Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4810 Discussions

WARNING! Latest Win 10 update breaks X520 Ethernet drivers!

JMcLa12
Beginner

After installing the latest “update and feature pack” to my Windows 10 box, my X520 Ethernet adapter is “Disabled” and won’t enable. I installed the latest 25.1 drivers but still a no go.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
JMcLa12
Beginner

I should clairify, it breaks any LAG (Adapter Teaming) you have set up. I was able to force delete the LAG out of system properties and get a single adapter working.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

We have confirmed that Intel® Advanced Network Services (ANS) for 20H1 is not supported in SW Release 25.1. ANS support including Teams and VLAN configuration will be available for Windows 20H1 with SW Release 25.1.1.

SW Release 25.1.1 will be available hopefully before the end of the month.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Good day!

We have been informed that SW 25.1.1 will be available next week and brings support for Windows 10 20H1 (2004) including Team/VLAN configuration.

We will also closely wait for the update and inform you once released.

Hoping for your kind patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
fredless
Beginner

Driver package version 25.1.1 did post recently and seems to have resolved the issue for our I210 and I219-LM NICs.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Good day!

Please be informed that SW Release 25.1.1 is now available for download. Will you be able to try it out and give us an update for the result?

Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=139349

SW Release 25.1.1 supports Microsoft Windows* 10, Version 2004 & Microsoft* Windows Server* Version 2004. This includes support for Team and VLAN configuration.

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JMcLa12
Beginner
I installed the new 25.1.1 but I am not seeing any change. I’m still getting the “device won’t start” error in Windows.

I ended up just buying a different brand 10G Ethernet adapter time get my system back up and running.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this might have caused.

Please let us know if you wish to continue working on this matter. If yes, kindly share the PBA and serial number of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. Providing photos of the adapter focusing on the markings (white sticker) found on the physical card will be highly appreciated for us to double check on it. The PBA consists 6-digit number located at the last part of the serial number.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

If no, please advise if we should proceed in closing this request. 

Looking forward to your reply.

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JMcLa12
Beginner
This particular adapter is an X710. The SN: 6805CA30F020 and the PBA: H48836-003
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion. 

Do you wish to continue troubleshooting the original issue that you have with your X520 adapter? 

Just to clarify, do you encounter any issues with your X710 adapter? If yes, please share the exact issue for to us to check on your query.

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will make sure to reach out after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JMcLa12
Beginner
I have several systems with Intel 40G adapters and ALL of them are experiencing issues. The X710 are getting the error “Code 10 - Device can’t start.” The X520 will not allow teaming. This all started after the 2004 update.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
These issues were supposed to have been fixed in the 25.1.1 release of the driver package. Have you tried that version? You can download the package from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack?product=189530.
...S
0 Kudos
JMcLa12
Beginner
Yes. I’ve tried 25.1.1 and I’m still getting “Windows error Code 10 - Device can’t start” on my system with a Z490 chipset with a X710 adapter installed. Are there any bios updates for the X710 adapter?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Here's a page that list all of the downloads for the X710 Series: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/189530/Intel-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-X710-Series. I see a couple of NVM update entries; you will need to verify their applicability.

...S

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Good day,

After checking, H48836-003 is an OEM version of X710-AM2 adapter from IBM. With this, we'd like to check if you can verify with IBM if they have NVM package for your adapter. As the package that can be downloaded from our website is intended for Intel branded or Retail version of adapters.

Please see below details as mentioned on the Readme file of Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter 700 Series

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24769/Non-Volatile-Memory-NVM-Update-Utility-for-Intel-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-700-Series?product=189530

Limitations and Prerequisites

=============================

This package is intended to be used on Intel branded adapters. Please contact

your OEM vendor for an appropriate package. In some cases this package may

update an OEM device. This package only updates the NVM image for the device

family listed on the package. Each Intel Ethernet product family has its own

NVM Update Package.

Will you please share the markings of your X520 adapter for us to identify its authenticity?

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JMcLa12
Beginner
Well then I guess I did the right thing by switching brands. I don’t have any IBM (I assume you mean Lenovo) servers and I’m pretty sure any NVM update package they put out is going to verify the motherboard BIOS prior to updating.

I did reinstall the 2004 update on the original system I discovered this issue on and 25.1.1 is working. However it wipes out the LAG configuration and therefore must be rebuilt.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Thank you for the reply.

Apologies for the confusion. But we'd like to clarify that your adapter is an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) version of X710-AM2 from IBM. Intel develops network components used in motherboards and network adapters sold by OEMs such as Dell*, HP*, Gateway*, and IBM*. Network controllers that are built into the motherboard or network adapters sold by an OEM are supported by the OEM. Intel does not provide support for OEM integrated network controllers or OEM adapters.

We are sorry to hear that the LAG configuration disappears and must be reconfigured. Unfortunately, Microsoft does not support Team and VLAN configuration on Windows 10. Team and VLAN configuration for Intel Ethernet Adapters on Windows 10 is supported via Intel® PROSet software. Intel® PROSet is not included on Microsoft Windows Update.

Let us know if you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
JMcLa12
Beginner
I understand that many OEM’s sell your board. But physically these boards are all identical! So there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be able to get the updates needed directly from Intel. I have no way of identifying who sold the board simply by looking at it. The only logo on the entire component is Intel.
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Appreciate your swift response.

Yes, the adapters are physically identical and the only way to identify is it is an OEM or Retail is thru the Part number and MAC address. However, OEMs might have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM adapter, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided via your manufacturer.

As also mentioned on the description of Intel® Ethernet Adapter Complete Driver Pack

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283/Intel-Ethernet-Adapter-Complete-Driver-Pack

If you purchased an OEM branded server or appliance, contact your OEM for a SW driver version that is compatible with your exact FW version. Using SW and FW versions that have not been validated to work together will affect performance, feature availability and system stability.

Moving forward, do you still encounter any issues on your adapters for us to further check on it? 

If you have any other assistance needed, feel free to let us know.

Hoping to hear from you soon

In case we don't receive a response, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

Good day!

We'd liket to check if you still have additional questions and clarifications on this matter. If you do, feel free to let us know and we will be glad to be of help. 

Awaiting to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello JMcLa12,

How are yo today?

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future. 

May you have an amazing day!

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos