Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5058 Discussions

Power management bug in I226-V Linux kernel driver

TOMillr
Beginner

Hello,

I've noticed that there's a bug in the Ubuntu 24.04 Linux kernel driver in for the I226-V ethernet controller. The device crashes, when a user tries to utilize power management capabilities of the hardware.

The devs of popular power management tool powertop has also acknowledged this bug on Github. Same for the manufacture of the Odroid H4 devices.

There's an open bug report from February 2024 over on Bugzilla referring to the same issue, but it has yet to be fixed. 

Best

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Azeem_Intel
Employee

Hello TOMillr,

Thank you for contacting Intel.

I hope you are doing well. Could you please share a snapshot of the defective part with the serial number visible? Additionally, please let us know if this product was purchased separately or with the machine.

Please do not hesitate in contact us, we are more than glad to assist you.

Best Regards,

Azeem_Intel

0 Kudos
TOMillr
Beginner

Hello Azeem,

thanks for getting back to me.

The ethernet controller is build into the Odroid H4+ and Odroid H4 Ultra single board computers made by Hardkernel.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h4-plus/
https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-h4-ultra/

Best

Thomas

0 Kudos
Simon-Intel
Employee

Hi TOMillr,

Good Day!

As you confirmed the ethernet controller is embedded on the board, there may be custom BIOS and drivers from the OEM/Manufacturer. Hence we kindly request you to contact the OEM/ Manufacturer as they are best equipped to troubleshoot your issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Simon

Intel customer support

0 Kudos
TOMillr
Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion, I have to contradict you however. 

The issue exists across multiple boards made by different manufacturers and is caused by the official driver that ships with the current Linux kernel. It seems to happen on ALL boards that use two or more ethernet ports I226-V ethernet controller.

I've already spoken to OEM/manufactures like Hardkernel or Asus as well as the maintainer of the powertop power management utility and they all point the finger back to the official Intel driver. That's why I've referenced the bug report over on Bugzilla in my initial post, which so far has gone unnoticed.

0 Kudos
TOMillr
Beginner

Anyone?

0 Kudos