Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4873 Discussions

X540-AT2 make fails on Ubuntu 22.10, 5.19.0-29-generic

jmhands
Beginner

Is there a nightly build or something I can try? I see Ubuntu 22.04 LTS support, which I can try. Not sure if the difference in 5.15 to 5.19 kernel would impact this.

~/ixgbe-5.18.6/src$ make install
*** The target kernel has CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL enabled, but
*** the signing key cannot be found. Module signing has been
*** disabled for this build.
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.19.0-29-generic'
warning: the compiler differs from the one used to build the kernel
The kernel was built by: x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc-12 (Ubuntu 12.2.0-3ubuntu1) 12.2.0
You are using: gcc (Ubuntu 12.2.0-3ubuntu1) 12.2.0
CC [M] /home/jm/ixgbe-5.18.6/src/ixgbe_main.o
/home/jm/ixgbe-5.18.6/src/ixgbe_main.c: In function ‘ixgbe_configure_dcb’:
/home/jm/ixgbe-5.18.6/src/ixgbe_main.c:5830:25: error: implicit declaration of function ‘netif_set_gso_max_size’; did you mean ‘netif_set_tso_max_size’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
5830 | netif_set_gso_max_size(netdev, 65536);
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| netif_set_tso_max_size
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:257: /home/jm/ixgbe-5.18.6/src/ixgbe_main.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1850: /home/jm/ixgbe-5.18.6/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.19.0-29-generic'
make: *** [Makefile:99: default] Error 2

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jmhands
Beginner

completes just fine on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello jmhands,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Please send photos on the unit on both sides focusing on the markings for us to validate if the unit is an OEM unit or not.

2. What is the brand and model of your board or system?

Just for note:

For Ubuntu supported version please refer to this link. Only Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS fully supported.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055236/ethernet-products/gigabit-ethernet-controllers-up-to-2-5gbe.html

Also, please note the kernel supported for the ixgbe driver 5.18.6 on Ubuntu 22.04 is kernel release 5.15.

For Ubuntu 20.10 the kernel release 5.19 which isn't supported.

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/download/14302/intel-network-adapter-driver-for-pcie-intel-10-gigabit-ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up on Feb 15th 2023. Thank you.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello jmhands,

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending a follow up if you have any questions from the previous post. If so, please let us know.

In case we do not hear from you, I will make a follow up on February 17th 2023 . Thank you.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hi jmhands,

Please be informed that we will now close this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow ups. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Irwan_Intel

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos