Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Product Recommendation: 2.5G PCIe 2.x NIC for Hyper-V

Zendorea
Beginner

Hello, 

I am running an AMD Opteron based Windows Server 2019 Hyper-V Hypervisor Server. I would like to use this machine as a border VM server Hosting / Firewall server with connections to my ISP that is at 2.5GBASE-T. 

I am looking for a product recommendation for a 2.5G Based-T NIC adapter that is price competitive. 

The Hypervisor's PCIe bus can support up to 16x PCIe v2.1.

The server already has a LAN facing Intel based 82574L adapter that is using a Twinex DAC cable to a 10G internal LAN Agg Switch. 

I would like to replace this NIC with a NBASE-T NIC that will service both my WAN and LAN needs. 

I have been looking at your X550 based solution; however, I'm interested in discontinued products as well to keep cost down. 

Thanks for your time and Recommendations. 

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

Thank you for posting on Intel Ethernet Communities. 

If you are looking for our ethernet adapter that has up to 2.5G speed you can refer to our link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet/gigabit-network-adapters.html

Also if you are interested on our discontinued products, please take note that we cannot guarantee the availability of these units however you can still try checking on our online market place on the link below and check the nearest retailer on your location for the availability. 

https://marketplace.intel.com/s/?language=en_US

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zendorea
Beginner

Hello, 

I found your section on your 2.5G adapters; however, the up-front marketing on the pages only list them as 10/100/1000 adapters. Also while looking at the data sheets for each one listed; there is no information stated regarding the adapters are rated for or can achieve 2.5G line speed. (Either auto-negotiated or statically set to) 

Can you please provide some direction and/or model numbers that your engineering team will state with certainty perform at full 2.5G line speed. (Either auto-negotiated or statically set to) 

Thanks, 

Lauren Lynch

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

Thank you for responding, we will further check on this and will try to provide you a listing of our network adapters pertaining to have a definite 2.5G line speed. Please provide us some time to check. Would it be okay if we can provide an update between 2-3 business days? If you have a preferred date please advise instead. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zendorea
Beginner

Hi Zigfreid, 

I prefer an Intel product if they are affordable and practical to obtain. In my case, I am looking for a Hyper-V compatible (SR-IOV) 2.5G NIC to take full advantage of my 1G+ service on a device that has a single 2.5G interface. Having a full 2.5G line speed will allow headroom for burst traffic over constant traffic flows to the modem pushing the bottle neck to the modem and its buffers instead of the line rate of the 10/100/1000 NIC. 

I have considered using a 10GBase-T SFP+ Transceiver with an SFP+ cage NIC card and roll the dice on if the line rate will auto negotiate to 2.5G. However, I know that is a bad way to do networking and have heard this method can become unstable. If able, I would like to have to option to set line rate for both sides of the link ensuring a stable connection. 

With the rise of DOCSIS 4.0 and the need to provide Multi-Gig line speed to consumer's PC. I see a growing market segment for Intel to provide these 2.5G (NBASE-T Branded) NIC/Adapters to consumers at a reasonable price. 

Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

Thank you for responding, the list of NIC's below would be the ones that have a 2.5GbE speed that can be set to auto-negotiate;

700 Series Network Adapters (up to 40GbE)

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T4L for OCP 3.0

Launched RJ45 Category 6, Category 6A, Category 5e up to 100m Quad 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb PCIe 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T4L

Launched RJ45 Category 6, Category 6A, Category 5e up to 100m Quad 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb PCIe 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T2L for OCP 3.0

Launched RJ45 Category 6, Category 6A, Category 5e up to 100m Dual 10GbE/5Gbe/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb PCIe 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)

Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X710-T2L

Launched RJ45 Category 6, Category 6A, Category 5e up to 100m

Dual 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb PCIe 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)

500 Series Network Adapters (up to 10GbE)

Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapter X550-T2

Launched RJ45 Category 6 up to 55m; Category 6A up to 100m Dual 10GbE/5GbE/2.5GbE/1GbE/100Mb PCIe v3.0 (8.0 GT/s)

We do apologize however we don't have the current pricing of our NIC's on our site. If you are needing check for the pricing and availability, please refer to our online market site link that we have provided before. 

https://marketplace.intel.com/s/?language=en_US

If you are needing to check other features of our Network Adapters aside from its speed, you can also check it from our site and go to each individual series and see the list on the link below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/ethernet.html

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further

Awaiting to hear from you soon, should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out after 3 business days. Thank you and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zendorea
Beginner

The X700 and X500 series is priced about 400$ on secondary and Chinese knock off markets.

This is not what I'm looking for unfortunately but was afraid was the only offerings from Intel. 

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

We do apologize if there is no availability of the other NIC's that you are looking for on your location on our online market site. Do you have other concerns that we can help you with instead or can we already close the thread? Please do advise us.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

Good day! We hope that you are having a great one so far.

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zendorea
Beginner

Hi Zigferid, 

We decided to purchase an X710-T2L. ($330 on amazon at time of writing) We are hoping that It will be backwards compatible to PCIe 2.1. (as most PCIe cards are) With a physical 8x slot to facilitate enough bandwidth for a 10G LAN and a 2.5G WAN connection. This also allows us to reuse the card once I upgrade from our ASUS KGPE-D16 Motherboard. 

Not sure how many of the features of the card will be recognized as the Motherboard hardware is old; we will find out and adjust as needed. 

Thanks for assisting. 

Lauren

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

We are glad to hear that you were able to purchase a NIC. Since you have no other concerns can we already close this thread? Please advise. 

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

We'd like to know if you have any other questions or clarifications please let us know so we would know if we can close the thread.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

We will wait for your reply within 3 business days in case we don't hear from you, we will proceed closing this request.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Zigfreid_Intel

Hello Zendorea,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Zigfreid I.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos