Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

RSS CPU usage not consistent between Windows Server 2012R2 reboots

KBARO
Beginner

I have a dual port 10 GB NIC card using the 82599 controller. I am using the latest PROWin64 driver, Version 23.5.2. I have an application that send 4.5 Gbps on a single port. the data is split beween two UDP port numbers. I have RSS enabled and set to 2 CPUs. On some reboots, the driver utilizes two CPUs to process the data flow but on some reboots, the driver uses only once CPU. Why can I not consistently get the RSS to split the processing for my two UDP port application?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

Thank you for patiently waiting. I have an update on this issue.

Please verify if you already tried the following combination:

1. Set the RSS load balancing profile to "Closest Processor". Setting Closest Processor Static will assign the processors at boot and won't change them as load increases.
  2. Set the MaxRSS queue to "2"

For questions related to RSS, please find answer below:

Q - How does your driver decide to use one or two CPUs when receiving the data stream?

A - Intel driver works in accordance to how Microsoft defines the RSS capability. It uses hash function to computer for LSB then assign to the defined cores. Please refer to links below for additional information. Share the 3rd party link disclaimer.

RSS configuration - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/rss-configuration

RSS hashing types - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/network/rss-hashing-types

If you have questions, please let us know. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies
KBARO
Beginner

Just to clarify. The application that sends is FW from a custom HW module external to the PC. It sends a fast data stream using two UDP port numbers. The Windows PC is receiving the data stream. In addition to the two UDP port numbers for the fast data stream there is a very slow data stream on a third UDP port.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello KBARO, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Can you share the data that sometimes 2 CPU's are processing the data flow and sometimes only 1 CPU is managing it? Can you also share the troubleshooting steps that you tried so far? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I tried different settings for the driver, but the problem still remains. I want my UDP receive traffic to be managed by 2 CPUs and I see that without making any changes, on some reboots, the PC uses 2 CPUs and sometimes it uses only one. I have RSS processors set to 2 and I specify the starting CPU number. I always want to use two CPUs to process my receive traffic. It seems like there is a random hashing function in the driver that sometimes directs my data flow to one CPU and on other reboots of the PC, the traffic is directed to two CPUs. Can I force it to always use two CPUs, for this simple fixed UDP traffic on two UDP port numbers?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

It would be helpful to us if you can share details of your findings. Let me also gather the following details.

1. Are you using on-board NIC or PCIe NIC card?
  2. What is your Operating system?
  3. Please provide the model of your system.
  4. If you are using a PCIe card, can you provide the markings.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Hi Mike,

1. I am using a 2-Port 10G Fiber StarTech NIC: Product ID: PEX20000SFPI
  2. I am using Windows Server 2012 R2
  3. The motherboard is a SuperMicro X10DRi-T
  4. The card is as described in 1 above.

I don't understand why the behavior seems to be random on each reboot.

Please help identify why the driver is behaving this way.

Thanks.

Ken

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

We are hoping you can share the data about your inquiry.

And also, since you have a 3rd NIC. Have you tried contacting StarTech about the issue?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Hi Mike.

I have not tried contacting Star Tech because they use the Intel 82599 part on their board and it is the Intel driver that is exhibiting this random behavior.

I have shared just about everything about my application. What more do you need? Why is my UDP incoming data stream sometimes split across two processors and sometimes just one. It can change on each reboot.

I am receiving a 4.5 Gbps data stream from Firmware on a custom module we designed using the CAST UDP/IP Core. The data stream is using 9k Jumbo packets and sending alternately to two UDP port numbers. I want to use RSS to split the NIC processing to two CPUs. I am using Windows Server 2008 R2.

How does your driver decide to use one or two CPUs when receiving the data stream?

Thanks.

-Ken

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

Let me further explain why we also recommend consulting 3rd party maker. The drivers that we provide are just generic drivers and 3rd party maker can alter the specifications of the card. That is why most of them have their own download site for the latest driver because they should provide the appropriate driver since they may have altered the cards.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello Ken,

We'd like to check if you have tried contacting StarTech? There might also be the same issue reported to them that was encountered by another customer.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Hi. Thanks for your interest. The StarTech web site merely provides your 23.5.2 driver. They do not have their own modified driver. That is why I am coming to Intel for support.

I would really like to know why your driver is behaving in the way I described, and whether some of the settings can change the behavior to what I expect.

Thanks.

Ken

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

Actually, third party manufacturer wont indicate that the driver is modified. Usually the driver that they provide is the appropriate driver for the changes that they made on the NIC card that they produce. Have you tried StarTech's 23.5.2 driver?

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Thanks again Mike.

I downloaded the StarTech driver and did a binary file compare. Their 23.5.2 driver (for 64 bit Windows) is exactly the same as the 23.5.2 driver from the Intel web site, so yes, I've tried their driver because it is exactly your driver.

-Ken

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

I just want to mention again that what we have is just a generic driver that you can try. Since you are using a 3rd party card, I also tried to recommend to try their driver. However, you are still getting the same issue. It is best to further consult this issue to the manufacturer of the card, you may also try to update the firmware of the card.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Mike,

The Ethernet device is an Intel device and Intel has updated the Intel driver many times. Star Tech merely uses your driver and Ethernet device. The issue is with how the driver works and the options available in the driver settings and perhaps how Windows Server 2012 works.

Can you consult with your driver development team?

-Ken

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

I will try to further check how the driver works. However, let me just set the expectation that you are using a 3rd party manufactured card and Intel is not aware on the changes that they made on this particular card. Please give me 24 to 48 hours to provide an update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

Please download the System Support Utility from the link below, and attach a log file for us to investigate this issue. 

1- Download from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open SSU.exe

3- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan".

4- When finished scanning, click "Next".

5- Click on "Save" and attach the file to a post.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

I am just making a follow up on the SSU that I requested.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
KBARO
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for following up on this. Attached is the output from the SSU.

- Ken

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

Thank you for sending the SSU that I requested. Let me further check this and get back to you as soon as I have an update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello KBARO,

Base on the SSU that you provided, there's a X540 in the system. Please confirm if you are also having a similar problem with X540. We will wait for your update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos