown" "Full Duplex" link rate issue appears on both WAN and LAN based from the photo shared'?

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't receive your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Abhi
New Contributor I

Yes the "Unkown" issue occurs on both LAN and WAN, basically both ports on the X710-T2L.

Edit: I finally got around to reinstalling the 1.12.16 drivers. I’ve attached a screenshots from the GUI as well as command line after entering the ifconfig command.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

We highly appreciate your effort in reinstalling 1.12.16 driver and sharing the screenshots of the issue. 

Please allow us to re-escalate this query to our engineers. We will get back to you as soon as we heard an update from them but no later than 2-3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

I hope this message finds you well!

We sincerely apologize for the delay as we are thoroughly checking on this matter. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from our engineers but not later than 2-4 business days.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Good day! 

Please be informed that this request is still escalated to our engineering level. They are still actively working on this matter. We will get back to you to give an update as soon as possible but no later than 3-5 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

How are you doing? I hope everything is great!

This is just and update to inform you that we are still checking this issue with our engineers. Rest assured that we will give you an update as soon as we heard from them but no later than 3-5 business days.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Good day!

Please see below information for the update form our engineering team.

This appears to be an output error that does not impact the function/speed or overall operation of the device. This has been shared with the FreeBSD driver dev team and should be fixed in an upcoming release.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

I hope this message finds you well!

We noticed that you already marked this thread as closed. With this, we would like to check if there is any additional assistance that you may need on this matter. If yes, feel free to let us know so we can further check on it. Otherwise, kindly confirm if we can now proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter. If yes, feel free to let us know so we can further check on it. Otherwise, kindly confirm if we can now proceed closing this request.

Awaiting to your reply.

Should there be no response from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

I hope this message find you well!

Please see below update from our engineers.

Defect has been fixed and submitted to be included in release 26.4. We are close to releasing 26.3. 26.4 might be released in 4 to 8 weeks from now. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

Good day and I hope this message finds you well!

We are sending this to inform you that 26.4 should be released in the next few weeks. 

Update:

• Issue reproduced using ixl-1.12.19 driver. Promoted to defect.
  • Fixed driver submitted to Rel 26.4 project.
  • Waiting for 26.4 Release

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Abhi,

We sincerely apologize for the delay and inconvenience that this has brought you. 

This is just an update to inform you that 26.4 is now released. Please see link below for latest FreeBSD ixl driver: ixl-1.12.24.tar.gz

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25160/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Intel-Ethernet-Controller-700-Series-under-FreeBSD-

Since you already marked this thread as closed on May 7, please be informed that we will now proceed closing this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos