Ethernet Products
Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
3702 Discussions

Send manageability commands through SMBus without BMC

MBaco
Beginner

Hello,

I bought a two-port Intel I350 NIC (vendor says "Generic i350-t2 V2"), and I wish to enable its critical session feature (also known as veto bit, keep PHY link up, and manageability session). However, it is not in a classic server installation, but rather in a simple desktop computer - I have my reasons for this, namely to be able to put the computer in suspend-to-RAM sleep state - which means there is no BMC as far as I know.

From the datasheet, I understand the BMC would send through SMBus a specific command to enable this feature. What I'd want is to send this command from the Linux kernel instead. As of now, I see two SMBus devices in '/dev', which are identified as "igb BB", so I guess they correspond to the two ports of the card, but I have not been able to send the command to either device. As a matter of fact, I cannot detect any slave on each device (using command i2cdetect). My try program results in an error, which code from errno is "ENXIO (6): no such device or address" when I send the command. Opening the device and setting the slave address to 0x49 "works" (in the sense it gives me no error).

So Tl;Dr: I want to send a manageability command through SMBus (or NC-SI if it'd work) without BMC, but rather from my Linux kernel or user-space. Is that even possible? If yes, how do I enable the NIC slave device?

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Maba,

Thank you for information. I will check if this is possible.

rgds,

wb

idata
Community Manager

Hi Maba,

What you were trying to do is not possible. In the I350 design checklist, there is a section of data lines that must be used between the BMC and i350, please refer to page 198, the keep_PHY_link_up bit is set by the BMC through the Management Control command (refer to Section 10.5.10.1.5 for SMBus command and Section 10.6.3.10 for NC-SI command) on the sideband interface.

Hope this clarified.

rgds,

wb

MBaco
Beginner

I thank you for the clarification. I understood it had to go through the SMBus interface, and now I know this interface is not available without a BMC

MBaco
Beginner

Right, so now I have a system with a BMC. It is a Hewlett-Packard server Proliant DL160 G6, which embeds a BMC powered by Light-Out 100 (their own management technology I'd say) and supports IPMI v2.

How would I activate this critical session now? It there a standard specification of IPMI to send a SMBus command? Or is it something HP should provide with their BMC?

idata
Community Manager

Hi Maba,

Let me double check for you. Thank you.

rgds,

wb

idata
Community Manager

Hi Maba,

Further checking it is recommended to contact HP* to raise your concern since HP* own the

hardware. Hope this clarified.

rgds,

wb