Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

Network disconnects when using a switch

ambitionless
Novice
Hi, I have a X570-F Mainboard from Asus with an Intel I211 Ethernet Controller. Problem is that while using a switch I get constant disconnects only on my PC after 1 or 2 days. These disconnects don't stop until I fully reset my Switch. I also tried several different Switch companies. I read that changing the connection to 1 Gbit/s Duplex can help but in my case it did not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks and regards.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

I am sorry to hear that. Here is the link again and if you are logged in out community, you should be able to access the link:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/i219-V-Stability-Issues-when-Link-Speed-is-negotiated-above-10M/td-p/453868

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

I am sorry to hear that. For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. When did you start having this issue?
  2. What is your OS?
  3. Are you having this issue if you are on a different OS or safe mode just to isolate if the cause of the issue.
  4. Can you share the link of the latest driver that you are using?
  5. Aside from testing different switches, what are the other troubleshooting steps that you tried?

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ambitionless
Novice

Hello Michael,

thanks for your reply. Here are the infos

1. I have this issue since around one year since I got a Netgear GS.108 switch

2. Windows 10 20H2

3. I did not try a different OS and have not used safe mode for quite some time

4. I am using this driver here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/de/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Netzwerkadaptertreiber-f-r-Windows-10

5. I did try setting flow control, reinstalling the driver and different versions of the driver and also set my connection to 1 Gbit/s full duplex as I read somewhere that this chip has some issues with switches

I will gladly provide more information if needed. Thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

Thank you for the quick reply. We have a similar thread and they were able to fix the issue. Please check the thread below:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/i219-V-Stability-Issues-when-Link-Speed-is-negotiated-above-10M/td-p/453868https://isvc.lightning.force.com/lightning/r/Knowledge__kav/ka14U0000005ANGQA2/view

And here is the summary of steps on how they were able to fix the issue:

• I solved it by allocating the maximum number of Receive and Transmit Buffers, which happens to be 2048 for both settings.
  • I have not investigated what the lowest usable value for each setting is in my case, but I suspect it is not necessary to use the maximum.
  • My hypothesis is that:
  1. the default value of 256 Receive Buffers is too low
    1. OR the default value of 512 Transmit Buffers is too low
      1. OR both default values are too low.
  • The above circumstances result in a buffer overflow of some sort, which causes the dropped connection at the local interface.

Please contact board vendor for customized driver and check application use.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ambitionless
Novice

Hi Michael,

unfortunately I can't click on that link because I get a single sign-on error on my PC and Smartphone. Where can I enter these values for the Buffers?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

I am sorry to hear that. Here is the link again and if you are logged in out community, you should be able to access the link:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/i219-V-Stability-Issues-when-Link-Speed-is-negotiated-above-10M/td-p/453868

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ambitionless
Novice

Hello Michael,

sorry for the late answer. I will test this this weekend, thank you so much for your help so far.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

Thank you for the reply. I will wait for your update once your test is done.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

How are you today? I just want to check if you already tried our recommendation and how is the system after that?

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
ambitionless
Novice

Hello Michael,

sorry for not getting back at you, had a troublesome week. Yes, since today your suggestion worked, thank you so much.

Another question, should this happen again in the next one or two weeks, can I just write in this thread or should I open another one?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello ambitionless,

Thank you so much for the confirmation and I am glad that the issue is now fixed.

If you need assistance again in the future, even if it is the same issue, please post a new question

for us to properly diagnose the issue.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos