Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

Windows 10 Advanced tab language

nm987
Beginner

This is the issue which I have on 2 PCs with 3 different Intel NICs. Just to make clear what am I talking about I will post this Intel link with a screenshot of affected tab:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005593/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Now let's get to the issue. Both PCs have English as display language, but Japan is set as a region. As a result all advanced settings are garbled and can't set them up without tons of guesswork. The same settings are garbled in PROSet Adapter configuration utility as well.

Question is how to change those settings to be displayed in English? Answers like "change your region setting" are unacceptable because changing it will break other company specific software on both PCs.

Driver package:  Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10 25.6

Affected NICs: X520-2, I219V, X540-T1

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

We just received an update from engineering that after a series of validations, the issue that you are experiencing is an expected behavior based on the way Windows handles localization. For more information, please check the link. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/inf-strings-section

Since re-installing Windows would be tedious for you, our Engineering tea, provided a workaround by running "sysprep.exe /oobe" and selecting English during the install wizard — worked. You need to uninstall/delete and then reinstall the driver afterwards. This could be a shorter workaround for the than a full Windows reinstall.

Furthermore, based on the findings above, this is not driver related. It is how Windows handles localization. You may also check or contact Microsoft for more information.

We look forward to your reply or assessment of the answer above. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
36 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

Thank you for patiently waiting for our update.

We are deeply sorry for the time that it took to get back to you. Our engineers tried all kinds of permutations of setting Windows Region to US and Japan, and Language to English and Japanese, then installing the driver; unfortunately, they did not run into the issue.

We would like to continue to try to replicate the issue, and we will deeply appreciate it if you can share some insights or step-by-step procedure on how you installed the drivers.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
nm987
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

sorry for the long silence.

One of the PCs had Japanese OS language pack installed by default, but I deleted it an installed English one. Maybe that could be a source of an issue?

Drivers were downloaded and installed few months after the OS language switch.

Other PC had English Windows 10 from the beginning.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

Thank you for your response and for trying to remember the configuration of your system.

The idea that you have shared could be the source of the issue. 

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this.

We will get back to you no later than four business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
nm987
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

do you have any additional updates regarding this topic?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

We are humbly sorry for not getting back to you right away. We were double-checking and consolidating our testing results so that we will have a more complete and extensive reply.

Here are our findings and formulated workaround:

We were finally able to reproduce the issue using the following procedures:

1. Install Windows 10 via Japanese version ISO
  2. Add the English language pack
  3. Deleted the Japanese language pack
  4. Install Intel drivers
  5. Driver advanced properties appear in Japanese

It seems the driver is using the language from the Windows 10 install ISO file for the Advanced Properties, or the Advanced Properties don't get translated when the OS language changes.

We also noticed that the Intel I219 driver and the Intel Bluetooth driver also have the same behavior.

Our opinion is that this is a boundary condition that would rarely be seen. The fix/workaround is to reinstall Windows using the English language installation ISO.

Please let us know if this is a useable workaround for you.

May we also know how many systems are affected?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
nm987
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

thank you for reaching out. Also sorry for my late reply.

Currently reinstalling all systems from the scratch is not feasible because it would take systems down for a long time.

It is a good thing to know that installing form the English ISO would not trigger this issue. However, some new systems come with the OEM license and we would like not to reinstall OS on the brand new machines which already have factory pre-installed OS.

Kid regards

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

Thank you for letting us know that our recommendation is not feasible. We totally understand.

No apologies needed. It is completely okay. We know that you are also busy with other stuff.

We will look for alternative solution and the information that provided is invaluable to us.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

We will get back to you no later than 4 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

We are sorry for the lengthy wait. 

Our engineering team needed to be deliberate in finding another workaround; unfortunately, the only workaround is installing a Windows English ISO.

The only other option is to send this issue to the driver development team and see if they will change the behavior regarding language. Please let us know if you would like us to do that. 

Since we saw the same behavior with the I219 and the Intel Bluetooth driver, it's not clear to us whether this is considered expected behavior.

We have requested to take this to development.

To level set with you, this is a rare situation, and it will likely be a low priority for our development team to work on it, and we will not be able to provide an ETA.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your answer, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
nm987
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

thank you very much for your support.

As previously stated, sometimes we get PCs with pre-installed OEM version of Windows 10 from vendors like Dell, HP etc. where it is just way too much time consuming to reinstall OS, update it and install drivers etc.

Regarding the priority, we are completely fine with waiting as long as this phenomenon will be fixed sometime in the future. It can be annoying a bit to set it up, but hearing that it can be fixed is a relief.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

Thank you for your understanding and consideration of the option provided by our engineers.

We understand why the workaround will not work for you, and we are terribly sorry that there is no other workaround available. We can imagine how close to impossible it is to carry out the suggestion.

We may need to close the thread since your concern will be handed to our development team; however, we will still discuss if we have other things to provide you.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We will get back to you within four business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

We just received an update from engineering that after a series of validations, the issue that you are experiencing is an expected behavior based on the way Windows handles localization. For more information, please check the link. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/install/inf-strings-section

Since re-installing Windows would be tedious for you, our Engineering tea, provided a workaround by running "sysprep.exe /oobe" and selecting English during the install wizard — worked. You need to uninstall/delete and then reinstall the driver afterwards. This could be a shorter workaround for the than a full Windows reinstall.

Furthermore, based on the findings above, this is not driver related. It is how Windows handles localization. You may also check or contact Microsoft for more information.

We look forward to your reply or assessment of the answer above. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Oleprong
Beginner

Hi.

Following this advice ended up deleting my account on my PC and all my files with it.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Nm987,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
nm987
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

I used Sysprep on one of the PCs with OEM Windows and after reinstalling drivers I could see advanced settings in plain English.

Thank you for your effort, I will mark your previous post as solution.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Sunny, 

Thank you for your update.

It is a great joy to know that the workaround worked.

It was a great pleasure assisting and you are most welcome.

If you would like to give us an update or if you have further questions, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Thank you for contacting Intel® and have a great year.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos