Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5026 Discussions

PROSet Cable Tests button grayed out

TomMoz
Beginner

Updated with the latest driver, restarted, still can't run the Cable Test.

Connection Tests run fine.

Any ideas why?

Windows 10 Pro x64 22H2 latest patches.

PROSet v29.0 installed.

Driver v29.0 installed.

Restarted.

TomMoz_1-1712440297531.png

0 Kudos
42 Replies
TomMoz
Beginner

WOW!!!

Is there no limit to how much you prefer to throw the responsibility on other vendors???????

Camel75 wrote: "Latest working (Cable Testing) ProSet is 28.02 for me. In 28.03 and 29 > cable testing grayed out."

So it was working in version 28 and stopped working in version 29!!!

How is that Gigabyte's issue????

This is a software bug that was introduced in version 29!

Please do your job!

0 Kudos
Camel75
Novice

Hi Pintu !

You want Gigabyte or ASUS to patch your (Intel) PROSet Software ?

I will kindly remind you that i have the same issue with Asus Motherboard (Intel I211AT)... remember ?

Is this a joke ?

0 Kudos
TomMoz
Beginner

Camel75, this is the kind of service we get when Intel is hiring people for the following purposes:

1. Wasting our time as much as possible, so we might give up and go away.

2. Stopping requests from reaching the people who are supposed to fix the bugs.

As we've seen in the 14th gen CPU crash issue, Intel loves blaming the motherboard makers for its own bugs.

Intel Support, please do your job.

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello TomMoz,

Greetings for the day!

We are apologies for the delay response. Please try to update to the latest version 29.1 of the of the Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 and share the result. 

And if you want a full installation, click on the provided link and share the status: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000058304/ethernet-products.html before proceeding with updating the latest driver version.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Best Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos
TomMoz
Beginner

Hi,

I installed both the driver version 29.1 and the PROSet software version 29.1, then restarted my computer.

The result is still the same, the Cable test button is still grayed out.

TomMoz_1-1715795110023.png

I ran both the Hardware and Connection Status tests:

Hardware Test Results [5/15/2024 20:37:24] :
Register Status :Passed
FIFO Status :Passed
Interrupt Status :Passed
Loopback Test(s) :Passed
Connection Test Results [5/15/2024 20:38:06] :
Connection Status : Passed
Successfully pinged gateway address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (IP hidden)
Cable Link Status : Passed
This device is running at full speed.

0 Kudos
I_Nawf
Beginner
TomMoz, I have no issue with the cabel test version 29.1. Maybe you can try re-installing the application? Or probably the cable?Just giving some ideas.

Nawf
0 Kudos
TomMoz
Beginner

@Camel75 has version 29.1 solved your Cable Test issue?

0 Kudos
Camel75
Novice

No ! Same results...

I can actually update the driver to latest (14.0.5.0), but everything after ProSet 28.2.02 dont work.

Its quite annoying that intel provides 2 separate files to install drivers and ProSet, but you can not uninstall ProSet only... Its removing also drivers...

ProSet.jpgProSet2.jpgTomorrow i will also latest drivers and ProSet on my older PC (old Asus Motherboard with intel LAN) where with Cable Test you can also almost exact measure the length of the LAN cable...

0 Kudos
TomMoz
Beginner

Yup, downgraded PROSet to version 28.2 and Cable Test is working again.

Tried version 28.3 and it's not working.

It looks like this bug was introduced with version 28.3.

But, keep blaming Gigabyte...

TomMoz_1-1715910108882.png

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello Tom Moz,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

We appreciate you reaching out to us regarding the reported issue. As the product was purchased from one of our OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) partners, we kindly advise you to contact the OEM's support team for assistance. They will be best equipped to provide support and address any concerns related to the product's warranty coverage.

Feel free to reply to this email if you have any further questions or need assistance. We're here to help.

Best regards,

Manoranjan.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Camel75
Novice

Which Product do you mean ? PROSet Software ?

