Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
5004 Discussions

intel nic drivers 19.3 huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once a few secs

ATay3
Novice

hi, i would like to report that the new intel nic drivers version 19.3 that just released recently has huge 6000+ dpc latency spike once in a few secs.

my specs

Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

windows 7 SP1 32bit + lastest windows update

i downgrade to intel nic drivers previous version 19.1 and the problem is just gone.

285 Replies
PLee27
Novice

I've just read the release notes of driver 20.3 and I've found this item in Known Issues part inside:

Audio or video distortion when LAN cable is connected or disconnected

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Momentary audio distortion or video playback issues may occur when you

connect or disconnect a LAN cable to the onboard Ethernet port.

Intel(R) 82577 and 82578 based network connections are affected by this

issue.

God! Not only 82577 and 82578, but my 82579 too! Serious glitches from my 82579 too!

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Parco,

Good day. Please be informed we will coming up with a fix soon but there is no exact time when this will be available. Rest assured this is being look into.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

wb Thanks for the information. Please keep us informed..

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

It happens also with Intel 218V NIC integrated by Z97 chipsets.

the main issue that it causes sound glitches and mini freezez when running certain programs like qbittorrent on windows 10.

It seems to be an issue with the drivers for windows 10 .

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi apoklyps3,

Thank you for the info. We will post the update when it is available.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
SBris2
Beginner

Hi there,

I would like to also report the exact same issue with high latency on a 82579 in Windows 10. This issue is very inconvenient and I hope a fix is soon on the way.

Cheers

lockian

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi Lockian,

Thank you for the post. We are still checking on this,we understand this issue has been encountered by many. Rest assure this is being look into.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
SRose7
Beginner

I've got the same problems on my I218-V embedded in my motherboard as well, with the latest 20.3 drivers on Windows 10 x64.

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

I tried every driver available and still get the problem.

Latency Mon sugests ndis.sys causing this.

might be windows 10 related more than intel drivers related.

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

Nope, Windows 10 is not alone, all from Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with intel drivers gets the exactly same problem.

0 Kudos
PPend
Novice

The reason this is flagged as Windows 10 issue is that there is a working driver for older Windows (it is not the latest version) - See the post further up this thread:

Intel(R) Network Connections Software Version 19.1 Release Notes

================================================================

March 10, 2014

Hi there,

The downloaded files unfortunately do not contain version numbers in the file name or details.

Luckily I do have the old file saved, although it doesn't work with Windows 10. I opened the archive with WinRAR and viewing the readme.txt shows

Intel(R) Network Connections Software Version 19.1 Release Notes

March 10, 2014

The Windows 10 version (same procedure):

Intel(R) Network Connections Software Version 20.2 Release Notes

June 25, 2015

0 Kudos
SKanh
Beginner

Any update on this. I've been holding off upgrading to Win10 until this is resolve?

0 Kudos
st4
New Contributor III

Hi KanaryProductions,

We will come up with a newer driver version soon. The driver will be posted on the website once available.

rgds,

wb

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

There is a new update on Station-Drivers; http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=4&id=1107&Itemid=255&limitstart=8&lang=fr# 9541 Intel® Ethernet Connections CD 20.4.1 - and I can confirm that it works great so far on my 82579V NIC on Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)! Finally! Please try it out and see if it works for you.

0 Kudos
BRach
Beginner

Hello,

I tested Intel® Ethernet Connections CD 20.4.1 which installed driver 12.15.30.0 dated 18.8.2015.and the problem is still not fixed for me .

This is on Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) with Intel 82579V NIC .

Please fix this .

Thank you .

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

I'm sorry to hear that.

Did you just install the driver or did you uninstall the previous (which I suppose is 19.1?) one first?

Are you still getting those regular DPC spikes at 6000+ every few seconds even with this driver?

Has anyone else tried it?

Here's how it looks for me right now with 20.4.1 driver package:

... and here it's how it used to be with 19.3 - 20.3 drivers

0 Kudos
PLee27
Novice

huuh....... sorry but this known issue is still existed:

Audio or video distortion when LAN cable is connected or disconnected

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Momentary audio distortion or video playback issues may occur when you

connect or disconnect a LAN cable to the onboard Ethernet port.

Intel(R) 82577 and 82578 based network connections are affected by this

issue.

Or maybe the issue is still existed only other than Windows 10?

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

Strange, some of the guys at Station-Drivers also said their DPC latency spikes were gone with this driver set (first driver in a while that doesn't suffer from it). It could be that it doesn't work for everybody yet, which could explain that it's not available through Intel Download Center yet. Maybe there is more testing to be done... but according to both LantecyMon and DPC Latency Checker there is a huge improvement, at least for me and a few others. So, something has been accomplished I think!

I think the screenshots above confirms that. I can't say what the status is on Windows 10... I would try it out if it weren't for another catastrophic experience I had with Windows 10 that made me reinstall Windows 7 in total hurry.

0 Kudos
vioni
Beginner

You are on Windows 7...just upgrade to Windows 10 and see how the problem is still here for us

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

I'm sorry but I can't do that at the moment. This is not going to make any sense, but I'll try to keep it short: There was a critical issue with my hard drives (older Samsung 1 TB disks). Firmware issue. I suspect that Windows 10 alters something in UEFI/BIOS or something, whatever it was it caused a slight panic situation since my hard drives started spinning up and down like every other second and this continued non-stop. I saw the health warning in the S.M.A.R.T readings in HD Tune on "Calibration Retry Count" was way off. So I had to get rid of Windows 10 quickly. The "spin up & down issue" was still there when I installed Windows 7, but I solved it by erasing my UEFI with a special tool called Flash Toolkit (FTK) and then reflashing it with an older UEFI backup, thus restoring everything back to safety (for the hard drives I mean).

Sorry, I'm waaaaay off-topic now. But I can't install Windows 10 with those hard drives until I get new ones.

0 Kudos
ASell
Novice

The new 20.4.1 drivers can be found on Intel Download Center for most operating systems now, including Windows 10 it appears.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10 Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23071/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-8-1- Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows 8.1*

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21642/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-8- Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows 8*

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18713/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7- Download Network Adapter Driver for Windows 7*

I have no idea how the other drivers other than those for Windows 7 works. But they're fresh from the oven at least.

0 Kudos