Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4855 Discussions

Windows Server 2012 R2 Driver Support for Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (11) I219-LM

Maynman
Beginner

Does anyone know if there will be Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows 8.1 driver support for the Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (11) I219-LM network chipset? This is the one with hardware ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0D4C.

I've looked through the latest driver inf files, and there is only support for this particular variant in Windows Server 2016, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2019.

Other variants are supported in Windows Server 2012 R2, like (5), (6) etc... but seem to stop before (11).

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Mike_Intel

Hello Maynman,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Upon checking, Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (11) I219-LM should support Windows Server 2012 and 8.1. Kindly check the link below for more details:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

However, since you are requesting for a specific hardware ID, if you are using onboard or embedded I219-LM, it also best to

contact the board manufacturer. Just like what we have stated in the link, it is possible that they have altered the features of the network card.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support Technicians

0 Kudos
Maynman28
Beginner
Thank you for the response. This network chipset is embedded in the motherboard of the system and the motherboard manufacturer does not have drivers for this specific OS, which prompted my post.

This chipset is supported on Server 2012 R2 according to the link you sent. And looking at the inf files provided by Intel in the latest driver release, I see this specified hardware ID does have drivers for newer OSes like Server 2016 and Windows 10 so it is likely a decision by Intel whether to release drivers for it.

Is there an internal resource at Intel you could specifically ask about Windows 2012 R2 support with that particular device ID?
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Maynman,

Thank you for the prompt reply and sorry for the delay in our response.

The link that we provided is for Intel retail cards and the driver is generic.

Third party manufacturer should have a driver for the cards embedded on their board or you may try to submit a request on the link below.

https://sourceforge.net/p/e1000/feature-requests/

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Maynman28
Beginner
Hello Michael, is there any way to find and answer to this question?

Why is there no Windows 2012 R2 driver for VEN_8086&DEV_0D4C when there is a driver for that device ID for Windows 2016 and 2019?
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Maynman,

The driver that we provided is a generic driver that should work for all of the cards for that particular model. However, if you are looking a a driver for a specific card, I am really sorry, we don't have that driver. You may ask the manufacturer of the board for a driver that should work on the network card on their board. They are the one who validated the OS and driver during the testing stage.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Maynman28
Beginner

Hi Michael, I understand what you are saying, but I am still left with my question unanswered given that the hardware ID I am asking about is present in the inf file for generic driver for Windows 10, Windows Server 2016, and Windows 2019, but not in the inf file for the Windows Server 2012 R2 drivers.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0D4C is not present in e1d64x64.inf, but is is present in  e1d65x64.inf and e1d68x64.inf

That seems to be an Intel decision. Are you sure there isn't another resource you could pose this specific question to?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello Maynman,

The reason for that is because the OS is old, Intel will only update drivers for newer OS. Specially for newer products, they were tested using the latest hardware and OS that's why our Engineers did not include older OS for testing during development stage of the cards.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
Maynman28
Beginner

Thank you for the explanation. That was the clear answer I was looking for.

0 Kudos