Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4874 Discussions

i225-v in windows 11, unable to disable wake-on-lan

DoctorDan
Beginner

I have ASUS Rog Strix B550-F WiFi II with Ryzen 5700g and windows 11.

Windows will not sleep or hibernate. It shuts down and within 10 seconds resumes automatically. I have updated all drivers and tried the "clean boot" procedure. I have tried various advanced settings such as pci-e power management. None have any effect.

It was suggested that the NIC should be configured to only wake-on-lan by magic packet so I opened the property pages to make the change.

All of the options on the power management property page of the i225-v are greyed out and unable to change.

There is no information to be found on the web about this.

I have changed the BIOS to disable the embedded i225-v and, with that done, the system now sleeps and hibernates properly.

I assume that the state of the property pages is controlled by the intel-supplied driver, but I obviously can't be sure of that.

Anyway, something is clearly seriously wrong. The power management options should be editable - not disabled.

Please explain what is going on and how to fix it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

I understand that you've already made the decision to disable/replace the NIC and don't plan to revert back. It's unfortunate that you won't be able to recover the $15 spent, but hopefully the new Intel driver will be released soon and help resolve any issues you're experiencing.

It sounds like you've had some challenges with the Intel i915 Linux driver and had to resort to using a discrete GPU card. You might consider post your experience to Intel graphic/processor community.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/bd-p/graphics

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with Intel and it has caused you to reconsider them as a vendor for your future systems. While I may not be able to address your specific concerns, I appreciate you sharing your feedback and hope that Intel takes it into consideration to improve their products and services.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a response from Intel regarding the error you reported. It may be worth following up with them to ensure that your report has been received and is being addressed.

If there is no other issue regarding with ethernet products, We will be closing this thread. If you want to continue support, please reply to this community thread and we will reopen your case or create a new one so that we can continue to support you. 

Thank you.

Regards,

JunAn_Intel.

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DoctorDan
Beginner

Additional info:

1 - several weeks ago I asked a question about linux taking two minutes to respond after resuming. See https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Problem-after-waking-from-suspend-on-linux  This problem was never resolved.

2 - Current problem:

I disabled the i225-v in the BIOS. Immediately windows was able to suspend and stay suspended. Linux was able to fully resume immediately after resume.

Then i installed  TP-Link gigabit NIC (realtek)

Windows suspends correctly

Linux resumes correctly

Both os'es use (as far as I can tell0 intel-derived drivers.

recall that these problems both occur on i9 and ryzen based boards that all use the i225-v.

It seems that either a) the i225-v hardware design is flawed or b0 both drivers are flawed.

And please don't tell me to take it up with MS or my "linux vendor". Clearly this problem originates with intel, not them

Thank you

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

For us to further check and investigate the issue, please provide the following details.

1. Can you share about your driver information and version.
  2. Can you share to us how did you update the driver?
  3. Please generate the SSU of the system, kindly download the utility here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?wapkw=ssu

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

1 - i225v driver Release_28.

2 - see #1

3 - not sure I can.  I have diabled it in the bios and installed a differnt nic. The power management options in the device props of the new nic are all enabled. On th i25 they were all disabled

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

WOL is planned to be one of the advanced settings added with the full driver. When drivers for Windows 11 are released, there will still be additional settings versus the in-box drivers.

Unfortunately, the only option right now is to wait for the release of Windows 11 drivers. You may check our download center from time to time for the Windows 11 driver. 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/184676/intel-ethernet-controller-i225v/downloads.html

We would also like to sincerely apologize for the delay as we do not have release date yet of the driver and for the inconvenience that this might have caused.

Anyway, You might try to update the driver from Asus support site.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wifi-ii-model/helpdesk_download/

Looking forward to your reply.

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you.

Best regards,

JunAn_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
DoctorDan
Beginner

Thanks

1 - I already installed/tried the driver from ASUS

2 - Since I've already disabled/replaced the NIC, I doubt that I will revert at this point. I've already spent the $15 and I won't be able to recover that by the time the new intel driver is released unless it's within the next 2 weeks.

Also, just as a btw, I started with a z59/i9 10850k setup. I already had problems with the intel i915 linux driver and had to disable that and use a discrete gpu card.

Intel used to be my go-to vendor; I always considered it to be the gold standard. These past few months have caused me to change my opinion. At this point I would be hard-pressed to consider intel for my future systems.

You haven't even corrected the error that appears in the forum login page that I brought to intel's attention over a month ago. Have they done a twitter and laid off the programmers?

0 Kudos
JunAn_Intel
Employee

Hello DoctorDan,

I understand that you've already made the decision to disable/replace the NIC and don't plan to revert back. It's unfortunate that you won't be able to recover the $15 spent, but hopefully the new Intel driver will be released soon and help resolve any issues you're experiencing.

It sounds like you've had some challenges with the Intel i915 Linux driver and had to resort to using a discrete GPU card. You might consider post your experience to Intel graphic/processor community.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/bd-p/graphics

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a negative experience with Intel and it has caused you to reconsider them as a vendor for your future systems. While I may not be able to address your specific concerns, I appreciate you sharing your feedback and hope that Intel takes it into consideration to improve their products and services.

I'm sorry to hear that you have not received a response from Intel regarding the error you reported. It may be worth following up with them to ensure that your report has been received and is being addressed.

If there is no other issue regarding with ethernet products, We will be closing this thread. If you want to continue support, please reply to this community thread and we will reopen your case or create a new one so that we can continue to support you. 

Thank you.

Regards,

JunAn_Intel.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos