Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4808 Discussions

Understanding the NIC configuration using Intel(R) QSFP+ Configuration Utility (qcu64e)

lgsit
Beginner

We have installed (built in) a Intel(R) Ethernet Converged Network Adapter XL710 in a new Linux server.

On port 1 we have attached a 40GE QSFP to 4x 10GE SFP+ splitter cable and connected one of the SFP+ cables to a switch and another one to a network storage device. This works as expected.

To make this work, we configured the port using the Intel(R) QSFP+ Configuration Utility (qcu64e) as follows:

# ./qcu64e /nic=1 /info Intel(R) QSFP+ Configuration Utility   QCU version: v2.34.12.00 Copyright(C) 2014 - 2019 by Intel Corporation. Software released under Intel Proprietary License.   Adapter supports QSFP+ Configuration modification. Current Configuration: 4x10   Supported Configurations: 1x40 1x40 LOM 2x40 2x40 LOM 4x10 4x10LOM 2x2x10A 2x2x10B 2x2x10LOM #

However, I noticed, that there only are 4 network config files total (see below), actually there should be 8 due to 2x 4x10 or am I wrong? I mean, the 4x10 option should apply to each interface, due to the fact, that I can only select a NIC itself rather than a port on the NIC.

# ls -la /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ | grep "enp" -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 82 15. Okt 10:05 ifcfg-enp129s0f0 -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 58 6. Nov 14:02 ifcfg-enp129s0f1 -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 109 6. Nov 13:57 ifcfg-enp129s0f2 -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 58 6. Nov 14:02 ifcfg-enp129s0f3 #

Did I miss something?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
28 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello lgsit,

Thank you for the patience on this matter. 

Unfortunately, we don't have an adapter that meets your requirements. Alternatively, the maximum throughput of the XL710 is 40Gb, you may use 2 XL710-QDA1 NICs to achieve this configuration.

We hope the above information helps.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this request.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
lgsit
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

thanks for your answer.

What about a 100 Gbit/s adapter? Is there a way we can set 40 Gbit/s per port with the constellation shown on the graphic?

For example:

• 100 Gbit/s in total
  • 40 Gbit/s on port 1 without breakout cable
  • 40 Gbit/s on port 2 with breakout cable
  • 20 Gbit/s remain "unused"

Is something like this possible?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello lgsit,

You are welcome.

Can you share the exact model of 100Gbit/s adapter that you have in mind for us to double check on it?

Awaiting to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
lgsit
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

actually, I don't have one in mind, yet. I thought you can give me some information what Intel provides.

As a matter of fact, you are closer to Intel than me. 😉

Looking forward to your response.

Have a nice weekend!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello lgsit,

Good day and I hope you had a great weekend!

Apologies as I assumed you have an adapter in mind. Please allow us to check if we have 100Gbit/s adapter that would fit your requirements. We will get back to you within 1-3 business days.

Hoping for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello lgsit,

Thank you for the patience on this matter.

Please be informed that 100 GbE product has not been launched yet and there's no information regarding the support for split configuration. Please stay tune for updates in our website.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
lgsit
Beginner

Hello Crisselle,

thanks for all your help. I will stay tuned then and keep my eyes open for new models.

In advance, I wish you a Merry Christmas as well as a good start into a Happy New Year!

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello lgsit,

You are welcome, we are glad that we were able to help you on this request.

Thank you for your time and cooperation throughout the process. Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, please do not hesitate to post a new question. 

We are also wishing you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos