Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5037 Discussions

intel nic drivers 19.3 huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once a few secs

ATay3
Novice

hi, i would like to report that the new intel nic drivers version 19.3 that just released recently has huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once in a few secs.

my specs

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

windows 7 SP1 32bit + lastest windows update

i downgrade to intel nic drivers previous version 19.1 and the problem is just gone.

285 Replies
vioni
Beginner

I gave up and went back to windows 8.1, using 18.5 driver suite.

while there are some time to time spikes of ndis.sys they don't create any stutter on windows 8.1

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Windows 8.1 pro x64 here installed 20.4.1 driver with absolutely no any spikes anymore here...

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

do you use torrent clients?

I still got some spikes even on windows 8.1, but no mini-freezes or stutters like on windows 10.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Yup, with the latest version of utorrent

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Cel

Further checking and testing, we were not able to reproduce the issue. With regards to the latencyMon result,

this might not be related to I219V since NDIS.sys has nothing to do with the I219V driver.

Please contact your motherboard vendor for further investigation.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

So im guessing its a pure coincidence then that if i switch off network adapter the issue disappears or the fact that people have been discussing ndis.sys driver since 2014, or the fact that i've contacted Asus support 3 times and each time they told me that this is an Intel's issue and got this response last time:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting Asus technical support.

Yes we know about that problem and also we know that it relates to the specifics of this ethernet adapter and it's programming code. All of this relates and being developed by a third party company - Intel. Because of this even if there is ever a solution - it can only be provided by Intel and no BIOS settings will be able to fix that issue.

There are no known solutions to this problem on our side since there are no settings (including BIOS settings) which can somehow fix or influence an ethernet adapter. If there were any driver or BIOS settings to fix this issue - we would've expected Intel to provide them already.

Since this issue appeared only on the resent OS - it is related to software programming and will probably be fixed later. Meanwhile you can buy a cheaper discrete network card and use it instead.

Also - what about tcpip.sys? This issue appears every single day since i bought my pc, even on clean installation of windows. It starts slowly then progresses to huge lag spikes of both tcpip.sys and ndis.sys.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Well.... it seems like Intel know shifting off so much......

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

if you wouldn't refuse the do the proper tests using lame excuses you will be able to reproduce it in less than half of hour.

meanwhile you pretend to checking further on the issue for years.

whith sales so high and so much money we are bringing into your company...I would never pick intel as unserious company with such poor driver support.

and to think I bought my motherboard to specificaly have an integrated intel NIC. won't make that mistake again...

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

I wrote to Asus support again and this is the answer i've got:

Greetings!

Thank you for contacting Asus technical support.

Our engineers are still certain that the problem exists on the Intel's side and perhaps partially on the Microsoft side as well, and this is completely logical since this issue does not appear on Windows 7 or 8/8.1 in our testing labs but it does appear on Windows 10 while using same testing methods. This means that this issue is probably not hardware related (though it could be related to the constructive problems of a microchip of the ethernet controller), so the issue seems to be unrelated to a manufacturer of the motherboard.

Asus company cares for its costumers and when we find clear issues with our products we are always doing everything we can to fix them if its in our powers. Unfortunately in this case there is nothing we can do to fix this.

Again - i've translated it to English almost word for word.

Just to be clear - i do not defend Asus company but in this particular case i trust them more than i do the guy who's claiming to be from Intel. Either they did the testing wrong or used wrong drivers, wrong windows version or did not wait long enough/used internet long enough for the issue to appear. Sometimes it takes some hours, sometimes it appears immediately.

Also i've just spent several hours testing ethernet adapter and i can confirm that switching it off fixes this issue. Enabling it again causes immediate huge latency spike in ndis.sys driver, as well as sound stuttering.

So the idea that ndis.sys (network driver interface specification) is unrelated to 219v driver is completely incorrect.

Just to reiterate:

1) Asus confirmed again that this issue happens on Windows 10 (possibly x64 or both) systems and it is related to Intel's software, or less plausibly - to Intel's hardware (microchip).

2) NDIS.sys IS in fact related to I219V driver as switching ethernet adapter on and off causes immediate latency spikes even on a clean system installation.

3) Issue seems to be appearing gradually and in 12-15 hours every single opened page or download causes latency spikes with NDIS.sys (over 8k) as well as "interrupt to process latency" spikes over 20k and 10-30ms execution time delays.

0 Kudos
RM61
Beginner

Same here. Using Asus P8Z77-V with Intel 82579V. Huge DPC spikes with sound crackle on Windows 10. Every 15-30 minutes system freezes for ~0.5 seconds.

Switching to integrated Atheros wi-fi and disabling intel card fixes the issue. But wi-fi isn't good for online gaming. So, broken driver forced me to downgrade to Windows 8.1.

This huge issue needs to be fixed fast.

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

i have tryed every single driver there is available for windows 10 x64 for my integrated i218-V... nothing

when i open a torrent client dpc latency goes thru the roof.

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi apoklyps3,

Understand you tried several drivers, just to double check if you have tried the driver 20.4.1 at

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

yes. nothing changed.

don't guys test these yourselves? it takes less than 5 minutes to do so

0 Kudos
Ddomi1
Beginner

hi, just decided to register so i can reply as well since i read this topic since september. i have the same issue.

Asrock h97 pro4 on windows 10

tryied with all the kind of driver without any results. of course i started with the asrock website 1st.

a software that can increase DPC ? team speak, just logging in into a server without talk or listen anyone talking dpc goes high.

0 Kudos
YMast
Beginner

same here, but AGAIN !

strange thing is that i resolve this issue when i disable Intel EIST (speedstep) on my mobo. and that was fine couple month until i decide to install software for mobo which control fans in case (probably because app. working changes direct in bios and switch some settings).

After that i again have constant latency around ~1000

latencymon telling it`s ndis.sys issue...

I really don`t know what can be anymore, because i try many options and lose many hours on this, but i/we need solution for this, computer is not fully useful with this issue...

conf. is:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 4771

Asus MAXIMUS VI HERO

ASUS Xonar Essence STX Audio Device

0 Kudos
YMast
Beginner

Interesting, seems that this is not NIC related..

I successful resolve issue again with turning off on mobo all parts about power saver, c state, voltage controller and similar automatic stuff which mobo have.

So, for all, try to disable ALL automatic stuff in bios... experiment with turning off/on options.. i bet you will resolve dpc latency issue.

But what now? seems that this is only applied on intel CPU ? is there AMD users with this issue?

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Every single motherboard is different. I've got more than a hundred settings in my UEFI bios and i barely know what a third of them does.

Messing around in bios on a bet that it MIGHT help is not a solution.

0 Kudos
YMast
Beginner

not MIGHT, IT WILL! just try, take your mobo manual book and search for power saver features and try with disable, i bet you will solve the issue.

But where is the problem is really good question... intel should work on this and find answer!

Here is my dpc latency after disable all mobo features about power saving:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzhbdx09z5be85v/latency.PNG?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzhbdx09z5be85v/latency.PNG?dl=0

i still have biggest latency by NIC card, but issue with video/games/audio are gone after turning off those options...

p.s: i was have latency around 1000 !!

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

no torrent client running = not relevant.

0 Kudos
CX
Beginner

Well i've tried disabling several different bios settings which could've been related to network, cpu or ram - nothing worked.

I can also confirm that the longer your pc is switched on - the worse the issue gets. After i just switch on the pc i get an occasional lag spike when im downloading something big or watch a youtube video and download something. After 8 or so hours it gets worse and simply refreshing the browser page causes huge lag spike with ndis.sys driver.

0 Kudos
YMast
Beginner

which mobo you have?

0 Kudos