Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Multi-Gig (2.5/5GBe) Support in VMware ESX 7 for the Intel X550-T1/T2

WLAN_Experts
Novice

Hello.

I have installed an Intel X550-T2 in my ESX 7 home lab and I want to connect using multi-gig to a Netgear MS510TX switch.

I can connect and get 1Gbe or connect to the 10Gbe port and get 10GBe. I can't get a link at 2.5/5Gbe.

If I plug the card into a windows machine, it links fine at 5GBe

I have used the driver that comes with ESX 7 Update 1 (Intel-ixgben_1.7.1.28-1vmw.701.0.0.16850804) and also found an updated driver on the VMware HCL (version 1.8.9.0 )

I have looked at the driver settings and can only see the options shown in the attached s/shot.

Can someone confirm the status of multi-gig support on this card with non-windows OSes? If it is not supported, when is it likely to be?

Thnaks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
WLAN_Experts
Novice

Hello.

Didn't get much help on VMware communities.

William over at virtuallyghetto was much more helpful.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2021/01/esxi-on-11th-gen-intel-nuc-panther-canyon-tiger-canyon.html#comment-64292

It appears there is no official support yet, but there is the possibility of a fling coming that will add support, at least for test and homelab environments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello WLAN_Experts,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Can you confirm if you have tried requesting assistance form VMware Support or through the VMware Communities? If yes, kindly share their findings with us. If not yet, we highly suggest raising this issue to them as technical support for VMware driver and operating system issues are provided by VMware Support or through the VMware Communities.

Kindly visit this link for Intel® Ethernet Adapters Compatibility with VMware*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005693/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

We hope to hear from you soon.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WLAN_Experts
Novice

As this is a home lab, I don't have any level of commercial support with VMware.

I can try VMware communities.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello WLAN_Experts,

Appreciate your effort in sending us an update.

Yes, please. Kindly try posting on VMware communities as they are in best position to further assist you on this request.

Feel free to let us know if you wish to keep this request open or if you have additional questions and clarifications.

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello WLAN_Experts,

Good day!

We hope that you are able to post on VMware Communities and they are able to assist you with your query. 

Please be informed that we will close this request after 3 business days if you don't have additional questions. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WLAN_Experts
Novice

Hello

Yes, posted on VMWare communities, but not getting any help there

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello WLAN_Experts,

Thank you for the reply.

We are sorry to hear that you still haven't heard any response from them.

We highly suggest making a follow up with them and let us know once they got back to you.

To give you enough time in waiting for their reply, we will follow up after 3-5 business days.

Let us know if there is any other assistance needed from Intel Ethernet team.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello WLAN_Experts,

Good day!

Please let us know if you already heard from VMWare support and advise once this request is ready for closure.

If you have additional questions or clarifications, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We'll make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't receive a reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
WLAN_Experts
Novice

Hello.

Didn't get much help on VMware communities.

William over at virtuallyghetto was much more helpful.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2021/01/esxi-on-11th-gen-intel-nuc-panther-canyon-tiger-canyon.html#comment-64292

It appears there is no official support yet, but there is the possibility of a fling coming that will add support, at least for test and homelab environments.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello WLAN_Experts,

We appreciate your effort in sharing an update. It will indeed help other users having the same query.

Please be informed that we will now close this request. Feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have a good day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos