I have a VM (VMWare virtual machine) on which I installed Windows 7. The default Network Adapters are Intel(R) PRO 1000 MT for which I'm trying to configure VLAN tagging. I downloaded the latest version of PROWinx64.exe and when I run it, it eventually throws the error, "No Intel adapters present..."
Despite the adapters appearing in the Device Manager
When I try to update the drivers, Windows tells me, "The best driver software for your device is already installed."
Thank you for contacting Intel.
You are getting the error message because our latest driver pack doesn't support the Intel® PRO/1000 MT Server Adapter. This adapter model uses the driver available in MS Windows* 7 (In-box driver). Please refer to website below for more information on adapters with Windows 7 driver support:
http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-030613.htm Network Connectivity — Is My Intel® Ethernet Adapter Supported in Microsoft Windows 7*?
Hope this helps.
The link provided above proposes the following solution (copy and pasted from Intel's web page):
Intel® Ethernet Adapters can have full support, in-box only support, or both, for Microsoft Windows 7*.
1 In-box only
- In-box means the drivers are supplied with Microsoft Windows.
- Driver and software updates are not available for adapters that are in-box only.
- Intel® PROSet for Windows Device Manager and Advanced Network Services (ANS) driver for teaming and VLANS are not included with in-box support.
- You might be able to add an adapter with in-box support to a team using multi-vendor teaming (MVT). See the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&DwnldID=11848 user guide for MVT considerations.
2 Full support
- These adapters have updated drivers, Intel PROSet for Windows Device Manager, and Advanced Network Services (teaming and VLAN) software available in http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Download Center.
- To detect and update drivers for Wired Networking, use http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/network Intel® Driver Update Utility.
- Manually download the latest http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?keyword=PROWin32.exe&OSVersion=Windows+7* Intel® Ethernet Software and Drivers.
The Download Center is a generic area wherein I must search for the driver for the product. (going in circles)
The Intel Driver Update Utility yielded the message,
The Manual Download takes me to a page where I can get PROWIN32 (not helpful).
Is there a simple, direct instruction on getting "Full Support" for these Ethernet Adapters?