Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4853 Discussions

Problem with Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Adapter driver

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am recently using a new system which is a Lenovo T410 with model number 2537LE3.

I noticed that whenever I am playing musics files from a USB flash drive which surfing the internet,

it causes a blue screen sometimes with error message something like "IRQL_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS" with file "e1k62x64.sys".

The incident happens when I press I press enter when finished typing address or clicked link in webpage in Internet Explorer.

I did a quick search on the file and found that it is from the ethernet card driver.

So I suspected that when there is simultaneous usage in USB and Ethernet, then the blue screen will most likely occurs.

Hope somebody will help me to solve this problem.

Running on system:

Lenovo Lenovo T410 2537LE3

BIOS version: 6IET68WW (1.28)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with latest updates

Ethernet driver version: 11.6.92.0

Thanks.

0 Kudos
54 Replies
idata
Employee

[sigh] I've been having this problem too, and so glad to find that I'm not the only one.

I've got a spanking new Toshiba Portege R700 (model S1330)... Core i7, SSD, 4GB RAM ... with the Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Adapter. I'm running Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit... via a clean install, followed by applying all of Toshiba's drivers from their support website. Similar to others, I'm also running Cisco VPN Client and Symantec Antivirus, both of which are our corporate standards.

I am experiencing an average of 1 or 2 crashes a day (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), not all of which are accompanied by a BSoD. I now have about 20 *.dmp files in the "minidump" folder and all are pointing to e1k62x64.sys as the likely culprit. (I'm using WinDbg to read these.)

The logging to the Event Log typically reads as follows:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0000000000000068, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff8800421b2e0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\Minidump\091710-25084-01.dmp. Report Id: 091710-25084-01.

Addl notes...

• I seldom use the laptop outside of the port replicator, so am unsure if it also occurs when undocked.

• The Cicsco VPN Client is not typically running when crashes occur.

• The crashes are more likely to occur when

• there is heavy CPU activity,

• when listening to music,

• and when watching video (e.g. Youtube)

... but sometimes occur when the machine is entirely idle (such as at nightime);

• One interesting example was that there were 2 such crashes overnight a few days ago, about an hr apart. This means that the second crash happened after the system had rebooted but before any user had logged in.

idata
Employee

I'm having the same problem with a brand new E6410. Glad to see I'm not alone i guess. Have tried many driver versions but no luck so far. Hope this is resolved soon.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It has been more than a month and I did not encounter any single BSOD with the ethernet driver. This is great!

Thanks again Mark H from Intel for solving the problem.

I would like to mark this question as "answered".

idata
Employee

I'm seeing the issues on Dell e6410's. We've got about 200 of them, strangely, only about 10 users have reported the issues (perhaps others are just living with it).

· When transferring large files over the network I'm seeing several problems. Either a stop-error (machine locks up), the file transfer locks up (Explorer.exe crashes), or a BSOD with memory dump, and the machine reboots.

· Crashing while surfing the net - Either a stop-error (machine locks up), or a BSOD with memory dump, and the machine reboots.

I've tried the fixes suggested here, I think I'm seeing an improvement, but still having the machine lock-up during large file transfers over the network. I want to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion thus far, and I'm curious to know if anyone else is still having problems, even with the edited driver file.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would like to introduce a different problem I am having with this network adapter on a new Dell E6510 (Win7 32-bit). The issue I am having is internet downloads like to stall at random points, then eventually timeout. The downloads start off very fast then slow gradually until it just stalls. Its very frustrating how often it happens. For example, today i went to the Intel website to check for a new driver version and during the download, it stalled. Tried again, stalled at a different point. Tried a different browser, same issue. Youtube videos will stall, same with internet radio. I did experience bluescreens with one driver version but the latest release from Dell cleared that problem up. But my issue still remains even with the latest 15.7 drivers from Intel.

Am I the only one with this problem? Any ideas? I'm getting really close to doing a clean install of Win7 to see if that makes a difference but I really dont want to go through that hassle.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi 00Hensley,

Personally I did not suffer from this problem although my system is not Dell.

From my experience, your problem will most likely to cause by poor connectivity or sometimes your internet gateway issue.

Would you mind to do a continuous ping test between your system and your internet gateway to see if any ping timeout occurs?

To start a continuous ping test:

1. Start - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt

2. In Command Prompt, type "ping -t " without quotes and press Enter.

3. Replace with your internet gateway IP address, for example 192.168.1.1

4. The ping will run, and let it run for like 1 minute.

5. Press "Ctrl + C" to stop the ping test after 1 minute.

6. Observe the ping test result to see if any ping timeout occurs.

7. A good network connectivity between your system and your internet gateway should not have any ping timeout during the ping test.

If you happened to have ping timeout occured in a row, then you might have to:

1. Check your network cable connecting from your system to your internet gateway, replace another cable if needed.

2. Check your internet gateway, do a power cycle or reboot if needed.

If you do not have ping timeout during the ping test, then I do not know what is going on, it might be your system or your internet provider is giving you this problem.

Let the community know your further investigation result. If you people other than 00Hensley also facing the same issue, please raise it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

thanks for the quick response!

I did a nonstop ping to my gateway, no timeouts but i did have more replies greater than 1ms which I found strange since its on the local network. however I am at work so that could be normal with 160 users.

I have one other user at the office with the same laptop and he has the problem as well.

I just thought of trying some packet capturing, maybe that will tell me something.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry for the long delay; E6410 customer here, with network connection issues ( Win7,Win8 x64 )

Who is your internet provider?

Comcast has a nice technique of giving you rapid-boost network bandwidth for small downloads.

I'm sure it helps them manage the massive number of connections, but it is also very quick.

But ... if your download exceeds their limits, then they revert to "advertised" download speeds.

And ... I have discovered Comcast sometimes decides you are an "abuser" of their network,

and puts you on a black-list of some sort to slow your bandwidth substantially.

This I suspect is to conteract Bit Torrent abuse of their networks.

You have to call Comcast tech support and get yourself removed from that list.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Has this been fixed on the newest versions of Intel drivers in 2012? I have been having this BSOD for a while and only now did I realize what might have been causing it. I updated my drivers and nothing so far yet, but fingers are crossed...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, me too. Not always BSOD, but inability to boot ... random corruption of settings that get repaired by MS Network Troubleshooter.

The 2010 network driver identified earlier was for a particular Dell Tag number.

My tag is different .. the driver did not get updated, so I'm reluctant to install the "off-tag" driver.

When Dell scanned my system for driver updates, they did not identify the 8252LM card for update.

0 Kudos
CSucr
Beginner

I have seen these problems caused by power management software. Uncheck the option, " allow windows to turn off this device to save power." For me, this solved problem on some 20 different machines with the same issue. To find this peculiar setting, In XP go to control panel, network connections, right mouse click your Network Connection, select properties, then configure, then Power Management, then uncheck "Allow the computer to turn offthis device to save power." Reboot and it should fix problem. This option is a severe driver bug and seems to be the same problem with every LAN Card or Wireless Internet card out there. By default the idiot operating system sets it checked. I go through all 20 of desktop and 10 laptops and uncheck it. NOTE: every time yournetwork card is updated with a new driver it again gets checked, so you must keep unchecking it on all PC's. Good Luck and cheers! Hope this helps. >>> SUCROMATIC

0 Kudos