FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

100G Ethernet MAC : Transceiver configuration

HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I was looking at 100G low latency MAC Hard IP in stratix 10 FPGA. Here, I observed that 100G is achieved by 4 lanes of transceiver channels each running at 25Gbps. My understanding is Internally in the MAC, the payload will be distributed to 4 transmitting channels and receiver receives the contents in 4 different RX and combines to form the actual payload data.

But, the design doesn't employ any channel bonding. I am curious how the skew is taken care in the PMA without employing channel bonding (PMA-only) as all the 4 channels carry part of the same payload.

What is the logic behind this (not having channel bonding for x4 channels to support 100G)?

With regards,

HPB

13 Replies
Deshi_Intel
Hi HPB, There is deskew buffer design in RX PCS path to manage the skew induced within the 4 channels. Thanks. Regards, dlim
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi @DeshiL_Intel​ ,

In my view, Deskew buffer will take care the PCS skew. How about PMA? Whether PMAs for 4 channels will not contribute to the channel skew?

With Regards,

HPB

Deshi_Intel
Hi HPB, For the RX path, the data traffic needs to pass through PMA first before reaching PCS. All the channel to channel skew impact will be carry forward to PCS path also which will be taken care by deskew buffer logic. Thanks. Regards, dlim
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi @DeshiL_Intel​ ,

Understood.

Basically de-skewing is done similar to the FSM mentioned in the XCVR user guide, page 218

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug_stratix10_l_htile_xcvr_phy.pdf

On the TX side, I think soft bonding is also performed as in page 216 of above link.

By the way, Can I get a rough idea of how much skew could be added by the PMA blocks for at least 2 channels in a XCVR bank?

Also, for 100G spec, I believe that the PMA skew requirement is 13ns max. on each direction.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi HPB, I think you can checkout the FPGA package length report between 2 XCVR channel in below link. goto tools, models, and Libraries -> Net length reports https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/support-centers/board-design-guidelines.html#Tools--Models--and-Libraries Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I checked it. Unfortunately, the report doesn't cover transceiver IOs.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi HPB, Sorry about that. I found XCVR channel to channel skew spec of 61ps from Stratix 10 datasheet doc in below link https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/s10_datasheet.pdf You can refer to datasheet table 43 and table 54. Thanks. Regards, dlim
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I think, above data is for x6 bonded configuration. As I am not using Master CGB, above data is not useful. I think we need to refer to transceiver user guide, page 300 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/ug_stratix10_l_htile_xcvr_phy.pdf

3.9.4. Skew Calculations.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel
Hi HPB, The datasheet shown both spec for x6 and x24 but you are right, the spec is meant for CGB bonding configuration and you are not using it. Yes, as alternative, you can also refer to user guide chapter 3.9.4 Thanks. Regards, dlim
0 Kudos
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi @DeshiL_Intel​ ,

Is there any special skew calculation/estimation method for adjacent channels in a bank other than 3.9.4. Skew Calculations. In my view, the skew must be minimum between adjacent channels and increases with channel neighborhood. Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

With regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

​Hi HPB,

Sorry, we don't have other calculation method.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to implement Soft Bonding feature to support my requirement with 20.625Gbps. I understand that I need to set TX Core FIFO mode to Interlaken to get the fifo control ports as mentioned in the Soft bonding flow in the Transceiver userguide.

I am facing some problem while I configure L-tile native PHY in Interlaken mode. So, is it possible to share the native phy configuration required to use 100G Ethernet IP, so that I can use the same setting in my implementation?

With regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi HPB,

Have you generated 100G Ethernet example design and checkout the NativePHY setting in it ?

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos