Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

X550 NVM (Firmware) changelog

raymov
Novice

Have noticed 2.00 is available:

Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter X550 Series

How does this differ from earlier firmware versions such as 1.86 & 1.93?

Is there a changelog and/or what's new document available?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. We need to further check this inquiry and get back to you as soon as we have an update. If you further questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Regarding your inquiry, please check the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/release-notes/ethernet-controller-x550-feature-support-matrix.pdf If you further questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Just want to check if you have questions or clarifications for this issue. If you do, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, If you have additional questions or clarifications, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
raymov
Novice

Thanks for the pointer, looks like the current documents are kept here:

Intel Ethernet Controller X550 Family

Looking at:

- Intel Ethernet Controller X550: Feature Support Matrix (Mar 19)

The General & Virtualisation Features appear to be the same,

except for recovery mode introduced with NVM Version 2.00

Has anything else changed besides the version numbers?

- Intel Ethernet Controller X550 Family: Specification Update (Nov 18)

Only covers up to NVM Version 1.93

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Yes, the link that I gave belongs to that link. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
raymov
Novice

To rephrase the original post and last question, where can we find the full list of changes?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Let me further check if we have a public document with the full list of changes. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, I tried to gather the information that you requested, however, upon further checking, the ones posted in our sites are the only available documents related to NVM version 2.0, We've also confirmed the major and relevant change from version 1.93 to 2.00 is the recovery mode. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
raymov
Novice

Would be grateful if you can ask the developer, since I am sure there have been other changes.

When will the latest X550 Specification Update be available covering firmware 2.00?

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Can you tell us why you need this information? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello raymov, Just making a follow up and checking why do you need the change log infromation? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
raymov
Novice

Out of date firmware can be a security risk,

as highlighted by the ISACA infographic below:

Firmware-infographic.jpg

Source: isaca.org/firmware

As part of good firmware change management control,

would be grateful for better transparency, such as a current:

"Intel Ethernet Controller X550 Family: Specification Update"

covering changes in v2.00 including a list of security and

non-security related performance & reliability improvements.

This will help avoid unnecessary update fatigue.

Mike_Intel

Hello raymov,

Thank you for the clarifications. However, I tried checking if there are other documentations that provide the changes and I am sorry to say that there is none except for the document that I already shared.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
raymov
Novice

Be grateful if you can followup with Intel's x550 series Product Manager and Software Engineer.

Here is a good example from a different product (Intel NUC i7): BIOS Update Release Notes

with better transparency by showing a list of security and non-security related performance & reliability improvements.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello raymov,

I understand. Let me try to check check this again. Please give me 24-48 hours to provide an update.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello raymov,

Thank you for your feedback. We've already forwarded your suggestion to the product engineer and they will look into the request and improve the next release of documentation. However, we're not able to share the specific details of FW 2.0 due to confidential information but the major change is "recovery mode" and some security updates.

Hoping for your kind consideration.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello raymov,

I just want to check if you still have questions or clarifications. Please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello raymov,

Just checking if you have clarifications, please let us know.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
raymov
Novice

Looking at your reply:

"...  they will look into the request and improve the next release of documentation."

Have noticed the documentation has not been updated in the last quarter,

"However, we're not able to share the specific details of FW 2.0 due to confidential information but the major change is "recovery mode" and some security updates."

This seems really vague and ridiculous, any reason for the tight lipped culture?

I believe this is a better approach:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_transparency

"Security Through Obscurity Considered Dangerous"

"Open Discussion Encourages Better Security"

Would be grateful if you can escalate this to someone more helpful.

Look forward to the changelog

0 Kudos