Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4866 Discussions

i40e X710 tx ring disable timeout

shieldengr
Beginner

We have a custom XDP AF_Packet application that monitors network traffic.  Prior to starting our application, we bring down the X710 interface and back up.

On one field system, we are seeing consistent errors when we do this while traffic is flowing.    The effect is the card stops observing traffic and sometimes loses link.

These errors usually begin with

i40e 0000:8a:00.0: VSI seid 390 Tx ring 65 disable timeout

And are usually followed by

kernel: i40e 0000:8a:00.1: HMC error interrupt

kernel: i40e 0000:8a:00.1: HMC error info 0x80100301, HMC error data 0x40

We have replaced the X710 card with another X710 card in this system and still see the issue.  We have not been able to replicate the issue on any other system.

The two adapters tried are: Ethernet Controller X710 for 10GbE SFP+

# ethtool -i ens1f0
  driver: i40e
  version: 2.8.20-k
  firmware-version: 6.00 0x800062c5 18.5.17

# ethtool -i ens1f0
  driver: i40e
  version: 2.8.20-k
  firmware-version: 8.30 0x8000ab72 1.2926.0

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shieldengr,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please provide the following information that would help in checking your query. 

1. Exact Operating System used

2. Brand and model of the system where the cards were installed. This is just for our record purposes only.

3. When you mentioned, we have replaced the X710 card with another X710 card in this system and still see the issue. We have not been able to replicate the issue on any other system, does this mean that the issue is specific to only one of your system?

4. Please share the PBA of the adapter. You may refer to the link below on where to find the PBA number. The PBA consists 6-3 digit number located at the last part of the serial number. This would help us identify if you are using an Original Equipment Manufacturer(OEM) or retail version of Intel Ethernet Adapter.

Identify Your Intel® Network Adapter Model Using PBA Number

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007022/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Awaiting to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
shieldengr
Beginner

1. Operating System - Fedora linux with 5.6.6 kernel

2. Brand of system - Supermicro SYS-110P-WTR

3. Correct, we have many of these same systems in production but this issue only occurred on a particular system at one site and we have not been able to reproduce on any other systems.

4. We are not physically onsite to get the PBA of the adapter sticker.  Is there a way it can be queried from within Linux?

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shieldengr,

Thank you for providing the information requested. 

Can you extract Intel® System Support Utility logs from your system? The Intel® System Support Utility scans for system and device information. You may refer to Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/ethernet-products.html

Hoping to hear from you soon. 

Should there be no reply from you, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shieldengr,

I hope this message finds you well!

This is just a follow up on the pending information we requested from thread below for us to continue checking on your query.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Cannot-update-X710-NVM-firmware/m-p/1435198#M31349

If in case that you will be able to share the photos of the adapters, we would highly appreciate as it would help with the investigation. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
shieldengr
Beginner

Please keep this ticket open.  I have been out this week but will soon add the requested information.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shieldengr,

No problem at all. 

We will patiently wait for your update and make another follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

May you have an amazing weekend ahead!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello shieldengr,

Good day!

It looks like you need more time in gathering the information requested. With this, we will be making another follow up after 3 business days. 

Awaiting to your reply. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello shieldengr,

Good day!

I hope this message finds you well. I am just sending another follow up on the information that I requested. Since we have not heard back from you, I need to close this inquiry. 

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you and stay safe.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos