Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4864 Discussions

i210 fails loopback (offline) testing

SRoge1
Beginner

I have two custom ARM i.MX6 I210 systems, A and B.

System A works fine, establishes link and passes the loopback/offline test.

System B brings up the ethernet interface but never establishes link (100 or 1Gbit), and the loopback/offline test fails:

ethtool --test eth1

The test result is FAIL

The test extra info:

Register test (offline) 0

Eeprom test (offline) 0

Interrupt test (offline) 0

Loopback test (offline) 13

Link test (on/offline) 1

System A has an I210 (WGI210AT) connected over PCIe to the i.MX6. It uses the built-in phy and runs Kernel 3.0.35 and IGB driver 5.0.6. It has INVM image 'Copper NoAPM v0.6'.

System B has an I210 (WGI210AT) connected over PCIe to the i.MX6. It uses the built-in phy and runs Kernel 3.14.79 and IGB driver 5.0.5-k. It has INVM image 'Copper NoAPM v0.6'

This failure occurs with or without magnetics connected.

Could anyone suggest what might cause this type of failure? I believe that PCI communications with the I210 is ok given that the driver can communicate with the part. I have tested multiple instances of system B and all fail in the same way, so I don't believe the I210 is faulty.

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SRoge1
Beginner

Our engineers have found the answer. The I210 internal phy isn't being powered because we neglected to connect 1V5 to pin 56 VDD1p5.

Hopefully this will help anyone who has a similar problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SRoge1
Beginner

Our engineers have found the answer. The I210 internal phy isn't being powered because we neglected to connect 1V5 to pin 56 VDD1p5.

Hopefully this will help anyone who has a similar problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SimonR1,

Thank you very much for sharing the information, a great help indeed.

Rgds,

wb

0 Kudos