Your Support is ridiculous.

Incompetence Level here is hard to believe...

Thanks for your help !

Bye

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello Tom Moz,

Greeting for the Day!

We are currently awaiting your response regarding the case. If you have any queries or require further assistance, please feel free to respond on the community post. We are more than happy to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Intel products and services.

Regards,

Manoranjan Das.

0 Kudos
TomMoz
Beginner

You're waiting for my response after taking your hands off your own buggy software and sending me to Gigabyte support again???

What's the purpose for my response if all this support team exists for is to waste the customer's time?????

Pathetic quality and total Incompetence!!!

0 Kudos
RyanFeeko
New Contributor II

Hey @TomMoz , i have gone thru all the your and Intel support reply... can see the Intel Support (@Pintu) seems not much helps on your issue. That is very sad to see that.....

As per my checking, i found that there is new release driver 29.1.1.1 version. Maybe you can try if the latest driver fixed the issue. If still the same might need to wait the next major release for the Proset and driver... Hope Intel not remove the cable test option. 

You can find below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Hope this helps....:D

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello Tom Moz,

Greeting for the Day!

In this case, we are not attempting to directly send you to Gigabyte. However, we recommend reaching out to Gigabyte support. Since this specific adapter is integrated with the motherboard, and Gigabyte is the OEM, they may possess more information about it.

Regards,

Manoranjan Das.

0 Kudos
TomMoz
Beginner

You mean to say Gigabyte may possess more information about why Intel has introduced a bug in PROSet version 28.3 and when Intel is planning to fix this bug in the software Intel has developed?

I'll be super gentle in my reaction and say, I highly doubt that Gigabyte could contribute some useful information about this Intel bug.

Again, please stop wasting our time with something Intel development team needs to solve and stop adding more complexity to something Intel needs to address directly. Why should we ask the OEM questions about bugs that Intel (and you as Intel representative) should answer directly???

Following your logic, maybe I should also contact the store where I bought my motherboard, so they will contact Gigabyte, so Gigabyte will contact Intel????????

Stop insulting our intelligence.

If all you're capable is wasting our time I'd appreciate you not commenting.

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello TomMoz,

Could you please provide the make and model of the motherboard in question? Additionally, have you been in touch with the motherboard manufacturer regarding this issue?

As per our team update, this limitation could be due to the manufacturer not enabling additional capabilities.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos
Camel75
Novice

Hello Moderator !

Read all posts here and don't waste our time...

Both Motherboards were already mentioned (TomMoz 1st answer and my firs post)

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Dear TomMoz,

Warm greetings for the day!

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regarding this matter, we have already escalated it to our internal team. Once we receive an update, we will promptly inform you of the status.

Best regards,

Manoranjan

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello TomMoz,

Greetings!!

We are currently investigating the issues you have encountered with PROSet and would appreciate your assistance in gathering some specific information to further diagnose the problem.

Could you please provide us with the exact versions of PROSet where you have observed both working and failing behaviors?

Additionally, we kindly request that you perform the following steps to collect PROSet/QV logs:

1)Set the Trace value in the registry:

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\INTEL\Network Services\NCS2

Set “Trace” to a value of “4”

2)Open PowerShell and run the following command:

(Get-Process -Name wmiprvse | Where-Object {$_.Modules.ModuleName -contains "ncs2provider.dll"}) | Stop-Process -force

3)Attempt to reproduce the issue.

4)Locate the logs:

Logs should be available in C:\Program Files\Intel\Wired Networking\NCS2\

Additionally, please check the Event Viewer for any related errors:

Navigate to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application & System

Look for errors occurring when the issue is reproduced.

Best Regards,

Vishal 

0 Kudos
Pintu
Employee

Hello TomMoz,

Greeting for the Day!

We are currently awaiting your response regarding the case. If you have any queries or require further assistance, please feel free to respond on the community post. We are more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Manoranjan.

0 Kudos