Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4865 Discussions

Nested Virtualization

Totti
Beginner

hello everybody,

I got a nested virtualization environment where i installed vsphere, EVE-ng on top of vmware workstation. and above vsphere, there is a windows server 2016.

an eve switch is linked to vsphere through 2 links (in trunk mode) . I can ping vsphere

Untitled.png

Problem: through Vsphere i created portgroup 10 and assigned it to windows server 2016 and i could not ping it.

Reason: because my Intel NIC stripped the vlan tag (in our case vlan 10)  out of trunk links to be untagged (so no ping to vlan 10)

So i need to add all vlans to my intel NIC in one interface card (Trunk) and assign it to my vmware workstation.

Anybody has a clue to this!!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Totti,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We are sorry to hear that you are encountering issue on you configuration. For us to check your query, kindly provide the following information. 

1. Model of the Ethernet adapter used

2. Driver and firmware version of the adapter as well the link where it was downloaded from. 

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Totti
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Pleasure to hear from you.

Kindly here is what you asked for:

Model: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

Driver Version: 12.19.1.37

Firmware Version: HP N81 Ver.01.12

But to be honest i am not sure of where i downloaded it ...

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Totti,

Appreciate your swift response. 

Since you are using on board Ethernet controller, will you also be able to share the brand and model of your motherboard? This will help us identify your Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM).

We hope to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Totti
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Thanks for your fast response.

Motherboard brand: HP

Motherboard Model: 80D5

Have a good day,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Totti,

You're welcome. Thank you as well for providing the requested information. 

Please allow us to further check your query. We will get back to you as soon as possible but no later than 2-3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Totti
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

Thank you for your concern and interest.
Please take your time.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Totti,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Please see below information for the update from our engineering team. Feel free to let us know if you have questions or clarifications. 

From what we understand based on your configuration, you want to add all the VLANs to the NIC. On Server 2016 that is done through Server Manager, is that correct?

Setting up NIC Teaming for Windows Server 2012*/2012 R2*/2016*/2019*

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022706/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

The link above explains how to create a team and add VLANs to it. A team needs to be created to add multiple VLANs and a team can be created with only 1 adapter.

If this is not the case, please provide more details regarding your configuration. What are you trying to do with more detail about OS and configuration. If you have the step by step, we would highly appreciate if you can share it with us. 

Awaiting to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Totti,

Good day!

This is just a follow up to check if you have read our previous update. If yes, please confirm and provide the additional information we requested for us to continue checking on your query. 

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Should there be no reply, we will follow up after 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Totti,

How are you doing?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow up. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

May you have a good day and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos